Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone ever done this before?

I have an older Sigma lens whose rear element went foggy, unable to clean it because it's plastic. Now I have two other Sigma lenses and was thinking since the older lens was particularly sharper at 300mm than the other two, I could take the rear element from one of my other lenses and swap them out. All are Sigma 70-300mm Macro lenses. The older one is an APO model though and the other two, neither is APO nor DG models. All three are AF lenses with same f stops. Would it work?

06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I haven't done that with those lenses before, but I have swapped rear elements on cheap primes before and it can change stuff alot. I would go for it and see what happens. A fun experiment!
06-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have an older Sigma lens whose rear element went foggy, unable to clean it because it's plastic. Now I have two other Sigma lenses and was thinking since the older lens was particularly sharper at 300mm than the other two, I could take the rear element from one of my other lenses and swap them out. All are Sigma 70-300mm Macro lenses. The older one is an APO model though and the other two, neither is APO nor DG models. All three are AF lenses with same f stops. Would it work?
Assuming the lenses don't break during disassembly, I think the APO version has different optics than the earlier lenses, so probably won't work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the APO version has different optics than the earlier lenses, so probably won't work.
Thanks for your input Adam. I'm not too worried about breaking them. The APO version has already been disassembled, me trying to clean the rear element and I didn't break it.

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
I haven't done that with those lenses before, but I have swapped rear elements on cheap primes before and it can change stuff alot. I would go for it and see what happens. A fun experiment!
I guess I'm just going to try it.
I'm a computer tech too so I know how to be careful with disassembling equipment and reassembling them.

06-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'plastic rear element' ?
06-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
plastic rear element' ?
Yes. I was surprised to learn that when I disassembled it to try and clean it.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-02-2016 at 08:31 PM.
06-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yes. I was surprised to learn that when I disassembled it to try and clean it.
There isn't a plastic cleaner you can use to clean it? I was speaking to a framer the other day, and they mentioned that you can't use glass cleaner (Windex) on plexiglas (used instead of glass when framing large photos), but there is something else intended for cleaning plastic. Maybe that type of thing would be possible here? I mean, it may be worth a try, if your only other alternative seems to be what you are suggesting.

Lee
06-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I searched for plastic cleaner and found nothing suitable for cleaning the type of plastic in the rear element. Especially when I didn't know what type of plastic it was, I was unsure of what to get.