Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #1

Helios 44k-4 aperture issue

Hello all, I've been coming to this forum for years for all my Pentax fixes and discussions but never really needed an account until now.

I currently have a Pentax K5 which I've been using solely with the M series lenses but recently bought a Helios 44k-4 to expand on my classics. After 6 weeks of transit from Russia I got yesterday only to realize the aperture isn't stopping down when mounted on my K5 even with the stop down metering button.
I was wandering if anyone has any experience with this, I've been considering filing off the stop down pin so it is always stopped down when mounted but wanted to double check before doing so.

Thanks in advance

06-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you allow for the use of the aperture ring in the Menu C tab 4 item 27? You also have to use M-mode. Won't work in any other.
06-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yup, I have aperture ring permitted, shoot full manual and the lens is fine. The only thing I use is manual lenses, it just seems the pin doesn't line up with my mount stop down lever.

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 09:01 AM ----------

When I mount the lens stopped all the way down the aperture does open up so it's catching on something, I just don't think there is enough resistance on the stop down lever to actually register the pin as being there. I'm not sure if I explained that well though
06-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerasai Quote
Hello all, I've been coming to this forum for years for all my Pentax fixes and discussions but never really needed an account until now.

I currently have a Pentax K5 which I've been using solely with the M series lenses but recently bought a Helios 44k-4 to expand on my classics. After 6 weeks of transit from Russia I got yesterday only to realize the aperture isn't stopping down when mounted on my K5 even with the stop down metering button.
I was wandering if anyone has any experience with this, I've been considering filing off the stop down pin so it is always stopped down when mounted but wanted to double check before doing so.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like a mechanical problem since you've used M lenses on the camera before. Check the aperture lever as suggested. See if the blades move.

06-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
It almost looks like a Ricoh mount actually

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 09:08 AM ----------

The aperture works, it's snappy and stops and opens when I use the pin. I'm gonna take off the mount and try somethinf.
06-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
k22
Site Supporter

It almost looks like a Ricoh mount actually

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 09:08 AM ----------

The aperture works, it's snappy and stops and opens when I use the pin. I'm gonna take off the mount and try somethinf.
I have two of these lenses and they work perfectly. Compare the mount with an M lens.

PS It should have a lever, not a pin.
06-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
I have two of these lenses and they work perfectly. Compare the mount with an M lens.

PS It should have a lever, not a pin.

Here is a picture of the mounts next to my smc-m 55mm 1.8
I don't see any issues with the helios beside the stop down issue when mounted. I've seen a couple times people mentioned this issue with the k5 but I don't think there would be anything different between a k5 and say a k200d mount, right?

06-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
k22
Site Supporter

Here is a picture of the mounts next to my smc-m 55mm 1.8
I don't see any issues with the helios beside the stop down issue when mounted. I've seen a couple times people mentioned this issue with the k5 but I don't think there would be anything different between a k5 and say a k200d mount, right?
Looks like mine. When you stop-down-meter do you hear the lever release? Are you fully mounting the lens? With the lens mounted do the blades open and close when you move the aperture ring - they shouldn't?
06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
I don't hear the lever release, it's the first thing I noticed when I went to meter. It's fully mounted and the apertures blades do not move when changing f stops.
06-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
k22
Site Supporter

I don't hear the lever release, it's the first thing I noticed when I went to meter. It's fully mounted and the apertures blades do not move when changing f stops.
If it's fully mounted and the blades stay wide open when changing f stops, the camera is engaging the lens lever. It's not that complicated mechanically. You should at least hear the camera lever releasing. Re-check camera settings as others suggested.
06-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
I have re-checked, a few times now.
Manual mode, aperturing ring allowed, stop down button works (just tried different lens), lens is clicked into place and double checked with a firm grip. Still isn't stopping down. I don't ever change my settings since I don't own any auto aperture or auto focus lenses.
06-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I see that the mount is receded in the middle more than the pentax mount. Maybe the contacts do not touch the mount. That may cause the camera thinking there isn't a lens, and it won't stop down. The contacts must touch the lens mount and is has to be conductive.
06-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I see that the mount is receded in the middle more than the pentax mount. Maybe the contacts do not touch the mount. That may cause the camera thinking there isn't a lens, and it won't stop down. The contacts must touch the lens mount and is has to be conductive.
I will test it now with some aluminum foil, any ideas for a more permanent solution if that's the issue?
06-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Change the mount with another one from some old broken lens?
06-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
It worked! A single layer of aluminum foil on the lens mount and it stops down just fine. Thank you so much for the tip

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 10:26 AM ----------

I'm gonna look for some cunductive tape or see if it's possible for me to get a mount from a hazed 50mm I have to fit it as a solution.