Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D FA macro lens CiF question

I own the D FA 50 2.8 macro and this morning I was out shooting with it. I was thinking how I wished I could use Catch in Focus with this lens. And sure enough - you can, if you turn on the Focus Clamp. It works great. But I just wanted to double-check here to see if doing this could possibly cause any problems for the lens. I don't think it does because turning on the focus clamp appears to de-activate autofocus. The camera LCD changes from AF.S to MF. So, I can't imagine it would be putting any stress on anything. Am I missing something? This seems like a great trick, but I want to make sure I don't do any damage.

Thanks!

06-03-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Since the clamp effectively works like an AF/MF switch, you're good to go. It's designed to allow for focus adjustments, just with increased resistance, so I doubt you'll break anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's awesome. Thanks Adam!
06-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wait, does the Focus clamp act the same as an on-lens AF/MF switch? Didn't know that. Interesting information. I can't get CiF with any of my DA or DFA lenses. Good to know that some still support it
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
The camera LCD changes from AF.S to MF.
I think this is proof enough, but maybe others can chime in as well

06-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait, does the Focus clamp act the same as an on-lens AF/MF switch? Didn't know that. Interesting information. I can't get CiF with any of my DA or DFA lenses. Good to know that some still support it

I think this is proof enough, but maybe others can chime in as well
I never knew that. I would have assumed I'd used CiF with the D FA100 for some macro stuff but I guess it must have been with my old Kiron 105. You're right, it doesn't work with the D FA.
06-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It DOES work with the D FA if you turn on the focus clamp, at least it works with the D FA 50.
06-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

It DOES work with the D FA if you turn on the focus clamp, at least it works with the D FA 50.
The D FA100WR has no focus clamp.

06-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The D FA100WR has no focus clamp.
Ah, I see. Thanks. The non-WR has one, doesn't it?
06-03-2016, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, I see. Thanks. The non-WR has one, doesn't it?
Yes it does.

And...

... holey moley it works just as you've said! I had no idea. I can't see it causing any problems since the camera knows the clamp is active and I'm sure you'd hear the AF motor if it was actually engaging.

Thank you! You've taught my beloved dfa100mm a new trick
06-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Yes it does.

And...

... holey moley it works just as you've said! I had no idea. I can't see it causing any problems since the camera knows the clamp is active and I'm sure you'd hear the AF motor if it was actually engaging.

Thank you! You've taught my beloved dfa100mm a new trick
Thanks for confirming it works on the non-WR 100! And you're welcome!
06-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for confirming it works on the non-WR 100! And you're welcome!
Pentax giveth (WR) and Pentax taketh away (focus clamp).

I've no idea what their reasoning was for removing it.
06-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that is a shame, gatorguy. Based on some of the comments I've seen on the forum, I have to guess they figured it wasn't a feature people used all that much. Or maybe it was hard to make the lens WR with the clamp switch on it? Anyway, that settles which 100mm macro I will buy. Definitely the non-WR. CiF is way too helpful for macro photography to give up.
06-04-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Or maybe it was hard to make the lens WR with the clamp switch on it?
Yeah, making a lens WR without an aperture ring, without focus clamp, without focus limiter.. might be easier than with all of those things. But especially with macro lenses, those are very useful. I find them to be the main, possibly only, drawbacks on the DFA 100mm WR. The previous Pentax 100mm macro lenses have the same optical design, but different feature sets.
I don't have a DFA 50mm macro, but it certainly looks like a great lens, and using CiF is a good feature to have, especially in macro