Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Prime vs Zooms and changing lenses.

Just a remark from my last outing.

Last outing in Verona and Sirmione, Italia, I took DA15, DA35 ltd, FA77 and the 55-300 that was brought initially for a Safari. To replace the F135 in the bag.

I am so used to the small primes, that overall I didn't enjoy much using the 55-300. It felt big and when I used it I wanted more to switch to another lens than when I used the FA77. I also find the operation more bothersome than with the FA77.

I didn't really miss the DA21 that stayed home excepted when friend asked for environemental shots. I used the 35 for that as DA15 is too wide. But that's rationnalization. i didn't feel the lack of the 21.

I didn't have the issue at a zoo when most shoots needed 300mm+ and I used only the 55-300.

=> I am most happy with 3 small primes

Maybe that's irrationnal, but as I am not a pro, I don't have to have any productivity anyway. I can choose what I like best anyway

06-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Maybe that's irrationnal, but as I am not a pro, I don't have to have any productivity anyway. I can choose what I like best anyway
To each his own in this sort of thing. The one benefit a zoom always provides is speed, when you need it. Light is nice, but if you miss the shot because you are hanging lenses, then ....

Y seem to like the lower end of the focal lengths as the 77 was the only tele you had. The 55-300 is really like an 80 to 450 in the 35mm world, so a pretty far reach, and even bigger and heavier in that world too!

Regards,

BD
06-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

IF you like using what you have, that is great, many great photographers used only one or two lenses for their entire careers.
06-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Last outing in Verona and Sirmione, Italia, I took DA15, DA35 ltd, FA77 and the 55-300 that was brought initially for a Safari. To replace the F135 in the bag.

I am so used to the small primes, that overall I didn't enjoy much using the 55-300. It felt big and when I used it I wanted more to switch to another lens than when I used the FA77. I also find the operation more bothersome than with the FA77.

I didn't really miss the DA21 that stayed home excepted when friend asked for environemental shots. I used the 35 for that as DA15 is too wide. But that's rationnalization. i didn't feel the lack of the 21.

I didn't have the issue at a zoo when most shoots needed 300mm+ and I used only the 55-300.

I agree with you and would take the same selection except that I would be at a big loss without the DA 21. It is overall my most used lens.

06-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I agree with you and would take the same selection except that I would be at a big loss without the DA 21. It is overall my most used lens.
Yeah I am not thinking to sell it neither. I know it depend a lot of subjects. For cities, DA15 is nice. But 21mm is also quite interresting focal length.

I kind of traded of in the bag the 21 & 135 for the 55-300. Not sure I liked it more that way
06-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
To each his own in this sort of thing. The one benefit a zoom always provides is speed, when you need it. Light is nice, but if you miss the shot because you are hanging lenses, then ....

Y seem to like the lower end of the focal lengths as the 77 was the only tele you had. The 55-300 is really like an 80 to 450 in the 35mm world, so a pretty far reach, and even bigger and heavier in that world too!

Regards,

BD
I like teles, in particular the FA77 for cities and wandering around because it does nice portrait shoot and it very usefull to get some perspective compression. This is quite usefull in a city to give a different rendering.

I also like my F135 quite a lot, and its biggest asset to me is portraiture.

The 55-300 is nice, but it is just in a sense you have to prioritize things. The only real occasion for 150mm+ that weekend was garda lake with distant landscapes, ducks, swans and sparrows. And the distant landscapes, there was distant fog so that was not really possible. And I am not much of a birder.

As for what I miss well I miss photos all the time. Like everybody. the things we miss are infinite in number, because we didn't take the camera, because we didn't see it, because we didn't take the time, because we were not here, because the gear/lens stayed home, because we didn't anticipate, because the composition was wrong...

Among all theses stuff, there the things one miss because one change lenses. Or tuning AF, exposure, apperture, whatever... That's another area of lost shoots. It still happen with zooms if you take specialized one (55-300, 12-24 or 17-50 are examples) that do not cover everything. You could take a super zoom only but then, you'd miss the shallow dof shoots, the macro shoots etc. After all with just DA15, DA35 ltd and FA77 I manage UWA, macro, standard, and shallow dof...

I don't feel like this is that big issue. Even normhead that is big proponent of zooms recently brought a DA*200 instead of a 70-200 and explained that anyway, what got him the best shots is to anticipate and prepare for them.

I agree that in some cases you need zooms, and that's fine too. But all in all, if you are not a pro with client expectation you can still do what you want.
06-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use 24mm sigma SuperwideF2.8,,, 40mmltdF2.8,,,50mm plastic fantastic F1.8 then add a Tc 1.4x to get a 70mm F2.5 and the 55-300mm.I'm happy with what they provide and can switch to crop mode if I need longer.
06-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I also prefer primes and change the lenses on the field. I hope you had enjoyed my hometown and the lake.

Even if I find a place hard to shoot because of the narrow roads always in the shadow and the constant pollution in the centre of the town that mutes the colours.

All these shots besides number three were taken with prime lenses....some people look at me amazed because I go around with a small bag with four or five lenses and I change them on the spot, many has taken me for a serious professional.

06-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The city is fantastic, really nice center ! Fantastic churchs !

The only thing is I could not visit the arena as there was unfortunately for me Adele in concert.

I didn't find issues with colors or polution but yes, there hard constrasts with the nice weather... If you want I'll post a few picture when I'll taken the time to develop them.
06-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's unfair to compare the 55-300 to primes in much shorter focal lengths. Compare it to a 300mm prime and you'll see that the 55-300 is fairly compact.
06-05-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's unfair to compare the 55-300 to primes in much shorter focal lengths. Compare it to a 300mm prime and you'll see that the 55-300 is fairly compact.
Life is unfair.

There a reason I don't have long tele primes (longer than 135mm) you know
06-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

For general walk around photography I snap on the Sigma 18-250 - done.

I might drop the FA 35 into my pocket if I have a strong suspicion I might need it's extra light and/or resolution but only very rarely.
06-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take the da *50-135 and the Sigma 10-20 and that fills all of my needs. I suppose if I had an FA 31 the would find some room for that too

Randy
06-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yeah sure, everybody has his own preferences