Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wobbly barrel on Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm 2.8 360B. Possible fix?

Hi,

I love my Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm 2.8 360B. Great lens, works great with AFA 1.7x. I got many very nice photos from it.

But the lens has a very slight wobble, between the entire rear part and the focus scale ring. Very slight play, maybe 0.5 mm max. But because the lens is so heavy, the slight play makes annoying sounds.

Here are two photos showing the issue. Not very obvious though. 2nd one shows the little space when I lift the lens up by grabbing the rear end. You can see the line above "..5 4 " is slightly thicker.

The lens has been with me for many years, and has always like that, so I don’t think the wobbly barrel could cause any further issue.

I wonder if anyone has seen similar problem, and if it is a possible DIY fix. I have a little experience tinkering MF prime lenses, but of course not at DCshooter’s level.

Thank you!

06-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know nothing about this lens, but wonder if a few well placed pieces of tape would solve this issue. Sure works for zoom creep on push/pull types!
06-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of these babies and though it has seen some use, it is still rock solid. It may just need some servicing. Are the images being compromised? If not, for the cost of a lens tune up, you may just want to live with it. And what are the annoying sounds? There may be grit that has gotten in, again, pointing to a good cleaning.

Regards,
BD
06-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
for the cost of a lens tune up, you may just want to live with it.
The pictures come from the lens are still amazing. It bothers me only when I grab the lens on the red end on the table and hear the click sound when the moment happened. It does not affect focusing or anything else. I do agree with you that for the cost of service and shipping, I will just keep using it. I was hoping there is just a simple fix like tighten a screw somewhere. I have looked but can not find it. I didn't go deep thought, was afraid I would end up with some parts on the table.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
a few well placed pieces of tape would solve this issue
It might be a good idea. If I can not stop it from moving back, I can fill the gap and stop it from going forward. Only problem is the lens is HEAVY. I must do a very good job to fill just right amount of material inside. Thank you!

06-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if it's tilting the front glass relative to the rear glass, there could be an alignment issue to think about.

if tape doesn't work, you could hang it vertically by the small end, and try putting some kind of padded band clamp around the area where the numbers are.

sounds like it really needs to come apart tho.
03-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

any updates on the lens? I recently acquired a 360B as well and it is a really nice lens!