Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheapest Reliable Place to Buy Sigma 17-70mm?

Hi all,

I've been watching for this one on the Marketplace for a couple of weeks now, but it keeps getting scooped up before I can post!

Anyway, I'd rather go for a new one with a full warranty to keep my bases covered, so now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy from for the best price?

I'll need the lens itself, a good long (5+ years? warranty), and a UV filter for protecting the glass.

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

-Tim

07-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

They're a good lens so I'm really not surprised that they get scooped right away.
Since you seem to want a used copy why not post a Wanted add in the marketplace.
And if that doesn't work try B&H
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I picked mine up from eBay seller 'cameraspot.com' aka Delaware Camera (located in Buffalo, NY). I checked them out thoroughly before buying. They have excellent eBay feedback and so I pulled the trigger and haven't regretted it. I called them on the phone beforehand and made them aware of my purchase before doing the Buy-It-Now and Paypal payment. They were EXCELLENT to deal with...

Oh yeah, the price......$325.99 + $15 shipping. I paid sales tax since they're located in NY and they were still cheaper than anyone else.
07-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for cameraspot.com (Delaware Camera). I also got mine thru their Ebay auction for $340 shipped. They are authorized Sigma retailer and I was assured by them that warranty will be honored in case something goes wrong with the lens.

07-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great suggestions.

Is it possible to put a multi-year warranty on the lens purchased through Delaware Camera? I wanted to add the 7 year warranty that I saw available from Tri-State Camera, which was only like $25. It's very important to me that I have a 5+ year warranty, because I have bad luck in general with all sorts of products, and this is a relatively expensive one...

Thanks again!
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I would give them a call. Their phone number should be in one of their listings. Tell them that you're considering an eBay purchase and have some questions regarding the warranty. They should be able to give you all the info you need.
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax Digital SLR (669109) these guys have it, too
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Is it possible to put a multi-year warranty on the lens purchased through Delaware Camera? I wanted to add the 7 year warranty that I saw available from Tri-State Camera, which was only like $25. It's very important to me that I have a 5+ year warranty, because I have bad luck in general with all sorts of products, and this is a relatively expensive one...

Thanks again!
Gentec International, the Canadian distributer of Sigma products gives us a 10 year warranty on all Sigma EX lenses

With that in mind I'd say you might want to check out Henry's as well, being a Canadian store.

07-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I picked mine up from eBay seller 'cameraspot.com' aka Delaware Camera (located in Buffalo, NY). I checked them out thoroughly before buying. They have excellent eBay feedback and so I pulled the trigger and haven't regretted it. I called them on the phone beforehand and made them aware of my purchase before doing the Buy-It-Now and Paypal payment. They were EXCELLENT to deal with...

Oh yeah, the price......$325.99 + $15 shipping. I paid sales tax since they're located in NY and they were still cheaper than anyone else.
Delaware Camera is a SIGMA dealer too ( Sigma - Where to buy ) and you can get extra 20-25% off if you
will buy it @ eBay using PayPal to pay by going first to eBay through evil M$ Live Search ( read - eBay ), so the price will be $340.99 - $65.20 cash back (today @ $20%)... use some decent credit card and get 1%-3% cash back extra on top of that.
07-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you actually go to the store, they will quote you $400 on the lens UNLESS you mention the eBay price, in which case they will give it to you at eBay price. (I got my Sigma 17-70 there on a trip to visit my girlfriend in March.)
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
If you actually go to the store, they will quote you $400 on the lens UNLESS you mention the eBay price, in which case they will give it to you at eBay price. (I got my Sigma 17-70 there on a trip to visit my girlfriend in March.)
Funny you should mention this. I went on a college hunting road trip this past weekend and Buffalo (BU) was one of our stops. Before we left town Friday morning, I happened to see the Delaware Camera store (unless there's more than one), but it was too early in the AM and they weren't open yet. I would've stopped in if it was later in the day. Even though I'm still serving a buying "ban" it would've been worth it to take a peek. Now I'm hoping she (my daughter) opts for BU so I can stop in there from time to time. The Sigma 18-50/F2.8 is on my short list of upgrade lenses...
07-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Funny you should mention this. I went on a college hunting road trip this past weekend and Buffalo (BU) was one of our stops. Before we left town Friday morning, I happened to see the Delaware Camera store (unless there's more than one), but it was too early in the AM and they weren't open yet. I would've stopped in if it was later in the day. Even though I'm still serving a buying "ban" it would've been worth it to take a peek. Now I'm hoping she (my daughter) opts for BU so I can stop in there from time to time. The Sigma 18-50/F2.8 is on my short list of upgrade lenses...
Del Cam is nice but not THAT nice. You should convince her to go to school in NYC if you want to go camera shopping.

Ra-Lin in Syracuse seemed to have the widest variety of equipment and accessories that I've seen. They have a gigantic Pentax P&S ad on the outside of their store, but I didn't notice any Pentax SLR gear on display inside... That said I was mainly looking at tripods and accessories and don't really recall anything about what cameras they carried. Ra-Lin is interesting in that it's not just a camera shop - it's kind of like a mini department store. Probably why they're still in business when other local shops are dropping like flies. Ithaca Photo in Ithaca and Tuthill's in Vestal are both gone.

To their credit, I think they are the first camera shop outside NYC that I've seen carry a Pentax DSLR body. I think they only had the 200, not the 20 at the time.