Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto-focus 135 mm Prime?

One lens I have that I've always liked is my M 135 (f 3.5) lens. I like its size, its field of view, etc.

However, I'm finding that as my sight is deteriorating, I can't make use of the lens as much as I like. I've gotten hooked on an all prime kit, and wonder if anyone is aware of any 135 mm (+/-) that could be a good replacement. Currently I use the 18-135 zoom and/or the 60-250 mm, but I'd prefer a decent prime sized like the 135's that are already out there that is faster than the 5.6 that the 18-135 limits us to.

Does anyone think Pentax or Ricoh will potentially make such a lens now that the K-1 is out?

06-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's possible that they will, but until then there's always the F and FA 135mm F2.8 . They're both pretty good- see the lens database.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think there is any 135mm AF prime for Pentax available brand new at the moment. There are third party lenses, like Samyang 135mm, and possibly Mitakon, but these are MF only. Then there are legacy lenses, like F and FA - these two have AF. A and M and older do not. You might want to look at DA 50-135mm - it is a very popular lens, almost as fast as a prime.

Since you mentioned eyesight, you might want to think about buying a viewfinder loupe with a little magnification. If you enjoy using manual primes, you can also install a focusing screen. There are some threads about these focusing aids already.
06-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
One lens I have that I've always liked is my M 135 (f 3.5) lens. I like its size, its field of view, etc.

However, I'm finding that as my sight is deteriorating, I can't make use of the lens as much as I like. I've gotten hooked on an all prime kit, and wonder if anyone is aware of any 135 mm (+/-) that could be a good replacement. Currently I use the 18-135 zoom and/or the 60-250 mm, but I'd prefer a decent prime sized like the 135's that are already out there that is faster than the 5.6 that the 18-135 limits us to.

Does anyone think Pentax or Ricoh will potentially make such a lens now that the K-1 is out?
My son, who posts in this forum as Nicolas 06, has the F135 f2.8. He really likes it on his K3 (cannot speak for K1 of course). It is a very compact lens, with a built-in hood and screwdrive AF. He bought it second hand.
Compared to new lenses, only weak point is a little more CA.

06-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K1 and DA*200/2.8 ticks two out three boxes......
You might consider the dfa100wr since its small and you would not loose much reach.
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
THe 50-135 is likely too big for what I want, but I've not looked closely at its specs. I've been enjoying a nice sized kit using a 15, 21, 31, 43, 77, and M135 (usually just 3 of them). I wouldn't mind having a 135 that is sized similarly. The 18-135 isn't bad, but now that I am quite hooked on shooting with the 21 through 77 lenses, I have a hard time using the 18-135.

Thanks for the info on the FA. I don't know why I never thought of that one before. I regrettably hadn't looked at the lens database only a couple of online stores. I'll do a bit more research. I think it was a spur of the moment thought thinking that maybe the K-1 would rekindle an interest in that focal length.
06-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The FA 135 is, from personal experience, a very good lens - only an inch longer than the M 135/3.5 and half a stop faster, with an extensible hood like its ancestor. 52mm filter thread, though, rather than the usual common Pentax 49mm, and a fair bit heavier (weight noticeably more toward the front). No AF lens is ever as good at manual focus as one designed for it, but this one isn't too bad, and the results can be optically superb.

It also has all the inbuilt goodies for the transfer-function program line thingy, and I'm not sure the F 135 has those - so it is full-frame ready, and even if a D-FA replacement comes along, I am not selling mine until I've had a chance to try it on a K-1. Above all, it's got an aperture ring, so if you really feel the need to put extension tubes behind it or you want to put it on a K-mount film camera, you can do so without any problems.

06-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
THe 50-135 is likely too big for what I want, but I've not looked closely at its specs. I've been enjoying a nice sized kit using a 15, 21, 31, 43, 77, and M135 (usually just 3 of them). I wouldn't mind having a 135 that is sized similarly. The 18-135 isn't bad, but now that I am quite hooked on shooting with the 21 through 77 lenses, I have a hard time using the 18-135.

Thanks for the info on the FA. I don't know why I never thought of that one before. I regrettably hadn't looked at the lens database only a couple of online stores. I'll do a bit more research. I think it was a spur of the moment thought thinking that maybe the K-1 would rekindle an interest in that focal length.
The DA* 50-135 is a special zoom. It is far lighter than the DA* 60-250 and while 2x heavier than the FA 135 and physically longer and wider, it is a reasonably svelte lens. Couple it with a rubber lens hood and you could leave the 43, 77, 135 at home. BUT that's not what you want. The F and FA 135's and the DFA 100 are all close to your needs. Try the F or FA and then you will know.
06-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You owe it to yourself to give the D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro a look.
06-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I like this lens too - but my beef with it is the lack of a focus limiter. That feature which the F 100 f/2.8 Macro and FA version had is hard to live without. Quickshift helps but a focus limiter is better.
06-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Not the best handling general purpose short tele in my experience. Hunts slowly and noisily if you miss focus, and too much of its extensive travel is in the short distance and macro zone. Best kept for its design purpose, where it is nothing short of outstanding.

Still, if you have a need for a full frame WR short tele prime, it is optically excellent and will do the job well if you use Quick shift focus to get almost there and then put the focus point right on the subject to ensure a first time lock. Miss at the edge and it will hunt through the whole focus range.