Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just got an *istDS, looking for manual focus lenses

Everything between the lines of *** asterisks *** is preamble, skip if you just want my stinkin' questions...

This is my first post, as I've just purchased a brand new *ist DS!

(I had been using a Canon G3 since selling off my Canon F1 and FTb a few years back yet I missed the manual control of those beasties, but this is a digression from the subject at hand...)

So I need a lens or two. I'd prefer manual SMC lenses. I was fond of using 24/35/50/200 on 35mm. Even given the ~1.5 magnification ratio, I'd like to start with, say, a 35 or 50. From what little I've read, any of the Takumars, M, or A would work well (understanding the need for a screwmount adapter in the Tak's case).

QUESTIONS:

Looks like eBay prices for fine specimens of a 50 f1.4 run $70 to $120+. Is that about right?

Data on the 35 f2 are more scant, at least by my searching. Any ballpark prices? Anybody got a spare they want to let go of?

Is there a particular eBayer you'd recommend for buying a screwmount adapter?

Cheers -- and thanks for the informative site.

Scott

02-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I don't deal with Ebay, but keh.com is a used-equipment place that appears to have a variety of stuff in various conditions.

Check the search box for Pentax auto, Pentax manual, and Pentax screwmount.

Some interesting lenses appear and some seem tempting until I look at what I have already.
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm new to ebay. You prolly know more about it than I do, but I've been watching the pricing on the 28's, 50's, 55's, and 135's. You seem to be right on the money for the 50 you mentioned.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can, get the "A" lenses; they work in all exposure modes.

If you want to bomb yourself back to the early sixties then the Takumar screwmounts might be for you! Cumbersome stop down metering, but great optics and well built at that. And still inexpensive.

02-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also have a look at old Pentax cameras that is sold with lenses. Sometimes you can pick up a good lens that way.

Cheers

Eddie
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look mostly at screwmount options, as I prefer to use manual metering or aperature priority and "stop down metering" on the *istDS sounds like Av.

Is there a particular source anyone would recommend for buying a m42 adapter?
02-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Scott

QuoteOriginally posted by capinbuck Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look mostly at screwmount options, as I prefer to use manual metering or aperature priority and "stop down metering" on the *istDS sounds like Av.

Is there a particular source anyone would recommend for buying a m42 adapter?
If you prefer to use manual metering or aperture priority, then you don't have to go to M42 lenses. You can just get either K or M lenses. Both are of K-mount, ie you don't need an adaptor to use them, and both require you to be in M mode for manual metering.

cheers
Kenny
02-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

Most definitely go with a genuine Pentax M42 screw mount adapter. There are some real horror stories about some who have tried the cheaper adapters off of ebay!!

That's my story and I stickin' to it!

Bill

02-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for the tip on the m42 adapter!!!