Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I welcome posts by others, pics or information, reflecting what they have found this old school lens is capable of. Of course, it has limitations, but what can it do when its best is coaxed out of it?

Here are just a couple of additional wide-open f/5.6 image groups taken with the second version (or the third, since there is a K-mount version with tripod mount that must have preceded this Ka-mount version) of the RMC Tokina 100-300/5.6 lens on a K-3. In both cases, the images are in groups, each group consisting of a slightly cropped original image, followed by one or two 100% (i.e., full-size 1:1) crops taken from the original.

With the exception of slight cropping and considerable resizing of the original images, and slight compression of all images, there was no other processing used. [Obviously, some editing, such as for gamma, contrast, and sharpening, would significantly improve each of these images, but I have left them as unprocessed as possible just to illustrate what the lens itself can do.]

100mm f/5.6

100mm f/5.6 100% crop

100mm f/5.6 100% crop

300mm f/5.6

300mm f/5.6 100% crop

It can be seen that, at least wide open at f/5.6, lens sharpness at 100mm is better than at 300mm. In addition, as seen in the last group, purple fringing along brightly lit high contrast edges can be strong (as is common in many older film-era lenses), although this is certainly (!!!) a "worst case scenario" sample (with a white chair in full sun and with the background in deep shade).

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-02-2016 at 06:02 PM.
11-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a FYI for anyone interested in the RMC Tokina 100-300/5.6 -- I put an actual "formal" (LOL) review of it (with some of these pics and some others) online in the PF lens reviews section -

Tokina RMC 100-300mm f/5.6 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
11-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's excellent, Fred!
01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is $80 too much to pay for one of these?

01-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Is $80 too much to pay for one of these?

I would say "yes, too much". It's a decent lens, sometimes surprisingly good, and it's not exactly rare (especially the first version), even if not overly common.
01-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Just a FYI for anyone interested in the RMC Tokina 100-300/5.6 -- I put an actual "formal" (LOL) review of it (with some of these pics and some others) online in the PF lens reviews section -

Tokina RMC 100-300mm f/5.6 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Fred, this is to let you know that I haven't forgotten about my comparing versions I & II and submitting an additional review! I've been a bit more lens-greedy over these holiday months and am a bit side-tracked still exploring some other lens acquisitions. But I hope to get right on it around the end of this month. Then we'll see if we can stir up interest in someone to be a third reviewer.
01-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say "yes, too much"
I kind of thought so but it was an impulse buy from B&H rated 8+ , just couldn't help myself , gonna pair it with my MZ-S ......
01-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I kind of thought so but it was an impulse buy from B&H rated 8+ , just couldn't help myself , gonna pair it with my MZ-S ......

Understood. Well, please do share some pix when you have a chance to put it through its paces.

[Just out of curiosity, I just checked, and on eBay right now is a K-mount one (V.1) right now for $60.00 USD with free US shipping, The seller (with whom I have no connection whatosoever) said: "This is a solid, heavy (700g), all-metal manual focus lens. It is sharp but slow. Seldom used. No dust or fungus or other gremlins that I can find."]

01-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fred, this is to let you know that I haven't forgotten about my comparing versions I & II and submitting an additional review! I've been a bit more lens-greedy over these holiday months and am a bit side-tracked still exploring some other lens acquisitions. But I hope to get right on it around the end of this month. Then we'll see if we can stir up interest in someone to be a third reviewer.

"I've been a bit more lens-greedy over these holiday months" -- I am shocked - shocked, I tell you.
01-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I almost bought that or might also buy it. But it's just comfort in knowing I could just take it back to B&H within 30 days , plus the case comes with it.

I can easily agree with your point -- just consider any little extra cost as insurance, that's all. Besides, you're gonna use the lens frequently enough that the exact price you paid for it will quickly become "old news". Just enjoy using the lens on that MZ-S.
01-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I had the 100-300 f/5.6 (non-A version) and the photos here represent it quite well - low contrast and lots of pf, but easily cleaned up in post (especially so when shooting RAW). It is fairly light considering the build, length and speed. When I was selling these lenses at a shop in the early 1980s, they went for around $119. Despite the nice build, I think pricing over $50 now is asking a lot.

The 100-300 f/4 (AT-X) that replaced it is a fairly major step up - but a real beast. I paid $159 a few years ago, and feel it is a good value up to about $200. Unlike the f/5.6, if needed a good TC can be used with it.
01-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UPS just dropped it off, as it turns out it's not the advertised f5.6 but rather this one Tokina RMC ( Hoya ) 100-300mm f5.0 Close-Focusing zoom Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database the f5. So I don't know if it got better for me or worse??

---------- Post added 01-06-17 at 17:10 ----------

insurance
Yea plus the 1 day shipping. Wish me luck...

---------- Post added 01-06-17 at 17:20 ----------

Side Note: Another reason why I prefer B&H for used items. Once while making a return there which is the same counter they buy used equipment from, there was a guy there with a few bags he was trying to sell and B&H refused half of the stuff he had. They use great scrutiny in regards to purchasing used items they sell. I can't say the same for eBay.
01-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UPS just dropped it off, as it turns out it's not the advertised f5.6 but rather this one Tokina RMC ( Hoya ) 100-300mm f5.0 Close-Focusing zoom Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database the f5. So I don't know if it got better for me or worse??

I am not familiar with that lens (i.e., I am aware of its existence, but I have never owned one of 'em), which I would assume is a bit older. So, I'd say that you still have some exploring to do...
01-07-2017, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

I have never seen one of the f/5 lenses, and have no idea about their quality. I also would have to guess that it is older because I am very well aware of the Tokina RMC lenses from 1978 to 1984 - as we sold a lot of them (Brown, Black, then Ritz photo stores). Tokina went to smaller, variable aperture tele-zooms in the early 1980s. One touch was the rage in those years, but I think the two-stage designs are generally superior (and the lens makers slowly came back to that).
04-14-2017, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This time for sure, Fred! The flowers are blooming, and the sun is out a lot more than even a month ago here. So I've taken out my copy of version 1 this morning, and I'm going to start shooting both it and the version 2 over the next days or couple of weeks. I want to have some images to post or link in my addition to the review.

Here's a DOF vs Bokeh comparison of a lilac bunch, first at f5.6 and then at f8. DOF is very thin on the first one, but bokeh is nice. Second one much more of the bunch is sharp, but, while bokeh is still pretty good, in some of the OOF areas it's less bokehish and more just stuff out of focus. I was handholding these at a shutter speed that was a bit marginal for a lens this size (could also be affecting sharpness). I zoomed for framing and don't recall what focal-length neighborhood I was in. Heck, I was just shooting for fun.

Camera K10D at iso200.