Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I would mention that the FA 28-70 f/4 shot wide open can yield good portrait results. Even though it isn't very sharp past about 50mm, you don't need that for portraits. Color and rendering is nice, and the lens is small in case you do want to close in with a wider view.

You know, that's an interesting option for K-1 owners, because for the foreseeable future, the 24-70 f2.8 is the standard offering and it's big and expensive.

Par for the course, but that legacy lens is another alternative to the mix.

06-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #47

My favorite is my DA *55...just a great lens with wonderful rendering and 3D pop. I also use my Tamron 28-75 and my Tammron 90 macro which are both very capable portrait lenses too.
06-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You know, that's an interesting option for K-1 owners, because for the foreseeable future, the 24-70 f2.8 is the standard offering and it's big and expensive.

Par for the course, but that legacy lens is another alternative to the mix.
I don't know. The Pentax f/4 lens is so small that I question how well it will do in the corners. Having never mounted it on any of my film cameras, I don't know (and that isn't a foolproof indication due to incidence angle problems on digital).

Of all the alternatives out there, I feel the typical K-1 owner seeking a fairly economical, small medium-range zoom should be looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Having shot it extensively on crop and FF Canon, I found it strong on both formats starting at f/4. At the same time, it was borderline terrible at f/2.8 - especially on the long end. It is a better lens in all respects than the Pentax 28-70 f/4 - other than size of course! Even regarding size, the Tamron really isn't bad - and should balance nicely on the K-1 much as it did on the 5D (which was a bit lighter than the K-1).

The new zoom is very impressive, and apparently worth the price if you have the cash. The size and weight is a very valid concern, though. As a former medium format film shooter, I feel pretty strongly (and my back confirms) that the argument for primes gets stronger as you go up in format size. So, Pentax has some work to do in the lens department...
06-16-2016, 04:40 AM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Of all the alternatives out there, I feel the typical K-1 owner seeking a fairly economical, small medium-range zoom should be looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
Well, that's what I use on mine.

I even find my copy okay at f2.8. Sharp at f4, better again at f5.6, etc.

06-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K-3 / K-3II, I'm getting the same results with that lens. Okay at f/2.8 (even quite good, depending on subject and the effect I'm looking for) and great from f/4 down. Lovely little lens.
06-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
On my K-3 / K-3II, I'm getting the same results with that lens. Okay at f/2.8 (even quite good, depending on subject and the effect I'm looking for) and great from f/4 down. Lovely little lens.
You've talked me into it, Mike. Mine is also 'quite good' at f2.8.

The Tammy 70-200 I have complementing it is sharper at f2.8, but that's a seriously nice lens. I know you've had fun and games with your copy, unfortunately.
06-16-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #52
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You've talked me into it, Mike. Mine is also 'quite good' at f2.8.

The Tammy 70-200 I have complementing it is sharper at f2.8, but that's a seriously nice lens. I know you've had fun and games with your copy, unfortunately.
I should have the replacement in a few days (supplier is expecting stock today or tomorrow). It happens - I'm not too concerned about it, merely a minor inconvenience I did get to play with the original copy enough that I know how sharp it can be (manually focused at f/2.8 was very good - better than expected, and from f/4 it was truly excellent)...

06-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Well, that's what I use on mine.

Contrary to popular belief, good lenses (low CA) that are soft with low resolution sensors improve in sharpness as you add megapixels. The 5D had lower pixel density than the old 6 mp Pentax cameras! For me, it was usable only in emergency situations at f/2.8 - and that was back in the days when going from 1600 to 3200 ISO was like jump off a cliff. I'm not surprised that you would be fine with f/2.8 with a newer camera - I'm pretty sure I would agree. My recollection is that the step from 2.8 to 4 was huge when you factor in the contrast improvement, but going to 5.6 was comparatively minor - but it has been years since I used the lens. The 5D is long gone...

The whole debate about whether a lens out-resolves a sensor, or vice-versa, doesn't exist in real-world shooting. In the Pentax world, all that seemed to end when people started adapting (torture testing) K-mounts to the Q.
06-17-2016, 04:06 AM   #54

Original Poster
Okay, I've been thinking a lot about, and I believe that the Sigma 17-50 2.8 for less than 300€ is the best option, maybe a bit out of my budget, but I think that is the better option. In fact i've found one here in Spain on ebay, for 285€ and i'm really thinking to buy it. The other option I'm thinking about would be to buy the DA 50mm now and wait a few months (Until christmas) to buy the Sigma.

Why the 17-50 and no any other? In summer when I go to my fathers town, I use to take some photos to sky at night (astrophotography) so the wider angle will be pretty good for that (wider than the 28)

I don't know. The Pentax f/4 lens is so small that I question how well it will do in the corners. Having never mounted it on any of my film cameras, I don't know (and that isn't a foolproof indication due to incidence angle problems on digital).

Of all the alternatives out there, I feel the typical K-1 owner seeking a fairly economical, small medium-range zoom should be looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Having shot it extensively on crop and FF Canon, I found it strong on both formats starting at f/4. At the same time, it was borderline terrible at f/2.8 - especially on the long end. It is a better lens in all respects than the Pentax 28-70 f/4 - other than size of course! Even regarding size, the Tamron really isn't bad - and should balance nicely on the K-1 much as it did on the 5D (which was a bit lighter than the K-1).

The new zoom is very impressive, and apparently worth the price if you have the cash. The size and weight is a very valid concern, though. As a former medium format film shooter, I feel pretty strongly (and my back confirms) that the argument for primes gets stronger as you go up in format size. So, Pentax has some work to do in the lens department...
Keep in mind, Cartier-Bresson shot great environmental portraits... so it is a matter of what kind of shot is pursued. Very few of his shots were taken from less than 5 feet away, and most of those were for a dramatic effect that did not flatter the face.

We're disagreeing mostly on terminology. The OP has an arsenal of lenses that include AF in the normal-to-somewhat telephoto length. I took his inquiry to mean classic vertical portraits, but possibly the wider concept was meant.

Getting back to his original mission of looking for a relatively inexpensive option, I would mention that the FA 28-70 f/4 shot wide open can yield good portrait results. Even though it isn't very sharp past about 50mm, you don't need that for portraits. Color and rendering is nice, and the lens is small in case you do want to close in with a wider view. As long as the background isn't right behind the subject, f/4 is fine for portrait work, IMHO.
About the 28-70 f/4 I think that it's a great lens, but I prefer to wait and buy the 17-50, in fact I tried again my F 35-80 4/5.6 and is quiet good, It's much better than I thought (It was also my first lens, so I didn't took it serious, and I think that it was a mistake)

So, what do you think about buying the 17-50 for 285€ good price, bad, regular, could I find better offers?

Thanks

Last edited by andermurias; 06-17-2016 at 05:59 AM.
06-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I think the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lenses are excellent all-around lenses. I might have a slight bias against the Tamron because my brother bought one and it fell apart on him - and Tamron refused warranty repair. But it is a fine lens, especially regarding center sharpness. The Sigma is more substantial, and if the size doesn't bother you, better overall especially for landscape work. These lenses are both substantially optically stronger than the more-expensive Pentax 16-50.

They are fine for portrait with the understanding 75mm equivalent on crop is just barely in the classic portrait realm. With the newer sensors (especially the K-3), cropping a bit isn't a problem when shooting the classic head and shoulders vertical portrait. You'll likely enjoy having f/2.8 to work with on portraits. Work with the DA 50 for now, and see if that field of view is comfortable enough. If not, you might want to consider looking at the 17-70 options. They are especially well suited to portraiture, but you're losing some speed as a trade off.
06-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lenses are excellent all-around lenses. I might have a slight bias against the Tamron because my brother bought one and it fell apart on him - and Tamron refused warranty repair. But it is a fine lens, especially regarding center sharpness. The Sigma is more substantial, and if the size doesn't bother you, better overall especially for landscape work. These lenses are both substantially optically stronger than more-expensive Pentax 16-50.

They are fine for portrait with the understanding 75mm equivalent on crop is just barely in the classic portrait realm. With the newer sensors (especially the K-3), cropping a bit isn't a problem when shooting the classic head and shoulders vertical portrait. You'll likely enjoy having f/2.8 to work with on portraits. Work with the DA 50 for now, and see if that field of view is comfortable enough. If not, you might want to consider looking at the 17-70 options. They are especially well suited to portraiture, but you're losing some speed as a trade off.
Hmmm. . .
So if I'm understanding this correctly I may already have all the portrait lenses I need? Currently have both the Sigma 17-50 2.8 and a surprisingly (to me) very good Bower/Samyang 85mm 1.4. If that's correct then my pondering over a *55 or 40 Limited or "other" is done. The Bower has already proven itself to me as a portrait lens, but I've not ever given the Sigma a shot at the shorter range which is where I thought I was lacking.

By the way, my Pentax DA50 1.8 will be going to the marketplace within a day or two. I did give it a shot for portraits and it just doesn't give the "look" I like. Otherwise it's a really nice lens, especially at the price-point. Just not useful in my camera bag.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-17-2016 at 10:09 AM.
06-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #57
Veteran Member

It really depends on whether you miss the range between 50mm and 85mm in shooting portraits. If someone needs a formal portrait, I use the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm and it does very well. I find it just wide enough. I completely agree that the DA 50 doesn't render for portraits well - too much saturation and micro-contrast (which does work well for some other situations).

Overall, I enjoy using the A-35-105 f/3.5 for portrait work. Wide open, it isn't sharp on the wide end but from 50mm upwards it is plenty sharp. If they put that lens out in AF, they would have a real winner.
06-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

It really depends on whether you miss the range between 50mm and 85mm in shooting portraits. If someone needs a formal portrait, I use the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm and it does very well. I find it just wide enough. I completely agree that the DA 50 doesn't render for portraits well - too much saturation and micro-contrast (which does work well for some other situations).

Overall, I enjoy using the A-35-105 f/3.5 for portrait work. Wide open, it isn't sharp on the wide end but from 50mm upwards it is plenty sharp. If they put that lens out in AF, they would have a real winner.
Very much appreciated Jim. Now if I spend a a little bit on PP software I don't feel nearly as guilty about it, and the wife will be a whole lot happier! Any month she doesn't see a new lens come thru the door is a good month for her.
06-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

This just popped up in the marketplace in case anyone is interested. The lens has been mentioned a few times in this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/323878-sal...8-limited.html