Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
size and filter readiness is important to me.....
Not to mention his proximity, so you can clunk him over the head with it if it's a lemon.

I am at times tempted by sub-28mm full-frame Pentax primes, but I have an RMC Tokina 17/3.5 that hasn't yet received its full due and a 19-35mm Vivitar zoom with A contacts that covers the ground in between. Either the Tokina or the Pentax HD 15/4 is going to get the nod for Single In in a few months (July 30's, August 20's, September 10-teens). Must take a couple of test shots tonight and see what the Tokina is like in front of extension tubes (its front filter size is too wide for my reversing ring).

06-15-2016, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Not to mention his proximity, so you can clunk him over the head with it if it's a lemon.
But then I could argue the impact had caused de-centering
06-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm working my way through drawers full of manual primes attempting to cull the ones that aren't exceptional, eventually to be replaced by one or maybe two of the new Zooms. I do have an A20/2.8 for extreme wide and nothing AF longer than 90, so my order of preference was 24-70 then 70-200, then maybe 28-105. But now the 15-30 might just have moved ahead.

As far as other members jumping in to tell you you don't need a K-1 -

Nothing Pentax currently makes - even the 645z - equals K-1 in terms of cost per unit of quality taking into account lenses, and certainly nothing is so much fun. Besides - it's your decision, not theirs, and I don't think you were asking whether you should buy the camera, were you?

Last edited by monochrome; 06-15-2016 at 04:49 PM.
06-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But then I could argue the impact had caused de-centering
If it had a K-1 one attached I doubt you'd be in a position to argue!

06-16-2016, 03:50 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nothing Pentax currently makes - even the 645z - equals K-1 in terms of cost per unit of quality
Does anything that ANYONE makes right now equal it at new-in-store, over-the-counter prices?
06-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #36
Forum Member

I have the K-1 mated to the 15-30, they are both my first new body and lens in 15 years, I don't have any other lens to go on the K-1 as yet so I have to make the most of what I have. It was a tough decision to get that combo.

I like taking landscape images and the lens is ideal, but I also kite buggy and a more powerful lens would have been great. Having only the one lens has forced me to get close and I am getting some great images. I am over the moon with my kit and love the 15-30, the next hard choice is what lens to get next.. I am tempted with the D FA 70-200 F2.8 but it leaves me with a gap in the middle..
06-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As far as other members jumping in to tell you you don't need a K-1 -

Nothing Pentax currently makes - even the 645z - equals K-1 in terms of cost per unit of quality taking into account lenses, and certainly nothing is so much fun. Besides - it's your decision, not theirs, and I don't think you were asking whether you should buy the camera, were you?

Exactly ...+1
The K-1 Part is a Completely Done Deal........its the thingy that goes on the front that has me drooling , questioning , and Pondering
My APSc Isnt going anywhere EVER, and I too am Culling lenses for at least one very Nice lens. Its Long over due.

06-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very interesting discussion. I've had similar thoughts regarding the point of upgrading without the glass to match. Has anyone tried a Sigma 20-40 f2.8 on full frame? My local camera store has a K-1 in stock as well as a Sigma 20-40 f2.8 that's been sitting on a display shelf for the two years I've been visiting the store. My K-5 may be dying and I'm considering the K-1 as an upgrade, but my only real need for full frame would be for low light and occasional ultra-wide shots ( and a combination of the two; capturing the Milky Way + foreground ). I already have a few FF lenses, including a Samyang 14mm f2.8 as well as a FA20, and I'm watching the "convert your 60-250 to FF" ( my paraphrase ) thread very closely; so I wondered whether the Sigma 20-40 would more or less fill the gap in my FF lens line-up nicely and not leave a massive dent in my wallet. I paired the K-1 with my FA20 in the shop ( highly unscientific testing ) followed by the 20-40 and was impressed enough with the centre sharpness of both wide open ( what I'd need for night sky shots?? ), but the 20-40 especially seemed to suffer in the corners wide open ( and bawd, bawd, BAD CA on high contrast areas - ironically the black-on-white Sigma logo on a lens display cabinet ). It may have been the way I was testing it or the environment - focusing on a wall in the shop 4 metres away - but it's not enough for me to judge how well it will behave out in the field as a pair. I know the Sammy 14mm will do well, it seems to have been given the tick of approval from enough people. I might have to go back and take a SD card with me to record the photos to view them in Lightroom.

I then tried the 15-30 ( that is one big lens! . . . and expensive ), and although I ( with more highly unscientific testing ) decided that the centre sharpness didn't seem to be too much better than the 20 or 20-40, the borders seemed much better. I've been stewing about it all afternoon, but unless I hear some favourable opinions on the Sig 20-40 on FF I'm not sure there's any point on shelling out for the K-1 unless I can afford to pair a decent lens to it.

I'm also going on a road trip in a couple of week's time . . . No urgency Focusrite; no urgency!
06-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
I have the K-1 mated to the 15-30, they are both my first new body and lens in 15 years, I don't have any other lens to go on the K-1 as yet so I have to make the most of what I have. It was a tough decision to get that combo.

I like taking landscape images and the lens is ideal, but I also kite buggy and a more powerful lens would have been great. Having only the one lens has forced me to get close and I am getting some great images. I am over the moon with my kit and love the 15-30, the next hard choice is what lens to get next.. I am tempted with the D FA 70-200 F2.8 but it leaves me with a gap in the middle..
ukspeedtraps, get that 70-200 and then an FA 1,4/50 for the gap. You don't have to cover every single mm And you will be most happy to have at least one lens weighing less than 1,5 kg and fitting into your daypack, I promise you...
Focusrite, the same here: Stay with the 2,8/20 that is one great lens! Forget about the Sigma, get an FA 2/35 instead and the 60-250 will already not be too far away... Just dare go prime

Last edited by estost; 06-16-2016 at 09:25 AM.
06-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by estost Quote
ukspeedtraps, get that 70-200 and then an FA 1,4/50 for the gap. You don't have to cover every single mm And you will be most happy to have at least one lens weighing less than 1,5 kg and fitting into your daypack, I promise you...
Been considering a lightweight so thanks for the tip..
06-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Fa43....