Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Today dpreview published a review of the Sigma 2.8 70-200 HSM Makro II. Earlier there was a review of the Tamron equivalent. So should there be any legal issues for Chris, please notice, Ned Bunnell / Pentax, that due to Chris' thread I'll definitely wait for the 60-250 to arrive before investing anything in a lens of that reach and quality.
So, thanks Chris, you have done Pentax a favour, imho.

Jan

07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Ditto. It's on my front burner now after glimpsing those shots.
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sound's like Ned Bunnell needs to find a new line of work. He sure dosen't know how to find out if a product is going to be a Hit or a Miss. I understand why they send lenses out to photographers to see how they will be received, but If they know already that the lens has good optics. As JanG is saying, Why in hell wouldn't they allow photo's to be released to wet people appetites so they don't go and buy the Competitions products.
The photo's almost had me wanting to wait instead of buying the DA* 300. Thanks for the photo's anyway. and If Ned is reading this your a Pudt's
07-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Chris,

In all honesty, this has expressed just how badly Pentax SUCKS!

If they wish to continue to lose the battle with Canon and Nikon then they are more than welcome to keep things going the way they are. This thread being a prime example.

However, if they have even the smallest amount of business sense, they could see that your post helped whip users into a foaming lather of lust for that lens and kept existing users on-board and gave new users a glimpse of how Pentax is going to compete with other manufacturers.

Quite simply, Pentax has 12-24 months left to live unless they start ramping up their competition and producing the lenses required to stay in the game.

I for one will switch to Canon next year if Pentax don't release anything worthy in the lens department. A Canon 100-400 L Series lens is more attractive to me than the K20D body. I'd settle for the 450D or 40D if I have to.

Good work Chris for flying the Pentax flag and being so genuine in your intent. I hope Pentax realise they have a loyal friend in you and continue to support you.

Nick

07-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
in the back of my mind i was wondering whether or not Chris had any NDAs and i guess he has. although the thread's been pulled, it's good to know that the lens is close to production.
If Chris had a formal NDA, or even if they would have just told him it was confidential I know that he would have honored it.
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If Chris had a formal NDA, or even if they would have just told him it was confidential I know that he would have honored it.
true, probably some miscommunication

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Sound's like Ned Bunnell needs to find a new line of work. He sure dosen't know how to find out if a product is going to be a Hit or a Miss. I understand why they send lenses out to photographers to see how they will be received, but If they know already that the lens has good optics. As JanG is saying, Why in hell wouldn't they allow photo's to be released to wet people appetites so they don't go and buy the Competitions products.
The photo's almost had me wanting to wait instead of buying the DA* 300. Thanks for the photo's anyway. and If Ned is reading this your a Pudt's
easy there... who knows the reasoning, i'm more inclined to side with pentax because we don't know all the details... and plus what if the photos turned out terrible and one of the testers reported it publicly. then that would kill the product before it even had a chance.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Chris,

In all honesty, this has expressed just how badly Pentax SUCKS!

If they wish to continue to lose the battle with Canon and Nikon then they are more than welcome to keep things going the way they are. This thread being a prime example.

However, if they have even the smallest amount of business sense, they could see that your post helped whip users into a foaming lather of lust for that lens and kept existing users on-board and gave new users a glimpse of how Pentax is going to compete with other manufacturers.

Quite simply, Pentax has 12-24 months left to live unless they start ramping up their competition and producing the lenses required to stay in the game.

I for one will switch to Canon next year if Pentax don't release anything worthy in the lens department. A Canon 100-400 L Series lens is more attractive to me than the K20D body. I'd settle for the 450D or 40D if I have to.

Good work Chris for flying the Pentax flag and being so genuine in your intent. I hope Pentax realise they have a loyal friend in you and continue to support you.

Nick
look at the roadmap http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/lens/roadmap.pdf, they don't have what you want. sigma has the very excellent 100-300 f4 and the everpresent bigma. if those don't do it for you, you might as well leave now and save yourself and everyone else the trouble.

Last edited by k100d; 07-17-2008 at 06:44 PM.
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know how many people would have bought the upcoming 70-200mm Sigma or Tammi (or whatever starting focal length they are going to be) if they were to come out 1st w/o second thought about this 'ethereal' Pentax lens no one had any confidence was every going to ship... but now there's anywhere from some chance to a good chance they will wait for the Pentax?

They [Pentax corporate] should buy you a new Factory JCW MINI in thanx Chris!

<- aimed @ Pentax corporate!
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
You know how many people would have bought the upcoming 70-200mm Sigma or Tammi (or whatever starting focal length they are going to be) if they were to come out 1st w/o second thought about this 'ethereal' Pentax lens no one had any confidence was every going to ship... but now there's anywhere from some chance to a good chance they will wait for the Pentax?
look at the roadmap, http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/lens/roadmap.pdf, it says Summer 2008. look at the 17-70, it's just coming out already.

the Sigma and Tammy 70-200's are a different boat cuz of their 2.8 apertures and definitely cheaper than the Pentax and they're the same cuz they're all not available for pentax mount yet

07-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Bummer, Chris...

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Dear forum users and viewers,

To my findings this morning I was not in good faith posting photos of the lens or from the lens so I had to pull the thread and trash all associated files from my server. Unfortunately this wasn't made clear in the beginning and to make up for this fowl I have pulled everything and will take proper action to rectify said error.

I would like to request that if anyone has any photos stored that they trash them immediately because again they are my photos and should have never ended up onto the net in the first place.

I apologize to Pentax and more specifically Ned Bunnell and Ken Curry who had faith in us to and expected this to stay under the table. We appreciate all you have done for us in the past and hope this doesn't cause any separation in our relationship.

Dearest apologies,

Chris Warkocki
Ned's just mad cause your photos were better than his...

But seriously, folks, I hope this little indiscretion doesn't do you or the site any long term damage. As soon as you found out, you handled it well. I hope the boys at Pentax will be charitable about this. No damage was done - it just didn't fit their schedule.

And the lens looks fabulous - might cut into my 50-135 purchase, cause I don't need both of them, and I certainly like the extended reach. Also, if this one's full frame...

Nudge, nudge.

Thanks for all your hard work, manno, and Ned and company, if you're listening, give him a break; he did the right thing as soon as he discovered his error. He's obviously sorry, was not done maliciously, and will check carefully next time I'm sure. We're all human; what more could he do? We love you both, and will continue singing the Pentax company song loudly and proudly (do they have one?).

Cheers,
Cameron
07-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm another one who the 'preview' has got interested in this lens.
07-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I really think Pentax needs to re-think their attitude. If they piss off their loyal following, their crap will be museum pieces like Minolta.
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris, I'm just glad that the 60-250mm is alive & well, hope this hasn't caused you to much grief, but it sure has my LBA back on track.

Wal'
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm thinking if Chris got a pre production sample and as he said that the lens was beat up ( if I remember ) Pentax probably didn't want people to get the impression of how the lens perfromed from a poor performing sample that has been thru hell and back. Like With Ned's 2 samples they simply asked that the images be pulled until they got a better performing production unit to him.

That said for all we know it was also a marketing ploy to show us ( with Chris's help ) that they are working on the lens and that it's not vapour ware, to stop guys like me from getting sigma 100-300 F4's now and just sit on the cash and wait till they announce the lens in a few weeks ( guestimate ) and they can stock the supply chain to.

Ok so lets stop bashing Pentax, after all the lens actually exists and should be out soon now.

Oh BTW Chris thanks alot for what you did manage to show us and we all hope you didn't get into too much trouble as you have given us hope that this lens will be our ca*** 70-200 F4L killer lens.
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #29

Ah well, miscommunications happens, life with it.

At least we know it's alive and kicking.
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about this Chris, but I guess Pentax is right in believing that only shots by the final product should be shown. I do hope this doesn't cause you any problems and that you manage to keep your privileged relation with Pentax intact!!

Sometimes we are not aware of the large numbers of people reading these forums without ever posting. It would be interesting to see statistics on this, but I'm guessing there's at least 3 or 4 times the number of members reading without posting into the thread and another 10 times as many non-registered lurkers? Same on the other forum where Lance posted about your findings, if not much more.

This exposure must help in creating the hype surrounding the DA*60-250/4, but we have to ask ourselves whether this is in the interest of Pentax. After all they are having trouble keeping up with demand with the current line of products as we write, hence the postponing of the DA*60-250/4 to November it would seem. Also, this exposure put extra stress on demand, with many people no doubt reading these threads and, not having read them to the end, running to the stores to get the lens only to find out that it's not available. Thus confirming Pentax's hard to loose reputation for not being able to deliver the goods...

Not an easy choice. Go with the hype all the way, or try to dim it a bit to ensure you don't drown in its results...

Whatever... it was great seeing this lens and learning about some previously unknown characteristics. It continues to interest me very much, inspite of the external zoom. Guess the pricing will decide whether that will be an issue (I would have been willing to pay more for an internal zoom design).

Wim
Closed Thread