Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has probably decided that the 60-250 lens is not yet quite ready for production and so they want to delay it until it is, like they did 18 months ago. Be patient. Wait another year.

07-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

That's another brick off the wall* ...

*the wall that seperates me from the Canikon world
07-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Well, I also think that Chris got the shaft. But on the other hand, he said the magic words regarding the 60-250 that put me back to my origional plan. internal focus but extending zoom. I'll just keep my 16-50, 50-135, and 300. and buy the DA* 200 at a later time. Not being internal zoom as well as internal focus is a step back from the DA* 50-135 to me. Go figure? All of the zooms in that class or internal zoom and focus!
07-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

One of my European friends has noted that the 60-250 hasn't had a European Trade Number assigned to it yet, and that normally this is done far in advance of the release. To him this means that there is no imminent release of the lens.

As far as Chris getting the shaft, if he broke an embargo, he is guilty of a breach of trust, and can kiss any possibility of future goodwill from Pentax regarding getting hold of pre release equipment goodbye.
And deservedly so, he can't be trusted.
Were I Pentax, I'd be suing his sorry ass for this.

When I tested the pre release 16-50 and 50-135, I made damn sure that the only people who saw pictures from those lenses were people who were allowed to see them, and I didn't go around town honking off that I had the lenses in my possession. I can only hope that Chris hasn't buggered up pre release testing for everyone with his ill conceived actions here.

07-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #35
Forum Member

Some of the reactions are amazing...

Especially, reading some comments from members warning Pentax they will go to the dark side if Pentax don't bring out X, Y and Z....I am amazed when many members bemoan the fact that Pentax do not have a stable of FF bodies and lenses when they don't even have a K20D or K200D. There is a lot of wishful thinking on here and on the 'other' forum, and a lot of it is dumb.

I liked Chris' initial post, and despite the fact I already have the two fast Sigma zooms, I had earmarked the DA*60-250 to replace my EX 70-200, or supplement it. It's good that Pentax are trying to get the product right at the point of lauch, but maybe they were nervous about too much information getting out which might adversely affect current sales...ie if the 60-250 had FF capability what would that say, does it mean a FF DSLR is imminent?, or a new model with a larger sensor. It might do and sales, which drive R&D, could suffer.

In the meantime, do the sensible thing, ENJOY your camera. In fact I might use my FF MZ-S this weekend and enjoy that...

and thank you Chris for the taster
07-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Well if they didn't specifically tell him not to talk about the lens or show pictures of it then they would have no grounds for lawsuit. If they did or if he agreed to a NDA then I agree with you. Maybe they should have sent it to WendyB so she could speak in parables about it. LOL
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Were I Pentax, I'd be suing his sorry ass for this.
Were I Pentax, I'd be making a statue of him...
... for keeping a lot of people still interested in the poor family of Pentax lenses.
At least he kept me for a while more ...

PS I DO understand no disclosure agreements, but ... mercy man
07-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
Some of the reactions are amazing...
Especially, reading some comments from members warning Pentax they will go to the dark side if Pentax don't bring out X, Y and Z....I am amazed when many members bemoan the fact that Pentax do not have a stable of FF bodies and lenses when they don't even have a K20D or K200D.
I wouldn't buy the expensive K20D if I have not the lens variety I need to exploit it. And the fact is that Pentax is very poor on lenses compared to the Canicon platforms. Up to date I use my friend's Canon when shooting waterpolo sports (no 70-200 2,8 yet on the Pentax platform) or doing winter time wildlife shooting.
Pentax platform has it's charms, but also it's drawbacks. :ugh:
So please, no excorsisms. Thanks!

07-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tknterry Quote
Pentax has probably decided that the 60-250 lens is not yet quite ready for production and so they want to delay it until it is, like they did 18 months ago. Be patient. Wait another year.
They should just do a dust and moisture sealed version of the 55-300mm at this point because in a year, Canon, Nikon and Sony will be crawling up their arse.
07-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Well if they didn't specifically tell him not to talk about the lens or show pictures of it then they would have no grounds for lawsuit. If they did or if he agreed to a NDA then I agree with you. Maybe they should have sent it to WendyB so she could speak in parables about it. LOL
When I tested the 16-50 and 50-135, They made it fairly plain to me that the lenses were pre release. I had enough sense to make the connection, and treated the matter with respect and diligence.
It's a pity that people need simple concepts spelled out for them, it makes it harder on those of us with a whit of common sense.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-18-2008 at 07:10 AM.
07-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I tested the 16-50 and 50-135, They made it fairly plain to me that the lenses were pre release. I had enough common sense to make the connection, and treated the matter with respect and diligence.
It's a pity that people need simple concepts spelled out for them, it makes it harder on those of us with a whit of common sense.
There is a difference of sharing the lens and a photograph taken of a person or building. I have never seen an NDA that wasn't thorough on details. I agree about not showing the actual lens and perhaps he should have asked about sharing photos or at what time he could. How the hell is someone going to reverse engineer a lens with a photography of a butterfly?

Edit: Pentax seems to be pretty damn simple minded when it comes to their Clientele and what they want.
07-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Edit: Pentax seems to be pretty damn simple minded when it comes to their Clientele and what they want.
Agreed, they seem to have let you in the door.....
07-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If information relating to the lens was supposed to have been embargoed but released prematurely, then it is only correct that Pentax took appropriate action to rein in the leak.

On another point, I'm in full agreement with welshwizard645. I am frankly pretty sick and tired reading posts of those threatening to switch brands. Bottomline is if you don't think Pentax is the right camera for you, then why prolong the agony? Take the bold step now and jump ship. Far better than moaning and bitching and continuing the constant tirade about Pentax's shortcomings. Isn't it better to sing praise about something you like rather that talking negative all the time?
07-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If information relating to the lens was supposed to have been embargoed but released prematurely, then it is only correct that Pentax took appropriate action to rein in the leak.

On another point, I'm in full agreement with welshwizard645. I am frankly pretty sick and tired reading posts of those threatening to switch brands. Bottomline is if you don't think Pentax is the right camera for you, then why prolong the agony? Take the bold step and jump ship. Far better than moaning and bitching and continuing the constant tirade about Pentax's shortcomings.
Unfortunately, one of their shortcomings is that they promise to put equipment on the market, and then either don't, or take an excessively long time to do it. The 60-250 is one such example.
If a person buys, for example, A K20, and a few lenses and accessories, based on the fact that there is a release date for a very useful telephoto zoom, one that they need (or at least desire) for their photography, and then a year or more later, that lens is still in the vapourware category, and the release has been pushed back more than once, that person has a fairly legitimate beef.
I recall that the K10 was delayed a couple of times, IIRC, the K20 didn't make it's scheduled release date, I believe the 16-50 & 50-135 were both late, and the 16-50 seems to have an unrepairable design defect which is causing a lot of sendbacks on the unit, and now the 60-250 seems to be pushed back from a release date of early this year, to later this year to whenever....

They have to take the flack when they mismanage their resources and it affects their user base.

Of course this is just the opinion of an internet badass who has invested several tens of thousands of dollars in support of Pentax, and for his trouble has the pleasure of having people lie about what he says on internet forums......
07-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They should just do a dust and moisture sealed version of the 55-300mm at this point because in a year, Canon, Nikon and Sony will be crawling up their arse.
Thats funny. Canon, and Nikon are so far ahead of Pentax that their arses aren't even specks on Pentax's horizon.
Closed Thread