Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

NOTE: DA* 60-250 thread pulled

Dear forum users and viewers,

To my findings this morning I was not in good faith posting photos of the lens or from the lens so I had to pull the thread and trash all associated files from my server. Unfortunately this wasn't made clear in the beginning and to make up for this fowl I have pulled everything and will take proper action to rectify said error.

I would like to request that if anyone has any photos stored that they trash them immediately because again they are my photos and should have never ended up onto the net in the first place.

I apologize to Pentax and more specifically Ned Bunnell and Ken Curry who had faith in us to and expected this to stay under the table. We appreciate all you have done for us in the past and hope this doesn't cause any separation in our relationship.

Dearest apologies,

Chris Warkocki

07-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
RaduA

Chris,

First of all I give you my sincere thanks for all your contributions here over the time. My opinion is that Pentax USA understands that we are a community based most of all on knowledge and enthusiasm. You personally brought a lot of both here and unless you breached any kind of express understanding you may have had with P USA I see no harm done. Besides I seriously doubt that they needed 3 days to see this thread

You only showed that we have good reasons to wait for this lens.

My 2 eurocents (VAT included),
Radu
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, Chris.. Sometimes I don't understand the heads of Pentax USA. Basically all you did was serve everybody appetiser. Most people who didn't care much for the 60-250 most likely want one now (me included, but I still need my kidney). The ones who already did want it want it EVEN MORE.

Great lens; keep up the good work. That goes to both Chris AND Pentax.
07-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Inactive Account

This is so childish.......

07-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh man :-(

But yes with that lil peek we all want it MORE.
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Weird indeed. I was wondering how you were able to post pics from a preproduction lens since they hadn't allowed it before. I thought Pentax were adapting to the Internet way of doing things but I guess not :-P
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

fools,

everyone and their grandma knows about this lens already, whats so bad about a little pre-production sneak peaks.
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax has every right to ask him to pull the pics- It's their lens, and it sounds like they sent it to Chris accompanied with an NDA or similar agreement. If you recall, Ned Bunnell pulled his 17-70 pics for a while before posting them again.

That said, thanks for the tantalizing peek!

07-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I hope this isn't history repeating itself.

Back in the late 50's Ford was introducing a new model, the Edsel. One dealer put one on display the day before the official unveiling and Ford pulled his franchise.

For those 'youngsters' out there, the Edsel became perhaps the biggest flop in automotive history.

I hope the new lens doesn't suffer a similar fate.
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I hope that things didn't go too badly Chris,
We now know that it's a good lens, and worth while waiting for. So I would imagine that you've gust brought Pentax some future sales.

QuoteOriginally posted by klika Quote
This is so childish.......
I may be wrong, but more likely just a little misunderstanding between Chris and Pentax.
I'm sure that it isn't the first time Pentax has had one, and it won't be the last.
07-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

in the back of my mind i was wondering whether or not Chris had any NDAs and i guess he has. although the thread's been pulled, it's good to know that the lens is close to production.
07-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did good, Chris.
I'm sure Pentax will appreciate your honesty.
I can only see that post as confirming the lens actually exists and is not far off from consumers hands. It's not as if you got their design idea and started constructing your own 60-250 lenses for distribution.

Then again, if that's the way Pentax wants to do it, that's their right.
Looking forward to seeing more of it soon...
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope this doesn't cause you any issues Chris. I think all you did was increase the awareness of the lens and get everyone saving for release day. Nothing that was posted was negative. In fact it was described is a very positive fasion
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Let's just accept what is was, a great sneak peek into the lens...
I feel this is a very important lens for the company, especially if it removes some of the "can't use Pentax for sports photography" type statements (Ignoring FPS). Anything less than good found out about a pre production component wouldn't of done Pentax any good.
I don't think Chris or more appropriately Pentax, should be lambasted for deciding to pull things back.
We all want the best possible 60-250mm lens Pentax can make (for the price), and look forward to when they've finished their final production design. None of us can do anything other then pointlessly speculate as to why this happened. It just did, for reasons known to Pentax.
Cheers Chris.
Go Pentax!
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't worry, Chris

I think everybody here agrees that you're doing a good thing for Pentax.
Even I now considering to get this lens when I upgrade my camera.

Wish everything is well with you and your relationship w/ Pentax.
Otherwise you can show them this thread as a proof for them.
Closed Thread