Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Through what I consider divine intervention, a DA 40mm F2.8 came up for sale at a price I could handle. It was a good enough deal that I can try the lens out and if it works great, if not , I can sell it and get my money back.

Thanks for all the great responses.

Hopefully this will be what I am looking for!

06-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I dunno Driline. I just browsed Uncle's 40mm catalog he linked a post or two ago and there's definitely some pixie dust in there, with both the Vulcan and red rose having the most the most obvious sprinkles IMHO
You are very kind, the FA 43 is the only FA limited I don't have, but since I own the FA 35 and the F 50 f1.7, the 43 remains a low priority - perhaps because I haven't shot with it yet!
06-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Through what I consider divine intervention, a DA 40mm F2.8 came up for sale at a price I could handle. It was a good enough deal that I can try the lens out and if it works great, if not , I can sell it and get my money back.
Great news, Joel If the 40mm focal length works for you, and it certainly seems to, the DA40 is a really great little lens. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. Let us know how you get on?
06-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great news, Joel If the 40mm focal length works for you, and it certainly seems to, the DA40 is a really great little lens. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. Let us know how you get on?
I will definately do that. When it comes in the next few days I will post and update.

06-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I dunno Driline. I just browsed Uncle's 40mm catalog he linked a post or two ago and there's definitely some pixie dust in there, with both the Vulcan and red rose having the most the most obvious sprinkles IMHO
If the DA 40 was = to the FA 43 we'd all know it by now. Unless we consider those who purchase the FA 43 are just a bunch of dunderhead zealots willing to shell out extra dough for a lens just because it's a limited
06-16-2016, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If the DA 40 was = to the FA 43 we'd all know it by now. Unless we consider those who purchase the FA 43 are just a bunch of dunderhead zealots willing to shell out extra dough for a lens just because it's a limited
Different lenses, different design priorities, different rendering... Neither one better nor worse than the other. Just different
06-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe an FA 35? Nice medium between all the options on the table for an affordable price?

06-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
Maybe an FA 35? Nice medium between all the options on the table for an affordable price?
OP's made his choice (DA40 Limited) and put his money down. I certainly can't disagree with that choice, since I had one grafted to my *istDL and then my K-5 for an age before I discovered this place. Ever since then, I have had just about everything else under the sun glued to it for various periods!

I really should have singled with it this month, but the aperture ring of the M Pancake called to me; I love impromptu macro, and shooting accurately at the end of non-A-contact extension tubes is something the DA40 just can't do without a LOT of light on the subject and probably a macro rail too.
06-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
OP's made his choice (DA40 Limited) and put his money down. I certainly can't disagree with that choice, since I had one grafted to my *istDL and then my K-5 for an age before I discovered this place. Ever since then, I have had just about everything else under the sun glued to it for various periods!

I really should have singled with it this month, but the aperture ring of the M Pancake called to me; I love impromptu macro, and shooting accurately at the end of non-A-contact extension tubes is something the DA40 just can't do without a LOT of light on the subject and probably a macro rail too.
Reverse it, put a micro 4/3 or NEX converter on it with the stepless aperture adjustment ring.
06-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well.... I done went and done it now. I took the da 35 out and really liked the fov but not it's image rendering. So now in addition to the 40mm I got a 35mm limited macro on the way as well..... I think it's time to put the card away.
06-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my Well, they are two fabulous lenses. You'll be delighted with them, I'm sure of it. Congratulations!
06-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I think it's time to put the card away.
put it away.... now that you've warmed it up?
06-18-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Different lenses, different design priorities, different rendering... Neither one better nor worse than the other. Just different
My father once gave me a bit of wise counsel.

He told me, "Every girl is pretty in her own way."
06-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahh lens buy addiction satisfied

For now.

These are a few of the first pics i took using the DA 40 and DA 35 macro. I am pretty pleased. I was able to use a single high power LED light (one that i use to mountain bike at night with) as my light. Then it was just getting the right composition. I hope that you enjoy! thanks for all the wonderful advice it truly helped out!

06-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another option, rent a lens before you buy one! Try out this site:

https://www.borrowlenses.com/AdvancedSearch.do?searchString=pentax

Their prices seem quite reasonable!

Regards,