Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Have you considered getting a 2nd hand da*16-50 and converting it to screwdrive?

06-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Have you considered getting a 2nd hand da*16-50 and converting it to screwdrive?
The 16-50 is out of the running for me - way too expensive for what it is vs the other options.
06-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
The 16-50 is out of the running for me - way too expensive for what it is vs the other options.
I'm curious what you're leaning towards.
06-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iceland

I just got back from a week in Iceland. Everything said about the unpredictable weather is true. I lucked out with 3 sunny days (including sun tan) and 3 cloudy days with occasional drizzle. When there was rain, it was short-lived. Sometimes there was wind but it was never cold. Definitely happy I took a Sigma 16mm. There's a slippery passageway behind Seljalandsfoss (waterfall) and a short focal length is absolutely necessary to get interesting shots. Be prepared to get wet from spray. The 16mm was handy when walking among people & structures along the harbourfront, and also when visiting Harpa (the fascinating concert hall & convention centre).
As an alternative to buying a new lens, there are several quality photographic shops in Reykjavik that offer rentals of equipment.

06-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm curious what you're leaning towards.
My experienced 'guide' recommends the Sigma, which is attractive as the cheapest option on the list. Unfortunately it's also the biggest and heaviest... perhaps I'll get that, sell my 40mm, and stretch my budget to also get the 15mm
06-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
personally even though I don't own one, I would take the DA16-85 for the walk around and my Sigma 10-20 which hardly ever come off of 10mm. when I go on a trip I only take my 10-20, my *50-135 and my Sigma 17-50 2.8.
if you want light, I would choose 2 or 3 lenses

Good luck and have fun!
09-08-2016, 01:52 AM   #22

I just got back from a week in Iceland. Among the three lenses I have the one that got the most use was the Sigma 10-20, most of the time at the widest focal length as the landscapes are so wide that you want to have them all in the frame.
Weather sealing is an issue: I got lucky with mostly sunny days but when weather was bad, rain was so spiky that each time I got out of the car to shoot pics I had to bring a towell with me to wipe the lens (I shot with a K30 so no problems there).
As a matter of fact the Sigma 10-20 started to squeak a little when focusing after a few times it got some water...now that I'm back home with 25°C looks like the small humidity that probably got into the HSM motor has dried and all is fine.
But it definitely brought the weather sealing issue to my attention.

Other lenses I used were the Sigma 17-50 (20% of the time for walkaround and for shots where I wanted a shorted panorama with a front subject or portrait) and the Sigma 70-200 (30% of the time, for some portraits, still life, animals and whalewatching boat trip).

Think about a polarizer which will be very usefull with all of the water you are going ton see, from waterfalls, to lakes, to rivers. I also used an ND 10 stop filter sometimes. Tripod is a must.

You are on to a fantastic experience, I fell in love with it, got to see some breathtaking ladscapes and nature phenomenons like the aurora borealis, it really feels likke being on another planet at times, the landscape changes so quickly and dramatically that it's a continuous rollercoaster ride...and people are so few (except in the most tourist friendly, overcrowded spots) that you really feel the sound of silence and you get into your thoughts about solutide and peace.

Good luck and have fun.

Hope this helps

Last edited by gerax; 09-08-2016 at 02:12 AM.