Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses for Iceland trip

I'll be traveling to Iceland this September, and am looking to add to my small lens collection in preparation. From my current collection, potential candidates to take with me are: 18-135mm WR, M 50mm f1.7, and 40mm Ltd. I have the K-3.

Initially I was thinking that I'd simply add the 15mm Ltd to the mix as I expect this to be a landscape oriented trip, but two things about it worry me. One, the speed of the lens at f4. For the most part that would be absolutely fine for landscape, but I know there will be low light opportunities as well (astro, Aurora) and while I could work around it, I'd feel more comfortable having the option of a wider aperture. An alternative I'm looking at is the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, which could replace both the 15 and the 40 and also be a nice fast lens to have for the future.

Second, and more importantly, the lack of weather sealing. I'm expecting to shoot through wind, rain, windy rain, and lots of water spray. I could buy a rain sleeve (can someone confirm that that works with the 15mm Ltd? It looks like they work by cinching at the lens, and since the 15mm Ltd is so small...) but being able to shoot without it using WR sounds a lot more attractive for its convenience and accessibility. To that end I'm considering the 20-40 Ltd to take along with the 18-135 as a fully WR kit. Looking through this forum though, opinions of that lens seem polarized, and the loss of 5mm at the widest end vs the 15mm may be just as limiting as a slow lens speed (I can workaround it, but it'll take time and effort that may make me miss the shot). The lens is also costlier than the 15, but I'd sell my 40 to make up the difference.

What do you guys think? What would you choose (if you had to buy into the options)? I'm trying to pack light, so that is a big factor as well, and prevents me from combining multiple options.

Thanks!

06-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We do a lot of outdoor work...

We are working on photo projects from rain forests, to the UK, to deserts/ tundra (sand), and Florida.

We use K3s, DA*s in 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, DA 18-270, Siggy 150-500 (type 2), and DFA 135-450. Also FA50, DA12-24 (used portrait for wide stitched panoramics) DFA Macro100 (type2).

We press environment to the end... Preferred for Landscape 16-50 DA*. You will see a few posts on motors, valid issue. BUT having replaced several motors (over 6 years), still worth it. No other lens in the class performs like the 16-50, particularly in saturation. Sigma makes decent lenses (we have owned several) but DA* is a cut above...

My favorite walkabout? 16-50 DA* and 60-250 DA* with a 1.4HDTC in my pocket... Metz flash 58 AF2...
Filters? Tiffin HT or B+W...

Hope this helps...
06-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a great trip!
I think DA 15mm ltd is probably worth it even without the WR - unless you are absolutely sure it will be raining the whole time you will be there. Regarding inside/outside temperature and moisture differences that can cause condensation - you should take precautions to that even with WR equipment. IF that is even a problem at that time of year in that location. Wind itself isn't a big problem, you just mount a filter if the wind is carrying hard particles like sand. Salt water spray is a bigger problem, but I have taken my gear onto boat trips, whale watching and similar, without any problems. Really depends on how calm the sea is and what type of boat it is

Or think about a Samyang 16mm f2 or Samyang 14mm f2.8. Both are sharp, affordable, very wide (remember, every mm makes a difference at the ultra wide spectrum), good for landscapes and astrophotography. But they are much bigger than Pentax limited lenses.
Though, remember that

I don't have a DA 15mm limited, but I do have a Samyang 14mm, and I would definitely take it with me on a trip to Iceland. I find it to be very versatile, so I always take it with me when I travel, despite its size. You know that for Iceland, you will want some wide angle. Maybe even a used Pentax 16-50mm, and then re-sell it after the trip for a minimal loss. It is WR and it is brighter and a step above the 18-135mm, slightly wider.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-17-2016 at 07:07 AM.
06-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H has a used 16-50 for under $500 right now. Either that or a 15mm Ltd. would be my go to. As a hobbyist with a need to keep growing my skills, I couldn't justify the price of a new 16-50, no matter how great it is. You may be of a different mindset, this is just my thinking.

I've a trip coming up that will involve some moisture exposure, landscapes, cities et cetera. My kit is a 15mm Ltd. and a 18-135.

06-17-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
No other lens in the class performs like the 16-50, particularly in saturation. Sigma makes decent lenses (we have owned several) but DA* is a cut above.
I generally agree with that. But there's another consideration here as well. I enjoy using primes (like the DA 15), and undoubtedly any of the DA Limiteds, with their excellent flare control, contrast, color rendition, and sharpness, would do wounderful in Iceland. But for photography trips I tend to prefer zooms. Do you really have any idea what focal lengths you are going to need, and how often you're going to need different focal lengths? For stuff I shoot locally, I know what I need and primes are often preferred. But in unfamiliar places, zooms are almost mandatory. If you really need an f2.8 zoom, the DA* 16-50 would seem to be the best choice. Or if you could give up the f2.8, you could go for the DA 16-85, which is often considered nearly as good as the star zoom and features better flare control.
06-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
Second, and more importantly, the lack of weather sealing. I'm expecting to shoot through wind, rain, windy rain, and lots of water spray.
Don't be fooled. The weather in Iceland is constantly changing. From really sunny to rain & snow. The DA15 not being WR is of no concern, just don't use it in the rain/snow/.. You have the 18-135 for that, which you'll need ;-)

Personally i'd rather take two bodies, one with the 15 and one with the 18-135 not to have to swap lenses..
Wouldn't take any other focal covered by these two lenses. You'll end up not using them.
Maybe you rather want to add a real tele for nice birds and so.

For sure i'd take a polarizer and an ND filter for Long exposure (on your 18-135) and a sturdy tripod, but that's me. Maybe that is not what you are after..

And don't forget 'workman gloves' that fit the fingers nicely to operate your camera..
nice trip!
06-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

We were in Iceland about 11 years ago in late Sept.-early Oct. The weather is constantly changing. We never saw snow--the temperature was pretty mild ( a sweater and a rain shell are all we ever needed outdoors.), but it does rain at any time with little notice. The rain usually doesn't last long before the sun returns. You will see a LOT of rainbows. It gets dark around 5 pm at that time of year. I will give you a tip for auroras. If you are staying in the hotel near the Reykjavik airport (Not Keflavik, but the downtown airport), you will be a short uphill walk to the "Pearl". It sits on the highest hill in the vicinity. The Pearl is an old water tower that served the city, and has been turned into a place where there are stores and restaurants (sort of an indoor mini-mall). The restaurants are on the top floor, which also has an outdoor viewing platform. On a clear night, it is a great place to view the aurora despite the city lights, all of which are below you. If you plan it right, you can eat dinner there while the sky darkens and then just go outside. Be sure to take a tripod. I would say take the 18-135, and something a bit wider and/or faster. Although I haven't used either, I'd opt for the Sigma rather than the 15. You will enjoy the trip, I'm sure.

06-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was in Iceland last month and only had one WP lens for the two systems of gear I had. I used the 15DA and the 70DA no problem however the truth of the matter is I was shooting mostly a film Hasselblad therefore rain was no factor except I could not use the waist level finder in the rain so used a prism finder. I did take a shower cap with me but never used it. The same the year before in Scotland and my wife shot a fair amount in the light rain and she has no WP lens, actually I do not think I had one either on that trip.
06-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
All my options would be purchased used for sure. The trip is with someone who's done multiple photography trips to Iceland, and included in the itinerary are waterfalls and coasts(hence the desire for WR for protection against water spray, in addition to the possibilities of rain) and camping(low light photography!)

I really wanted the DA* 16-50 to be the perfect fit, but looking at the reviews for it, it seems hard to justify paying twice as much for worse performance vs the Sigma. I'm really not hot on the SDM motor either.

I really do like the 15mm option - is it really OK to risk with a lot of windy water spray? Has anyone used it with a rain sleeve?
06-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 15 would work well; I wouldn't use it if there's a lot of wind and spray at those beaches though (too precious!!). Never used it with a rain sleeve so can't comment on that.
I have been to Iceland twice now; in November and February.
I wouldn't worry about the weather, it may rain but 3 miles down the road the weather is completely different.
Of course, it depends upon your plans. :-)
The first time I took the 18-135 and the A24, we only went for three nights but this combination was good enough.
The second time, two years later, was a bit of a tour round for 8 days.
I took the 10-17, 20-40, 43, 100macro and added the A24. Also took the A200 as there was a chance of seals but it proved more useful for panoramas of glaciers.
Hardly used the fish eye or the 43.
Most shots were 20-40 and 100. The 200 was pretty useful especially as it is so small.
The A24 was better than the fish eye for the northern lights and as good as the 20-40 for long exposures with an ND filter.
In summary id say the 18-135 in September will be good enough with a back up from a wide (MF?) lens and possibly a 200 for details.
06-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Keep in mind weight issues. You don't want to travel heavy. Then again, working with a rain sleeve on a small lens like the 15mm is very difficult.

If it was me (and I've been to Iceland - but in a relatively dry month), I'd be looking closely at the 16-85. The price might be a bit high for your budget, but you might consider trading in the 18-135 to lessen the hit. A used 16-50 is a scary idea with the long history of SDM failures - unless they are nearly giving it away ($500 is not a good deal).
06-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
and included in the itinerary are waterfalls and coasts(hence the desire for WR for protection against water spray, in addition to the possibilities of rain)
What i recall doing with the waterfalls, is protect the lens (by hand, da15 is small) and the glass up to the moment of taking a picture. If there is a lot of spray (like behind the waterfall), you don't have much time anyhow. the lens will get sparkles quicker than the rest of the lens. You'll manage.. Just be wary of what someone else mentioned, condensation.. For really challenging times you could pick up a cheap manual 28mm. I used one for timelapses that took like 30min, it didn't mind some rain.

The coasts are mostly fine. No thin particles. Lots of rocky beaches.
06-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Iceland Lenses

I was just there for 9 days in late April.
Planned for rain and wind and got a sun tan instead!
We used this map for planning the trip: Map of Iceland for photographers, hikers and tourists
I used the MindShift backpack to carry all my gear: MindShift Gear rotation180° Professional Backpack Deluxe 210
I highly recommend this to hold your gear.
I was able to fit in the waist belt: K3ii with 16-85, 1.4x converter, DA 55-300, DA 12-24, DFA 100mm macro, 15mm and a Samyang 8mm. Tight squeze but it works with APS-C!
I stacked 6 lenses together with a double lens mount cap to save space: OP/TECH USA Double Lens Mount Cap for Pentax Lenses 1101251 B&H
Also brought a tripod, Nikon SB-30 and monocular.
And bring a hat that ties under your chin!
The K-3ii has GPS built in so bring an O-GPS1 if you bring your K-3.
Lens usage: 16-85 was lens used most often followed by the 55-300 (sometimes with the 1.4). Used the 8mm once and the 12-24 a few times. Never used the 15 or the 100.
I decided that if I needed a wider angle I would just use the 16-85 and take several pictures to stitch later.
Now when I travel I only bring my 16-85, 55-300, 1.4x. flash and filters.
Here's a few days worth of images - haven't processed them all yet: Iceland 2016
Have a great trip and watch out for sheep!

Chris
06-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your input everyone. I would have liked and even expected more conformity in advice (so I could be more fully persuaded!), but I really appreciate the variety of opinions. Unfortunately my choices have grown rather than narrowed - I am now also considering the 16-85! Although I would like a lens that brings more to the table than just better sharpness over the 18-135 kit.

A little bit more detail about my the trip - I'll have 10 days in Iceland, and I'm planning on packing light. By light I mean fitting clothes, camping gear, camera, and accessories in a carry on and a small 'personal bag' (basically what airlines allow you to bring with you onto the plane). I'm hoping to keep the lens purchase budget to <$500, though it is stretchable with very good reason.
06-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that there is some possibility that while you are there, one of Iceland's active volcanoes, which I think are mostly islands off shore, could erupt. In the event that did happen and winds carried the ash plume over where you are (rather than away and over northern Europe), you might want to have some completely ash-proof plastic bags to pack your equipment into...at least temporarily. Not all camera bags would keep that stuff out.