Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone have an idea what I have just acquired - Soligor 180mm 3.5 probably not preset

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well first of all it was $45 with free shipping so it will not hurt badly even if it is a complete dud. I found nothing about it on the Third Party Lens Review site although there is a preset version that had mixed reviews. This seems to be a different design as the aperture controls are in the bottom of the lens instead of the front of the lens and there is only one aperture ring. Stylistically it looks like my Soligor 105mm with the chrome ears, but in this case there does not appear to be an aperture pin. There seems to be one person who has this particular lens configuration, who made a few mentions in mflenses.com and created a flickr page of shots that I would have been entirely happy to have taken. So, anyone have this lens and how does it work for you?

06-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this it:

Soligor 180mm 1:3.5 Preset Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
06-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The review photolady96 linked is pretty good. You could search for the same focal length and aperture specs with some of the manufacturer names the review lists, to see if you find more reviews with pics and info that look more like your lens/ Maybe the Soligor version might not be the one that has gotten reviewed the most.
06-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Photolady It doesn't seem likely that it is the same lens. The preset version has two aperture rings in the front of the lens. It also looks remarkably like my 135mm 3.5 Weltblick which was originally a Tamrom design. This model, while shown as one of the variants in the picture, does not seem to be a preset. The aperture controls are in the back of the lens next to the mount. It also looks like my 105mm Soligor 2.8 which was a Tokina design down to the two chrome ears on the single aperture control ring. So, I'm thinking its not the same lens. The Soligor 105mm 2.8 is a really good lens and I'm hoping to get lucky again.

---------- Post added 06-17-16 at 07:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The review photolady96 linked is pretty good. You could search for the same focal length and aperture specs with some of the manufacturer names the review lists, to see if you find more reviews with pics and info that look more like your lens/ Maybe the Soligor version might not be the one that has gotten reviewed the most.
GoatsnDonkey and Photolady- I have just gone through allphotolenses com again. Amazingly enough, the lens will not come up on a database search but will come up if you scroll through the list of all Soligor lenses. The reviewer shows a picture of my lens. He states that the lens has 10 blades instead of the fifteen shown in the Pentax Third Party Review. This is consistent with the difference between my 105mm Tokina made and the preset Tamrom made version of the 105. Good news is that the reviewer really liked the lens:-) So, I'm getting more hopeful

06-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just thought the link I provided might help even if it wasn't your exact lens. I don't have one so can't comment further.
06-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually have that exact lens. A friend included it in a box of M42 cameras and lenses he left on my porch. I haven't used it in a while but he was discriminating (Vivitar 135/2.8 and 35/2.8 were also in there with a complement of SuperTaks) and as I recall it is pretty sharp. I last used it on a bellows for macro.
06-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The review mentions several makers of a comparable focal length/aperture description from that era. Each manufacturer's version might have slightly different appearances, number of aperture blades, and focus and aperture rings, or even differences in internal design. Your lens might be practically unknown under its Soligor label, but it might be reviewed more times or in much better detail under its actual manufacturer's label. I have had to do this sort of searching to find info about some other old lenses that appeared under more than one label or had comparable versions made by different manufacturers. Soligor might have had Komine make a version of that lens, and then had Tokina make the next version of it. The Tokina version might be almost identical with one they also contracted to make for Vivitar, for example. Maybe there are no reviews of the Soligar-Tokina lens, but lots of reviews of the nearly identical Vivitar-Tokina version. See what I mean?

06-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The review mentions several makers of a comparable focal length/aperture description from that era. Each manufacturer's version might have slightly different appearances, number of aperture blades, and focus and aperture rings, or even differences in internal design. Your lens might be practically unknown under its Soligor label, but it might be reviewed more times or in much better detail under its actual manufacturer's label. I have had to do this sort of searching to find info about some other old lenses that appeared under more than one label or had comparable versions made by different manufacturers. Soligor might have had Komine make a version of that lens, and then had Tokina make the next version of it. The Tokina version might be almost identical with one they also contracted to make for Vivitar, for example. Maybe there are no reviews of the Soligar-Tokina lens, but lots of reviews of the nearly identical Vivitar-Tokina version. See what I mean?
I do see what you mean and went through a lot of what you've suggested when I was trying understanding the providence of my Weltblick 135mm (ancient Tamrom but rebadged 20 ways to Sunday). Usually I cruise through allphotolenses first and then look for reviews in mflenses. Like the Soligor 105mm 2.8 (non-macro) this model is very underreviewed. There is is a decent cross reference of Soligor serial numbers to makers that I can check. I pulled the trigger because it looked a lot like the 105mm that I am 100% sure is Tokina. If this lens is as good as that one things will be well. There is a little bit of concern that I can't see an aperture pin. I really don't care if it's been excised as long as stop down metering will work - not a fan of lens surgery although I've done it. Thanks for your reply.

---------- Post added 06-17-16 at 09:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I actually have that exact lens. A friend included it in a box of M42 cameras and lenses he left on my porch. I haven't used it in a while but he was discriminating (Vivitar 135/2.8 and 35/2.8 were also in there with a complement of SuperTaks) and as I recall it is pretty sharp. I last used it on a bellows for macro.
Hi Monochrome. Hope we have the same lens (but not the same serial number:-) ) Is your's m42 and does it have an aperture pin? I can't see a pin on this one.
06-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I dug it out of my storage cabinet. Alas, I have the preset version with 15 aperture blades. It does have an M42 mount, not a T-mount and no chrome ears. There is a P printed on the mount ring and of course no aperture pin. It has an H serial and appears very similar to the lens pictured in the review.
06-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So I dug it out of my storage cabinet. Alas, I have the preset version with 15 aperture blades. It does have an M42 mount, not a T-mount and no chrome ears. There is a P printed on the mount ring and of course no aperture pin. It has an H serial and appears very similar to the lens pictured in the review.
Interestingly, I found a preset Tamrom 180mm version on allphotolenses that looks like my Tamrom/Weltblick 135mm. Well at least a preset lens works nicely with macro extension tubes. No jury rigging aperture pin depressions and the like. Thanks for getting back.
06-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope the lens is in good condition when it arrives. Do post pix of it and with it when you can, and describe your impressions of its qualities.
06-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope the lens is in good condition when it arrives. Do post pix of it and with it when you can, and describe your impressions of its qualities.
Will do. This will be my longest lens, so it's a whole new world.