Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Third Party Lens equivalents?

Hi guys and gals!

I am still getting my head around lenses and photography in general, I have been really enjoying the results of my recent purchase the Pentax-DA 50mm 1.8 SMC mounted on my K-50.

I am now starting to browse other Pentax lenses, something different to 1.8 50mm (portrait), such as a zoom or macro lens. I was wondering... due to the fact that the image stabilization aspect is housed within the body of the K-50, does that mean there are 'bargains' to be had by sourcing lenses that are not 'Pentax' but other brands that perhaps omit the stabilisation or AF and therefore the price is lower?

Prior to getting the SMC 50mm 1.8 I was using my dads old Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 lens, which was manual focus control only... I kinda miss it (the manual focusing lol) and the AF aspect of my current 50mm is a welcome addition... but I'm starting to weigh up whether it really justified the purchase.

And so... I am now wondering if there exists a table of some kind of recommendation list of an equivalent (albeit older perhaps) version of lenses that match close the current Pentax typical common/popular lenses. For example, as I kinda said previously, the SMC Pentax-A SMC 1.7 50mm takes very similar shots to my new new Pentax SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50mm. Of course the older lens is heavier, lacks AF but is of course a lot cheaper (about 50% price).
Is there a Sigma equivilant of this lens? What about other lenses such as the Pentax-DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3, is there a third party equivlant that is similar in some respects? Or the Pentax-DA 35mm 2.8? etc etc.

As someone who is shopping on a budget, I am curious if I can obtain similar lenses that might perhaps lack certain features (such as AF or heavier in weight, or no IS) but if the price is right makes a better purchasing option...

Cheers,

Bruce

06-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
there a third party equivlant that is similar in some respects?
There are quite a few, including the Sigma 18-250mm, 18-300mm, and others.

You can browse them here:

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

It's hard to beat the DA 50mm F1.8 and DA 35mm F2.4 as far as value goes. You might pay $50 more than for a manual lens, but the AF and improvement in image quality is worth it. The same goes for lenses such as the DA 55-300mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Bruce:

There are a number of aspects that make up a lens design. The configuration of the lens elements (individual pieces of glass), the lens coatings (anti-glare and reflection coatings to increase clarity and contrasts), coverage (the size of the projected image onto the image plane in the camera), aperture blade design and focal length to name a few. The 50mm A and your DA 50 lens should give the exact same image size-wise. They are both 50mm lenses. However, the DA may work better on digital sensor cameras as the coatings have been designed to reduce inter-reflections off the sensor (image sensors have a glossier finish compared to film, which was quite dull). Better translates to better image clarity and contrasts. The A 50mm lens was a darn good lens and you may be hard pressed to see a difference. Also, the DA may work fine on the digital APS-C sensor but not have the necessary coverage to work on a full frame images sensor (as is now in the K-1) or a film camera. The A 50 can work well on both as far as image coverage goes, it was designed to fill a larger image circle.

To answer your questions about other lenses, yes, the world is wide open to you! You can use earlier screw mount lenses (with a $40 adapter) all the way up to the latest lenses designed for digital sensors! The catch is, you get to do the research! There are so many lenses out there no one could assemble a comparison chart large enough! Your best bet is to find something you like and ask the opinion of it on this forum. I promise, we will be more than happy to help. If you get it at a good price, we will be a bit jealous! The only down side to this plethora of lenses you can now explore is that it is easy to develop a serious LBA (lens buying addiction). Only your bank account and strong wife can reign you in!

Have fun with it all!
06-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the DA50/1.8, no question. The DA35/2.4 is a perfect companion if you're looking for a prime with a more "normal" field of view.

If you want to get into macro on the cheap, a Raynox magnifying lens on your DA50/1.8 would be easiest. I understand the DCR-250 is the better option for shorter focal length lenses.

On the other hand, if you still have access to your dad's A50/1.7 it might be worth getting a set of second-hand extension rings.

06-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
For new lenses, there are some Samyang manual focus ones (similar in features to your A 50) that are well regarded and have very attractive prices. There has been lots of discussion of them here, in many different threads.
06-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found that as I have progressed that I am less and less interested in zoom lenses at all. I carry a DA 18-135 in my bag as a walk-around lens, but you'll find a prime on my K-3 more often than not.

You mentioned macro lenses in your opening post; if you are interested and feel like more of an adventure, might I suggest a Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm macro lens? I picked up the 72B version of this lens a while ago and am stunned by it nearly every time I mount it. The earlier versions (52B and 52BB) are just as capable and produce amazing shots as well.

Once I got comfortable with the manual focus aspect of my K-50, I pretty much ignored AF for a while, preferring to practicing and refining what is possible with legacy lenses, both Pentax and third-party...

Live it up - enjoy the huge range of lenses available to the K mount, both current and legacy...
06-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are interested in macro...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html

If you really want a dedicated macro lens (I have 4 and don't really do much macro ) then look for a Cosina 100/3.5. These came in both MF and AF versions and were sold under multiple different brand names (Phoenix, Vivitar, Promaster). Pentax even rebadged it as the FA 100/3.5.

Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I was able to find one for less than $100 on shopgoodwill.com...

06-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second the idea to try the "cheap macro" option before going full macro lens if you're unsure if you'd really like macro. I bought a ten dollar reverse ring for my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 to reverse other lenses onto it and it actually works very well.