Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
how to store lenses

I'm going to move abroad on a stable basis, and i have to rent my apartment.
I have the possibility to keep a room/bathroom with private access, but it would be easy to break in, in my absence.
I will bring with me a bag of lenses, all the others will be stored there.
I have plenty of them, those usable with Pentax cameras (list linked in my signature) are barely one fourth of the total, most of them are huge LF/ULF optics.
For the storage I have in mind one of those office furnitures, made in metal and with lockable drawers.
Once it was not difficult to find such piece of furniture in the second-hand market, nowadays they are rare, and overpriced.
Any advice?
Living in the EU, it would be great to find something useful from Ikea, or another cheap retail source available in Italy, but i guess metal drawers are not Ikea's forte...
I'm curious to find out how other pentaxians have solved the problem. Any unconventional, relatively cheap solution is welcomed.

cheers

P

06-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those cabinets are easy to break into. You might as well just store in boxes. I'm guessing you want secure storage. For that you'll need a safe - a gun safe will do. Alternatively, don't you have a trustworthy friend who can look after your lenses? What about a fire? Are you insured?
06-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

right or wrong I have mine in pelican style cases. I routinely put blue silicon crystals in the box and replace when they turn pink. That way I can grab a box and run or rack and stack to keep them out of the way. The risk is you get fungus using this method.

Ikea does have a display cabinet which I use. see this one as an example of what I use.

FABRIKÖR Glass-door cabinet - redbrown - IKEA

I use damp rid in the cabinet to keep things dry. The cabinet indicated has reasonable seals (although not totally airtight).
06-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Store them at a friends or family members house

06-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
k22
Site Supporter

Ikea, locking file cabinet:
ERIK File cabinet - IKEA

For moisture and dirt I use sealable plastic sandwich bags. Put the lens in with a packet of silica gel, roll the bag to remove air, seal it.
06-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 with IKEA option in my house ^^
DETOLF Vitrina - negro-marrón - IKEA
06-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if you have a Staples in the EU, but I use these cabinets. I bought a 42" and 72" high model, both have adjustable shelves for larger lenses and are lockable:

Staples® 72" Locking Steel Storage Cabinets | Staples®

Phil.

06-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Forum Member

It seems like you have quite an extensive collection, but if you are considering spending hundreds or thousands of dollars just to secure it, you might consider selling the lenses and then buying them again if/when you want them.

Alternately, instead of getting filing cabinets could you just get a more secure lock for the door? It should be relatively easy to put a deadbolt and reinforced strike plate on a door.

Finally you may just consider whether it would be easier to properly document & insure the lenses, and then cross your fingers. How likely do you think a break-in really is?
06-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
It seems like you have quite an extensive collection, but if you are considering spending hundreds or thousands of dollars just to secure it, you might consider selling the lenses and then buying them again if/when you want them.

Alternately, instead of getting filing cabinets could you just get a more secure lock for the door? It should be relatively easy to put a deadbolt and reinforced strike plate on a door.

Finally you may just consider whether it would be easier to properly document & insure the lenses, and then cross your fingers. How likely do you think a break-in really is?
+1

I have a little experience with lockpicking, and it's generally trivial. Doubly so for any furniture locks. A safe is just screaming "there's something valuable in me!", which is fine for a place that is generally secure (your house), but less so in your situation, where you're leaving your valuables somewhere you clearly don't trust.

Leave them with a trusted friend, get insurance that includes theft or sell and rebuy.
06-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
bxf
Veteran Member

Do not neglect to take humidity into consideration. There's fungus everywhere, just waiting to latch itself onto some SMC.
06-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I read something somewhere about an environment that was too dry also being bad... thoughts on that?
06-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I read something somewhere about an environment that was too dry also being bad... thoughts on that?
Only possibly bad on organic matter, like leather, as far as I know. Metal and glass don't have water to evaporate to an extra dry environment. Modern lubricants are stable.

Of course, what always comes with extra dry is lots of dust. So, maybe from that perspective? And... also... static electricity?
06-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Do not neglect to take humidity into consideration.
Absolutely.

Dry cabinets are a lens owners friend. And there is a good range of them available, including very secure options.
06-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow!
I'm pleasantly overwhelmed by the number and thoughtfulness of the answers. Thanks!
I will check a couple of solutions that could fit my needs.
One solution that's definitely a no go is storing everything in the house of a friend or family member. My mom is 87, and i'm not going to ask a friend to look after > 500 objectives. I wouldn't call him a friend! Would be vicious
Selling is also out of question. They are my babies I started buying them in the late seventies...

Cheers

Paolo
06-21-2016, 03:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

When it's that many you could try a storage solution. Affitto di Magazzini, Box e Cantinette a Bologna | Inbox Self Storage