Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide angle f2.8 zoom...Tamron, Pentax or Sigma?

I want a fast (continuous f2.8) wide zoom for low-light, flashless photography. I shoot in RAW+jpg and can compensate for WB and EV in camera...sweet feature of the K10D. Please offer your opinion on the pros and cons of each brand. What is the approximate 'bad copy' percent of each?

07-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cameta Camera still (amazingly) shows this older Sigma in stock. I like mine, and others like theirs. I've seen 2 negative posts. For another $100 you can get the newer, supposedly improved, version with "macro". I have no experience with the others.

No one has defective numbers as they are universally viewed as company secrets and employees would be fired if they revealed them. Seriously.
07-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

how wide are you looking?
07-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be really careful about Sigma. I bought a 24mm f1.8 in '06, on the eve of leaving for overseas. Bought local for a) "doing the right thing" & b) warranty.

When I picked the lens up both dealer & I noticed some slight 'clunking' noise in the lens, foolishly I did not reject it there & then.

Returned that lens recently along with my K20D for repairs and Pentax / Sigma rep immediatley seized on the 'clunk' as not being right. Cost to repair $220. (which I wont bother with as I have other options at 24mm & f1.8, so will put the $220 towards something else).

Lesson: Buying a Sigma is a bit of a lottery, many here have warned about this in the past. Stay with Pentax.

Cheers.
Note: I am not blaming anyone here other than myself, just passing on my experience.

07-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Cameta Camera still (amazingly) shows this older Sigma in stock. I like mine, and others like theirs. I've seen 2 negative posts. For another $100 you can get the newer, supposedly improved, version with "macro". I have no experience with the others.

No one has defective numbers as they are universally viewed as company secrets and employees would be fired if they revealed them. Seriously.
I forgot to mention that I have to order online as I am in a small Canadian city with no camera stores near me. I see the Sigma 18-50 EX DC for a good price at Cameta. Is that the older non-HSM version? It is listed as a Macro lens on the Sigma site unless it is an even older version. Looks like I would have no warranty though as I am in Canada.