Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
bessa-66 the only "odd" quirk about the 16-45 is you zoon out ( full extension for wide angle) a bit backwards than other lenses heh
That does seem strange Erika!

06-28-2016, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The main issue for me is the severe wobble in the front barrel. It's enough to affect edge performance. I don't believe it can be fixed, at least not practically.
I sent mine to Pentax and they charged me to replace some part they said was broken. It did seem a bit tighter afterwards. I think it might be back to usual now though. Maybe it is broken again. Hard to compare how much it really moves between copies by typing on the internet... Doesn't seem to be that big a deal, but if you start doing brick wall tests or shooting newspapers with the lens in different orientations you will probably find some stuff you don't like. I stopped doing that though.
06-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by crabby Quote
You can buy this lens new currently for A$229 from Digidirect. I bought one a couple of years ago and been very happy with it. A much underrated lens and fantastic value for money
Apart from the constant aperture it also has handy close focusing capabilities.
Awesome! I will get it from there! EBay stufffed up and my payment didn't go through or something... Digidirect is a little cheaper!
06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
No Love for the 16-45?
Don't have it, but still love it anyway. I really enjoy the photos from it here and on the 16-45 flickr group - gorgeous, sharp, colorful, and it appears that it can be used at closer distance than typical also, adding extra benefit as well. I few years ago I debated whether to get the 16-45 or the DA 17-70, and went for the 17-70 based on the Photozone review. Maybe I should have gone with the 16-45. I like the simplicity of it. With the 17-70, I had SDM failure, repaired it, and then have somehow lost sure focusing between 50-70. So now I effectively have a somewhat nice 17-50/4 with a motor in it. At the time, more or less, the photos between the 17-70 and 16-45 in the overlap ranges were said to be similar and quite good. In addition, I got the 16-50 and intended to do an informal comparison, but have not gotten around to it. I'm glad you enjoy the 16-45 and I bet I would also if I had it. I don't think I can find fault with the photos from it and many of them look like prime lens photos, to me anyway.

06-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I sent mine to Pentax and they charged me to replace some part they said was broken. It did seem a bit tighter afterwards. I think it might be back to usual now though. Maybe it is broken again. Hard to compare how much it really moves between copies by typing on the internet... Doesn't seem to be that big a deal, but if you start doing brick wall tests or shooting newspapers with the lens in different orientations you will probably find some stuff you don't like. I stopped doing that though.
For me I hadn't been able to tell the difference when I first bought the lens along with my K100d, but as I upgraded bodies to more megapixels, I could tell in actual pictures (not just for testing) that in vertical images particularly there was edge fall-off. I could change the degree of fall-off my testing on a tripod and manipulating the front of the barrel. Otherwise I was happy with the 16-45, and I honestly don't know whether the wobble got worse over time or the increased megapixels made problems that were already there more visible. I'd estimate my lens was used for only less than 10,000 photos.
06-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
For me I hadn't been able to tell the difference when I first bought the lens along with my K100d, but as I upgraded bodies to more megapixels, I could tell in actual pictures (not just for testing) that in vertical images particularly there was edge fall-off. I could change the degree of fall-off my testing on a tripod and manipulating the front of the barrel. Otherwise I was happy with the 16-45, and I honestly don't know whether the wobble got worse over time or the increased megapixels made problems that were already there more visible. I'd estimate my lens was used for only less than 10,000 photos.
I'd say my overall assessment matches yours. Presumably, the barrel loosens slightly over time. The DPreview test (which was overall indicating stellar performance) indicated that shooting upwards vertically does indeed create edge softness at 16mm - and that was on a brand new lens. The solution - honestly - in that unusual situation is to cradle the long end in the palm of your hand, if you happen to remember to do so. In any event, the lens barrel is quite solid when slightly less extended - and is very sharp and free of wobble by 19mm. Still, for such a nice lens, the build is somewhat short of the 18-55WR - really a shame.
06-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #37

Just picked up a copy off of eBay for cheap, will have to test it out. Figure for the price I paid it would be worth it!