Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Rikenon P 50mm 1.7 on K-1

Hi all,

I just received a nice surprise, a free Rikenon P 50mm 1.7. Excellent condition. It mounts/unmounts just fine on my K-1... however, I get a constant/flashing "F--" and am unable to use it no matter what I do. I've bought a few older manual lenses from KEH that worked just fine.

Do I need to remove the pin from the lens in order for it to be recognized by the camera? I've tried manually setting the aperture ring to every setting (1.7 thru f16, plus P) and can't get it to shoot no matter what i try.

Any ideas? Thanks!

06-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are not going to get the F reading since it is not an A lens (at least not a Pentax A lens).
In order to shoot you have to enable the aperture ring if I am not mistaken.
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swartzfeger Quote
Hi all,

I just received a nice surprise, a free Rikenon P 50mm 1.7. Excellent condition. It mounts/unmounts just fine on my K-1... however, I get a constant/flashing "F--" and am unable to use it no matter what I do. I've bought a few older manual lenses from KEH that worked just fine.

Do I need to remove the pin from the lens in order for it to be recognized by the camera? I've tried manually setting the aperture ring to every setting (1.7 thru f16, plus P) and can't get it to shoot no matter what i try.

Any ideas? Thanks!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
06-22-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
You are not going to get the F reading since it is not an A lens (at least not a Pentax A lens).
In order to shoot you have to enable the aperture ring if I am not mistaken.
That's the problem -- I must be very dense, because I can't figure out how to enable the aperture ring!

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 07:27 PM ----------

That did the trick, that's what I get for not RTFM! Thanks!

06-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swartzfeger Quote
That did the trick, that's what I get for not RTFM! Thanks!
HAHAA!!! I like your style! LOL!!!

I have a nice Rokinon P series f1.4 that I am dying to try on the K1 myself. I lack a K1 so it's a moot point for now...
06-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
HAHAA!!! I like your style! LOL!!!

I have a nice Rokinon P series f1.4 that I am dying to try on the K1 myself. I lack a K1 so it's a moot point for now...
When I got to test the K-1 over the memorial Day weekend that was one of the lenses I tested out first. It does amazingly well. Didn't save any images to post , just pics shot around the house.
Now have My very own K-1 and will be sure at some point to post results from several Rikenon P lenses.........I assure you......YOU wont be disappointed at all on any Rikenon P 50mm lens.
06-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
When I got to test the K-1 over the memorial Day weekend that was one of the lenses I tested out first. It does amazingly well. Didn't save any images to post , just pics shot around the house.
Now have My very own K-1 and will be sure at some point to post results from several Rikenon P lenses.........I assure you......YOU wont be disappointed at all on any Rikenon P 50mm lens.
I had a f1.7 before that I got cheap and it was quite a good lens. This f1.4 that I have is exceptional... it's just screaming for a FF camera body.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the P series....at least what I have tried so far.

06-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
I purchased a Pentax SMC 50mm f2 from KEH about a month ago and was really disappointed -- center sharpness, even stopped down, was mushy. It's stayed in my bag and will probably serve as a glorified body cap or paperweight in a pinch.

This Rikenon that I just got -- I'm impressed. Even at 1.7, it's acceptably sharp in the center and has nice looking (but cat's eye) bokeh. Only 'gotcha' was that it seems like this thing can NOT close focus at all. Other than that, it seems to have just the right amount of character and still reasonably sharp. I really like it!