Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Did you find a right filter for the XS
No, the SX is a 27mm, and I haven't purchased any step-down rings so I can use my 49mm filters on it.

40mm lenses are not uncommon for resale here on PF

06-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
No, the SX is a 27mm, and I haven't purchased any step-down rings so I can use my 49mm filters on it.

40mm lenses are not uncommon for resale here on PF
Slightly confused. So, we can use both 27 and 49mm on SX?
06-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
we can use both 27 and 49mm on SX?
Not without and adapter. The XS has a very small lens the filters would have to be 27mm, and these are hard to find. Instead, I would use an adapter that bridges the gap between 27mm and 49mm, these are known as step or step down rings. I have many 49mm filters, the asapters allow me to use them on more than lens.

I don't use filters all the time, the XS and the LTD really don't seem to need filters, but I do like using a polarizer in some circumstances.
06-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
and it is Full Frame so very usable on K-1
you could also consider
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
even smaller that DA Limited, cheaper and has the same great optics
For full frame the DA 40mm ltd is better. The xs has soft corners

06-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I think it's a great lens that you'd enjoy using. I have 3 different 40mm lenses, I like the FOV

I have had the 40mm XS for several years, it's super sharp, and since it's so small, it makes the K-5 feel light like a point and shoot camera, I use it for street photos because it is quick and doesn't call attention to the camera. I keep it in my camera bag at all times just in case I need a reliable autofocus lens that will give me great results.

I recently purchased a used DA 40mm Ltd, and so far I am very impressed with the results. It is very compact so it's a great walk around lens, and it's it is very sharp it works well for many situations. That it can take filters is a great feature which makes it even more useful.

40mm XS

40mm LTD
I'm glad you are enjoying it.

To the OP: lenses are tools. The 16-85 you bought is a very good all around lens, can do some of everything, but is best at nothing. Don't worry about buying "great" lenses. Most lenses are good for somethings, worse for other things. Just shoot the zoom lens for awhile and see what specific job you want to improve at, and get that lens. Repeat over time and you will end up with the right kit for you.

Last edited by Kozlok; 06-25-2016 at 06:36 AM.
06-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Don't worry about buying "great" lenses. Most lenses are good for somethings, worse for other things. Just shoot the zoom lens for awhile and see what specific job you want to improve at, and get that lens. Repeat over time and you will end up with the right kit for you.
I agree 100%. Unless a lens is very poor quality, the more familiar you are with it, the better your results will be over time.

On PF there are several groups for critiques and comments based on a lens, but I joined the Single In group (in my signature) to encourage me to use the same lens every day for one month, and it has allowed me to get very familiar with a lens in a short period of time, and I get feedback on most of the pictures I post.
The other members use different lenses, so I get to see their results and that helps me to consider other lenses I might want to try. Still the best thing is I shoot the same lens every day, and get very familiar with it. I also joined a Daily In group, so I can try shooting with whatever lenses I like on a particular day. Some times I shoot the same subject with two different lenses just to compare the results.