Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Beginner's question

Does it make sense to have a DA 40mm limited 'pancake' lens, even though you already get a 40mm range from HD DA 16-85? I mean the range is redundant, but I thought 40mm ltd is a prime lens and it might have a distinguished character and I really want it because of it cute size. Does this give you an issue?

06-25-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly doesn't hurt Have you seen how tiny it is?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many users like it's minimalist looks. And, optically, it seems to do quite well too. Is it the best prime in that focal length? Probably not. But, still a nice lens to have.
06-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 40mm Ltd. is very sharp, but not as the others good lenses ( D FA 50 Macro for example).
For me the only positive is that 40 Ltd. is really very compact.

06-25-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The main benefits of the DA40 Limited (or, in fact, the DA40 XS) are it's size and light gathering advantage. I can't remember for sure, but as I recall the the DA16-85's maximum aperture at 40mm is something like f/4 or f/4.5, while the DA40 lenses can be used quite confidently wide open at f/2.8 with great results - hence you've got a reasonable amount of extra light coming in, and a little more creative control over depth of field.
06-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and it is Full Frame so very usable on K-1
you could also consider
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
even smaller that DA Limited, cheaper and has the same great optics
06-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Only downside is the XS takes a very odd filter size; the Limited takes 49mm, common to many other Pentax lenses. Also so small that manual focus is an issue.

06-25-2016, 02:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a nice lens, optically great and certainly tiny, but 40mm is a strange focal length on APS-C, at least in my experience. Just a bit too long for a 'normal' lens.

Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da40
06-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Agreed - it definitely takes some getting used to. I'm personally more comfortable with 35mm...
06-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
The 40mm Ltd. is very sharp, but not as the others good lenses ( D FA 50 Macro for example).
For me the only positive is that 40 Ltd. is really very compact.
Wow. That macro lens is very nice. Can you recommend me some lenses? at the moment, I don't have anything, not even camera because mine is pre-ordered from Japan and it will take quite some time to come to me and meanwhile I want to have a good list of great lenses and make some priorities.

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It is a nice lens, optically great and certainly tiny, but 40mm is a strange focal length on APS-C, at least in my experience. Just a bit too long for a 'normal' lens.

Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da40
I am such a newbie right now I can't see why you are saying its bit too long. But, I will try to see if I can understand. What "compact" sized lens are more optimized to APS-C? and could you tell why are so?

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
and it is Full Frame so very usable on K-1
you could also consider
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
even smaller that DA Limited, cheaper and has the same great optics
How do we tell if a lens is for full frame? Do you have other lenses good for K-3 ii in mind?

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The main benefits of the DA40 Limited (or, in fact, the DA40 XS) are it's size and light gathering advantage. I can't remember for sure, but as I recall the the DA16-85's maximum aperture at 40mm is something like f/4 or f/4.5, while the DA40 lenses can be used quite confidently wide open at f/2.8 with great results - hence you've got a reasonable amount of extra light coming in, and a little more creative control over depth of field.
Thank you, I see I got a lot to learn from this forum.

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Many users like it's minimalist looks. And, optically, it seems to do quite well too. Is it the best prime in that focal length? Probably not. But, still a nice lens to have.
Could you give me names of other good lenses? I think I will have to take and see the pictures myself to understand what people are saying about this lens though.

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Certainly doesn't hurt Have you seen how tiny it is?
Yes, I have. It is actually the slimmest lens I have ever seen. And I wouldn't be surprised to know that it is.
06-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Could you give me names of other good lenses? I think I will have to take and see the pictures myself to understand what people are saying about this lens though.[COLOR="Silver"]
HD Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited.

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
06-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's a great lens that you'd enjoy using. I have 3 different 40mm lenses, I like the FOV

I have had the 40mm XS for several years, it's super sharp, and since it's so small, it makes the K-5 feel light like a point and shoot camera, I use it for street photos because it is quick and doesn't call attention to the camera. I keep it in my camera bag at all times just in case I need a reliable autofocus lens that will give me great results.

I recently purchased a used DA 40mm Ltd, and so far I am very impressed with the results. It is very compact so it's a great walk around lens, and it's it is very sharp it works well for many situations. That it can take filters is a great feature which makes it even more useful.

40mm XS

40mm LTD
06-25-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I think it's a great lens that you'd enjoy using. I have 3 different 40mm lenses, I like the FOV

I have had the 40mm XS for several years, it's super sharp, and since it's so small, it makes the K-5 feel light like a point and shoot camera, I use it for street photos because it is quick and doesn't call attention to the camera. I keep it in my camera bag at all times just in case I need a reliable autofocus lens that will give me great results.

I recently purchased a used DA 40mm Ltd, and so far I am very impressed with the results. It is very compact so it's a great walk around lens, and it's it is very sharp it works well for many situations. That it can take filters is a great feature which makes it even more useful.

40mm XS

40mm LTD
I really can't tell the difference at all.
06-25-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
I really can't tell the difference at all.
No, there really isn't much at all. I'd say any differences are due to me, I usually shoot manual settings and manual focus.

Words can't express how much I love the 40mm XS, it's my mainstay lens, which stays on my camera for weeks ata time. I've only had the 40mm LTD for a few days, but I think I will be equally pleased
06-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
No, there really isn't much at all. I'd say any differences are due to me, I usually shoot manual settings and manual focus.

Words can't express how much I love the 40mm XS, it's my mainstay lens, which stays on my camera for weeks ata time. I've only had the 40mm LTD for a few days, but I think I will be equally pleased
Wow, that's love. I wish I could get my hands on those compact lenses. Did you find a right filter for the XS?