Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Igilligan

FAst 50 dark magic snaps...

Not technically brilliant shots but.....

I switched to the k100d from a bridge P$S to take lowlight shots of the kids indoors. So of course my first lens was the FA 50 1.4 Lately it has taken a backseat to my tamy 28-75 and vivi S1 105...

But last night after the kids went to bed, my friend come over and we were watching the last three episodes of the "Flight of the Conchords". It was a pitch black room except for the light from the TV... I grabbed the FA 50 just to see what it could do....
Well as you can guess... It was too dark for it to AF, so I had to MF (the reason I usually use my s-m-c tak 50 1.4) but I am still pretty impressed with the fact the k100 can get a shot in that level of light at all.... It is kind of nice because as the colors on the tv screen change the colors of his face changes too... must play havoc with the AWB though
K100d - FA 50 1.4 - manually focused - ISO 1600 - F1.4 - 1/4" to 1/20" obviously straight JPG with no extra noise reduction... I kind of like the grain on some.

Attachment 15590

Because of the color shifts from the Tv, b&w looks more stable I guess

Artdog posing

07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hahah, what kind of dog is Artdog? I haver two French Bulldogs and one has the exact same face!! (the other is all black and looks like a gorilla)

I love my FA50 too....I have made some incredible shots in low light, usually sticking to around 2.0 or so....some of the best and clearest live band shots I have ever made are with this lens on my K10D.

Jason
07-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Igilligan

Hey Jason,
Artdog (aka boris) is the ultimate english bulldog... I dont have to tell you of the joys of bulldog living... He is actually my friends dog but he loves to ride in the car and goes everywhere with him. And he snores so loud while we watch tv at night that I can not hear half of the words on TV...

I have not used the FA 50 much for band shots but I will give it a shots... and I whole-heartedly I agree with keeping it at F2 if the lighting and AF allows...
07-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The first one and the b&w are very good. The middle two are a bit too red IMO. I suggest you switch to Neutral tone for portraits.

07-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It shows what you can do with this setup under such low light.
Handheld!
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The first one and the b&w are very good. The middle two are a bit too red IMO. I suggest you switch to Neutral tone for portraits.
Hey bomber, thanks for the comments. As I said the colored tv light was probably partly at fault for the reds , but he also has a bit of a sunburn from working a home improvement fair this last weekend. He had real WC Fields nose in most of the shots...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It shows what you can do with this setup under such low light.
Handheld!
It does do pretty well IMO. I wish the auto focus could somehow work in low light but we all know AF never works in dark. Hey, an AF assist beam might help.
07-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
but he also has a bit of a sunburn from working a home improvement fair this last weekend
Are you talking about the dog?? [haha] Like the first and the B&W. JIMBO