Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I applaud you for having the courage to stand-up for your purchase Dominique. Myself, I felt that my local camera shop didn't really notice my drop in the bucket when my 25/2.8 was gone for so long and that if I had threatened to cancel, I would simply be out the lens (and I really wanted it!) I resolved to wait it out as I wanted to be sure I received back a lens that was guaranteed to have had my problem addressed (a second copy that came into the shop in the meantime seemed to exhibit the same problem, but it turns out with later testing that it was probably fine).

The person following it up from my local shop said she heard nothing back from phone messages and faxes regarding the lens ETA while it was away on repair. She mentioned that Zeiss almost always took two months and to give it that time. Sure enough, it was almost exactly two months after it was sent to Zeiss when a brand new 25/2.8 showed up for me.

I'm happy now, but it does take some shine off the legend with these issues. The inclusion of personalized QC cards seems reassuring, but doesn't seem to actually guarantee anything.

All this said, The price is high, but still similar to higher end Pentax glass such as the DA*16-50 and we all know nobody is perfect, heh.

K.

08-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You, after having waited 9 weeks since the order and go to the shop asking about the status. After contacting Leica which were supposed to fix it say, they could not find the problem and sent it to Zeiss, no idea about when it should be back.

That was too much after such a long wait, I had to put some limits. It seemed to had worked.

Let's hope it was worth the wait.
08-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The pressure I put on the shop and the local rep helped. I just got a call from the shop, a brand new Zeiss 100/2 is waiting to be picked up.

I will get the lens this evening, but with the announced weather, I will probably just be able to check if the aperture is working, but most probably no test shots today.
08-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #19

Thank you for keeping us posted. I have only been lurking here but follow this story with great interest.

08-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
The pressure I put on the shop and the local rep helped. I just got a call from the shop, a brand new Zeiss 100/2 is waiting to be picked up.

I will get the lens this evening, but with the announced weather, I will probably just be able to check if the aperture is working, but most probably no test shots today.
I took a page from your book and asked my local retailer to contact their Zeiss distributor to ask why its taking so long to get the lens. I mentioned (truthfully) that I have a photographic holiday coming up and that I can only justify this order if the lens can make it in time for the trip, otherwise my money goes online. Apparently, the rep accepted the concern and passed it along to the appropriate party - guess we'll see if I have an 85 in a week and a half or not.

Just seems that with so few out there pushing, not much gets done. Can't really even fault Zeiss, they aren't even directly involved. It'll be folks like us that break the ice on the flow of these things though, I guess.
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thePiRaTE: It is really a shame to have to put such pressure to get such an expensive equipment. I always guessed, that the shop will be pleased to quickly serve such customers willing to pay such a high price for a manual focusing lens. I hope it will work for you as it did for me...

Finally, I picked up the 100/2 lens this afternoon. I have got a brand new lens, and the aperture does work! The lens also focuses on infinity, so it seems working at least.

The build quality is very nice. The focusing barrel from minimum to infinity is really smooth and makes one full turn. It is quite fast and easy to focus. Unfortunately, as all KA lenses, one has to use the central AF point.

I am being uploading the few test photos at the moment, will be posting the photos soon...

Last edited by tcom; 08-11-2008 at 10:22 AM.