Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 ZK (2 shots)

I ordered two months ago the Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 in Pentax mount. I could finally get the lens today.

Unfortunately, despite the price and the hand signed quality certificate, the lens is faulty. The aperture is stuck wide open. I can manipulate by hand the aperture lever (while the aperture ring is on A), the aperture does not move.

Finally, before returning the lens to get it fixed (or a replacement), I did a few test shots, at full open aperture:

(Full resolution photo under
Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 ZK photo - Dominique Schreckling photos at pbase.com)

I would say, the IQ looks promising. Before making more photos, I will need to get a fully working one...

07-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account

tcom, I've been awaiting your post - thanks for sharing, the shots do look great. Very sorry to hear of the faulty lens, I just finally received back a new copy of the Zeiss T*25 Distagon after I returned for my original copy for an infinity adjustment 3 months ago!!! It seems like the ZKs are cursed.

We'll have get back to this thread once you get your lens fixed

Kelly.
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will certainly come back to this thread once the lens is fixed, but I hope it will be quicker than 3 months...
07-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow

Now you just did it for me. I love the colour and homonogenous colour with background rendering in your shots. Though it does 1:2 macro, I think this lens does have that unique bokeh feel. This will be on my list for next purchase...

07-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I brought the lens back this morning into the shop. They will contact Zeiss as to know if the lens will be exchanged or repaired. I hopefully will know more about it next week.

But even fully open, this lens delivers great sharpness and a wonderful bokeh.
07-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

this lack of QC from Zeiss is disturbing. you'd thinkg if you're dropping $1000 on a lens it should work. hope you get a good one Dominque, the photos do look promising.
07-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A small update:

Zeiss has apparently no spare lens on stock. I guess this lens is built on order. From the description of the fault, the distributor in Switzerland (Leica) will have a look at the lens and hope being able to fix it without sending to Zeiss. The lens should be back by next week...
07-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
this lack of QC from Zeiss is disturbing. you'd thinkg if you're dropping $1000 on a lens it should work. hope you get a good one Dominque, the photos do look promising.
Its funny because each lens comes with a quality assurance card that someone has checked off a QC for 6 different aspects of the lens including aperture and optical quality, and then signs it. In my case optical quality was sub-optimal and in Dominiques case the aperture didn't function at all. Sounds to me like they just need a new QC person, heh.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
A small update:

Zeiss has apparently no spare lens on stock. I guess this lens is built on order. From the description of the fault, the distributor in Switzerland (Leica) will have a look at the lens and hope being able to fix it without sending to Zeiss. The lens should be back by next week...
Looks like the optics are fine so hopefully its just a quick tweak in your case, good luck.

K.

07-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, it seems we both got problems on lenses where we would not have expected them. QC seems indeed to be a bit of a problem now.

I just hope it is nothing serious about my lens and the service of Leica here in Switzerland is abler to fix it quickly.
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is another update on this lens.

The lens was sent nearly three weeks ago to the swiss rep of Zeiss (Leica Switzerland). They wanted to check if they could fix it or if they need to send it to Zeiss.

I was today at my shop asking about news on this lens. Leica did not find problem and sent the lens to Zeiss in Germany to have it fixed. They have no idea how long it can take, but according to Leica.

Well, it is now more than 8 weeks since I ordered this lens, the one I got nearly three weeks ago was faulty and no one knows when I should get a working one.

Now, it is up to the shop. Should I not get a working lens until end of next week, I will cancel my order.

How long does it need to get a working lens of this class?
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

the support and qc (even if it's cosina making the lens) from zeiss seems a bit disappointing to say the least, from your experience and that of kelly's.
08-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It does probably not help, that the rep of Zeiss here in Switzerland is Leica. I would think (hope) I would be better served if the rep would be directly from Zeiss, but who knows?

Well, I sent an email today to Leica Switzerland to communicate them my impression of their service...
08-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Unfortunately, you seem to be the 10th or 11th person that I have read about in the last 6 months that's having significant problems with quality control, construction, & follow-up service for one of these new Zeiss Pentax K-mount lenses..

You have my deepest sympathies..

Zeiss seems to be trading on an old reputation as regards to the premium price that they charge for one of these lenses when compared to the build quality & performance that is actually delivered..

For a price that generally matches or exceeds the price of a Pentax Limited lens, these Zeiss lenses seem to be lacking.

Good luck in resolving the issue!!..

Bruce
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Bruce.

It is indeed not the service one is expecting when buying a Zeiss lens.
08-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My announcement to the shop and to Leica Switzerland to cancel the order if I do not get a working lens by the end of next week seemed to have helped.

Suddendly, Zeiss does have this lens on stock, what a coincidence!

Leica orders me a new lens which I should get before end of next week.