Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
Bought a bunch of old lenses on the famous auction site. All were duds. Even though listed as "perfect", "no fungus", "excellent", "works good", blah, blah, blah. Anybody have success?
Depending what are you shopping for and what your criteria is. You should give examples, like Bay item numbers.

Yes, often lenses listed as Perfect only to have tons of issues. If yor are after ready to use perfect lens - you should be shopping for few hundreds $$ and above.

If you are buying perfect $20 lens - this is different game.

The only objective for me is undamaged glass. Pretty much everything else is fixable and to me it is fun to do. Even if lens is beat-up but glass is pristine - this is good buy for me. (filter thread should be good as well) With that, most listings like from KEH, Robs and others I think are fair and I got quite a few very good once for fantastic price.

I do not believe they are all duds.

What are you shopping for and what is your price range?

07-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #32
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SalPro Quote
Depending what are you shopping for and what your criteria is. You should give examples, like Bay item numbers.

Yes, often lenses listed as Perfect only to have tons of issues. If yor are after ready to use perfect lens - you should be shopping for few hundreds $$ and above.

If you are buying perfect $20 lens - this is different game.

The only objective for me is undamaged glass. Pretty much everything else is fixable and to me it is fun to do. Even if lens is beat-up but glass is pristine - this is good buy for me. (filter thread should be good as well) With that, most listings like from KEH, Robs and others I think are fair and I got quite a few very good once for fantastic price.

I do not believe they are all duds.

What are you shopping for and what is your price range?
Some examples:
Sears Model 202. 7368100 860505130 1:2.8 135mm Multi Coated Auto Len ($24.99)
In excellent condition barely looks even used, comes with its original carrying case for safe storage. Thank you in advance for your purchase and have a wonderful day. If you have any questions about the item don't hesitate to contact me.
Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you received an item that is not as described in the listing.
==>Inner glass full of fungus. Seller took back but did not issue refund. Ebay refunded.

Pentax SF1 35mm Film Camera 35-70mm Zoom Pentax lens/manual ($45.99)
Great used condition and comes with manuals and lens. Please view all pictures and feel free to contact me with any questions.
14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping
==>Filter ring dented. Lots of dirt in camera. Strong perfume smell. Sent back, refunded.

Pentax F35mmF4-80mm-F5.6 Lens ($0.99)
New other (see details)
Pentax zoom lens excellent condition!!!!
==>Never shipped, no response. Ebay refunded.

Pentax SuperProgram SLR Camera with 3 lenses flash case strap Kiron 28mm f:2 ($145)
(Can't see description, believe was listed good, working)
==>Kept but Kiron has haze and scratches, A-50 1.7 has fungus, camera full of dirt.

Yes, looking for cheap glass in good, usable condition. Should probably aim at higher priced goods. But then might as well buy new?

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 04:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I've bought dozens of lenses from eBay and have had pretty good luck, as I only now buy from established camera sellers which are mostly in Japan or Germany.

Phil.
Yes, did notice a lot of very clean looking lenses from Japan and Germany.
07-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buying from general second hands goods sellers is always a risk, as they don't know anything about camera's or lenses. Here is an example of a photographic seller also selling a sears 135mm (I wouldn't buy it because of the oil on the aperture ring) it's not a perfect lens but well described.

Sears 135mm F 2 8 Prime Lens for Pentax K Mount | eBay

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-02-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Vulgar language
07-02-2016, 05:23 AM   #34
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Buying from general second hands goods sellers is always a risk, as they don't know anything about camera's or lenses. Here is an example of a photographic seller also selling a sears 135mm (I wouldn't buy it because of the oil on the aperture ring) it's not a perfect lens but well described.

Sears 135mm F 2 8 Prime Lens for Pentax K Mount | eBay
Yes, took a while to realize this. Priceless education... Many thx to all.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-02-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Vulgar language in quoted post
07-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #35

QuoteQuote:
Some examples:
Sears Model 202. 7368100 860505130 1:2.8 135mm Multi Coated Auto Len ($24.99)
In excellent condition barely looks even used, comes with its original carrying case for safe storage. Thank you in advance for your purchase and have a wonderful day. If you have any questions about the item don't hesitate to contact me.
Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you received an item that is not as described in the listing.
==>Inner glass full of fungus. Seller took back but did not issue refund. Ebay refunded.

Pentax SF1 35mm Film Camera 35-70mm Zoom Pentax lens/manual ($45.99)
Great used condition and comes with manuals and lens. Please view all pictures and feel free to contact me with any questions.
14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping
==>Filter ring dented. Lots of dirt in camera. Strong perfume smell. Sent back, refunded.

Pentax F35mmF4-80mm-F5.6 Lens ($0.99)
New other (see details)
Pentax zoom lens excellent condition!!!!
==>Never shipped, no response. Ebay refunded.

Pentax SuperProgram SLR Camera with 3 lenses flash case strap Kiron 28mm f:2 ($145)
(Can't see description, believe was listed good, working)
==>Kept but Kiron has haze and scratches, A-50 1.7 has fungus, camera full of dirt.
Last item # does not clear on Bay or removed. First three would be a no go for me as they do not have clear pictures of the glass and description is very ambiguous about condition. No specifics like scratches, haze, dents, fungus, rings feel. Though I personally only care about first two. And they all $20 category. Bying those would be an obvious low yield gamble.

Don't get frustrated, just learn to see right hints. And if you looking for ready to use lenses, especially those that looks like new - up your price range.
07-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I've bought dozens of lenses from eBay and have had pretty good luck, as I only now buy from established camera sellers which are mostly in Japan or Germany.

Phil.
Over 20 years I've made over 500 transactions on eBay, buying and selling, mostly film camera related. In the early years it was like a club; most people were honest, the descriptions were accurate and you knew to stay away from the ALL CAPS sellers. I bought many camera kits, broke them up, resold the items and made enough money to build my SMC collection.

In the middle years I limit-bid on lenses and if i won I resold at higher BIN prices. I spent time inspecting the photos and only bid when the seller seemed to be informed. Demand sometimes caused me to miss lenses for weeks at a time, then I would have a string of wins. The closet stuff became just junk. For a couple years I bought from a few sellers who kept a regular inventory of nice Pentax lenses listed. They're all members here now.

I no longer buy or sell on EBay. I really already have too much, I think the good stuff is already gone, the good camera stores know where to price so there aren't values (other than currency plays) and it feels like a garage sale on an Amazon scale.

But I've never had a bad deal - except the time I mistakenly resold an untested K28/3.5 that the Buyer returned claiming no infinity focus. Now I have a 'recent CLA' lens.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-02-2016 at 05:54 AM.
07-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #37

QuoteQuote:
K28/3.5 that the Buyer returned claiming no infinity focus.
This kind of stuff amazes me. It is non-issue. It takes 2 minutes to correct. So I got recently couple of A-2.0, for close to free. Both had infinity set too close, otherwise like new. Unscrew the face, loose 3 screws and set it by stars or moon. Now it is like a Leica lock, I just hit dead stop and I know it is focused to infinity.
I can see that some high volume sellers do not have time to correct these things. More opportunity for me.

QuoteQuote:
The closet stuff became just junk.
I believe there is still plenty fish in the ocean. Good stuff still on the Bay. Estate dumps is a good source of good lenses. Though I can see inventory will erode eventually, it is still possible to pickup gems. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Once again, depending what are you looking for. Different people have different criteria.

07-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I no longer buy or sell on EBay. I really already have too much, I think the good stuff is already gone, the good camera stores know where to price so there aren't values (other than currency plays) and it feels like a garage sale on an Amazon scale.

But I've never had a bad deal - except the time I mistakenly resold an untested K28/3.5 that the Buyer returned claiming no infinity focus. Now I have a 'recent CLA' lens.
Yeah I don't buy much anymore as well. If I do it's from a respected eBay seller like "matsuiyastore" in Japan. I also have bought many lenses from local camera stores where you get to check out the lens in person and they have a short warranty.

The only eBay purchased lens I returned was a M80-200/4.5 zoom. Nothing wrong with the lens, I was just after the "K" series version. (Lenses are exactly the same except for the name) The seller had no camera knowledge and the pictures did not show the lens name properly. I emailed and asked if there was a "M" in the lens name after the word Pentax and before the word Zoom. The seller said no, but of course they were wrong and I did get a refund.

My fault as I never should have bought any gear from a clueless seller, especially if you have any questions that need correct answers.

Phil.