Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

but pentax 16-50mm is really good?

hi

i'm finding a zoom f2.8.

i think only about sharp and three-dimensionality
(i don't think price, waterproof and SDM)

pentax 16-50mm is really good?

07-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Forum Member

Yes, it is really very good, even considering the price.
07-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 'good' copy would be a gem to find.
There are lots of great examples of how sharp this lens is on this forum.
07-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
about you, there is e-commerce in Europe that a good stock?

(i read about some problems...)

07-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry I don't quite follow what you meant...

The problems you've read on this lens are from those disgruntled customers who expected a star quality lens and got a lemon - they're definitely in the minority, only we hear bad stories much more than good stories of this lens.

I'm also looking for this lens but being in Australia it's a little difficult taking the chance on buying a new lens knowing the one being sent to me could be a 'bad' one (others have done this and regretted it). But if you're in Europe, you should have a store somewhere close that would have one available for you to try.
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

It may be regional semantics, but in the US, a lemon would designate something that can't be fixed to work properly. While I returned one lens, sent the new lens to Pentax, and ultimately sent my camera and lens to Pentax. I would not consider that a lemon.

In fact, it appears the problem all along had to do with how my camera worked with the lens. Pentax fixed that. The lesson that I learned was that if a lens is not up to par, I will send it along with my camera to start.
07-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

It's really a stellar lens if you get a good copy. (Most are good copies.)

Check out the shots in this thread to see some good example images.

DA* 16-50, near Vail, CO, shot from moving car window as my wife drove:
07-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
It may be regional semantics, but in the US, a lemon would designate something that can't be fixed to work properly.
More semantics, but I believe the "lemon law" as it is commonly called, is for the same problem recurring 3 times. Not even three different problems qualifies.

QuoteQuote:
...disgruntled customers who expected a star quality lens and got a lemon...
But isn't it DA-"star" lens?

07-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it is good. There are some bad samples. But mine turned out to be good. And I love it.
AK
07-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
a question:
but how can i test the pentax 16-50mm ?
(so i can see if this lens has focus or decentrement problem)

photos in 16mm and f2.8 ???
07-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
i read also that SDM is very breakable?
is it truth?
07-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
i read also that SDM is very breakable?
is it truth?
It's the first SDM lens by Pentax, probably some copies got problem.

Last edited by frank; 07-21-2008 at 10:24 AM.
07-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It may be regional semantics, but in the US, a lemon would designate something that can't be fixed to work properly. While I returned one lens, sent the new lens to Pentax, and ultimately sent my camera and lens to Pentax. I would not consider that a lemon.

In fact, it appears the problem all along had to do with how my camera worked with the lens. Pentax fixed that. The lesson that I learned was that if a lens is not up to par, I will send it along with my camera to start.
Same experience here. Problems with the SDM AF on my K10D (both with the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8). Camera adjusted, after that both worked perfect. Replaced the K10D with the K20D and both are still perfect. Problem cause: K10D that needed adjustment for SDM.

I'm guessing most issues were similar, but people who only sent in their "problem" lens obviously could not get it fixed since the lens wasn't the problem. Considering that Pentax is now having to postpone the DA*60-250/4 because the factories cannot keep up with DA* lens demand, I think the DA* glass is a success!!

Wim
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Same experience here. Problems with the SDM AF on my K10D (both with the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8). Camera adjusted, after that both worked perfect. Replaced the K10D with the K20D and both are still perfect. Problem cause: K10D that needed adjustment for SDM.

I'm guessing most issues were similar, but people who only sent in their "problem" lens obviously could not get it fixed since the lens wasn't the problem. Considering that Pentax is now having to postpone the DA*60-250/4 because the factories cannot keep up with DA* lens demand, I think the DA* glass is a success!!

Wim

sorry, the problem is the k10d ???

the problem is the Front-Back focus ?
07-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
sorry, the problem is the k10d ???

the problem is the Front-Back focus ?
No - maybe - sort of...
For me and some other users the problem was the relationship between the lens and the camera. Once Pentax had both together they were able to adjust them for optimal performance and the focus issues were fixed.

It's not as simple as getting a "good" or "bad" one. Some of today's lenses and DSLRs are complex pieces of equipment. Considering that K10d bodies were manufactured before the SDM lenses were available, it's reasonable to think that an adjustment might be needed for some of them to work well together.

I'd be interested to know of any folks that sent both their body and lens to Pentax and did not end up with a properly operating lens.