Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
No lenses for Pentax!?!

I am a little dissappointed when it comes to lens shopping! It's almost impossible to find specific models of pentax or sigma glass. I am willing to bet, as soon as the Pentax rebate program ends, there will be more available!!!

I guess I'll just save my money and wait until next month. This was one of the things i was weighing when I couldn't decide between Nikon and/or Pentax. I know Nikon lenses can be more expensive, but when supply and demand for pentax lenses makes it impossible to find a deal on ebay as well.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I can't believe lenses are in such short supply.

02-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

no kidding. i had to go to 4 stores just to find my recent sigma lens.

on top of that, finding the 540 fgz was also pretty hard.

rather annoying really. some stores dont even carry pentax gear...
02-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second that. The discontinuation of the FA series is also a tough blow to handle...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
WOW! I am glad I wasn't the only one feeling this! I thought for sure I would get flamed.

02-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mo, has the FA line been discontinued? For sure? Even the ltds? I was told by John C. of Pentax back in October that the ltd's would be in production for "quite some time" I don't consicer 4 months to be "quite some time". Do you have any further solid info on this?

NaCl(I'm still looking for my 77ltd!)H2O
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
I think all of their lenses are limited.... very limited!
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The limiteds are still around, as is the 50mm, but those are exceptions. The rest (and best) of this otherwise huge series is gone...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It seems it really depends on location: here in Toronto most bigger stores offer most of Pentax lenses and cameras currently in production. For example, at Henry's downtown superstore last time I have played with DA 16-45, DA 12-24 and DA 14 (I was considering wide angle lenses). Shelves were stocked with D-FA 50 and 100 Macro, DA Limiteds, and several non-DA lenses (I remember seeing FA 28-70/4 AL and several FA J lenses). Their outlet store just across the street had FA 28/2.8 AL and FA 50/1.4 (or maybe it was f/1.7) as well as *istD! Downtown camera is similar and they ordered for me some parts for my DS from Pentax Canada -- delivered within seven days. Black's Photo stocks DS, DL, K100D and DA 18-55 / 50-200, sometimes DA 16-45. There are Sigmas as well, but I was not paying closer attention at Sigmas. Finally, there are more Pentax ads and billboards on the streets of Toronto then Canon's and Nikon's: it is obvious that Pentax Canada is doing very good job.

My conclusion: it seems that availability depends on regional distributors, representatives or resellers and that sales effort is not quite well managed and synchronized by Pentax HQ or whoever is responsible for it. So if you live in an "unfortunate" region ordering from B&H may be your best option.

-= IVAN =-
02-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote

So if you live in an "unfortunate" region ordering from B&H may be your best option.

-= IVAN =-

b and h is my backyard, and they really dont have much. i mean they do have some in stock, but when you get down to the nitty gritty....they have nothing...
02-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't hold your breath on the rebates ending soon. There have been lens rebates for about a year! Now that the new factory is up and running they want to sell more lenses. Yes, it is sometimes tough to buy Pentax product. I think they are making stuff as fast as they can. It is better than it was two years ago. Pentax is a small company. They are doing what they can. The alternative is canikon. Don't want that now do we? Patience is a virtue.
thanks
barondla
02-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
b and h is my backyard, and they really dont have much. i mean they do have some in stock, but when you get down to the nitty gritty....they have nothing...
I'll have to agree with Jon here. The other big problem with B&H brick and mortar store is that what they DO have in stock is always over at their warehouse instead of on their shelves. So they end up shipping it to you anyway. I've had better luck with Adorama.

NaCl(and they don't have much either)H2O
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well, the only big brick and mortars in my area is Wolf Camera, and they are overpriced 1/2 the time, and they are so pro-nikon that when I have asked about lenses for my k10, they ask if I would like to check out the d80!

We do have another place who is more of a specialty and pro photographer store, but they are snobs and don't seem to like dealing with amateurs.

I like to shop online as the prices are lower and I can use my paypal account, which is usually my mad money. I will keep looking around, or use this as am excuse to visit Canada!
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, I lucked up on a SMC Pentax DA 70mm today!!!!

I will post some pics when it gets here. Also, if you search "pentax limited" on ebay, there are some that were just added from henrys out of canada.
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'll have to agree with Jon here. The other big problem with B&H brick and mortar store is that what they DO have in stock is always over at their warehouse instead of on their shelves. So they end up shipping it to you anyway. I've had better luck with Adorama.

NaCl(and they don't have much either)H2O
dont get me started w/ adorama. heh.

im starting to hate the staff there. so impersonal.

calumet, tho has very limited stock, will order what you need, albeit a tad higher than b/h and adorama. I like their staff there too, you can talk with them. one thing i did learn though, they all ask what gear I use, and I say K10d, and they all give it praise...and we end up having a 10 minute conversation on how everyone else likes the other stuff and pentax gets overlooked all the time
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
Well, I lucked up on a SMC Pentax DA 70mm today!!!!

I will post some pics when it gets here. Also, if you search "pentax limited" on ebay, there are some that were just added from henrys out of canada.
I think you'll really enjoy your DA 70; I got one at the end of last year and it's fast becoming one of my favorites.

Jerry