Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cirque Photo Paris

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
It seems it really depends on location: here in Toronto most bigger stores offer most of Pentax lenses and cameras currently in production. For example, at Henry's downtown superstore last time I have played with DA 16-45, DA 12-24 and DA 14 (I was considering wide angle lenses). Shelves were stocked with D-FA 50 and 100 Macro, DA Limiteds, and several non-DA lenses (I remember seeing FA 28-70/4 AL and several FA J lenses). Their outlet store just across the street had FA 28/2.8 AL and FA 50/1.4 (or maybe it was f/1.7) as well as *istD! Downtown camera is similar and they ordered for me some parts for my DS from Pentax Canada -- delivered within seven days. Black's Photo stocks DS, DL, K100D and DA 18-55 / 50-200, sometimes DA 16-45. There are Sigmas as well, but I was not paying closer attention at Sigmas. Finally, there are more Pentax ads and billboards on the streets of Toronto then Canon's and Nikon's: it is obvious that Pentax Canada is doing very good job.

My conclusion: it seems that availability depends on regional distributors, representatives or resellers and that sales effort is not quite well managed and synchronized by Pentax HQ or whoever is responsible for it. So if you live in an "unfortunate" region ordering from B&H may be your best option.

-= IVAN =-
I tend to agree with you. It seems that certain regions are more re-active than others. Here in Paris at Cirque Photo Store, they have pretty well the whole line of Pentax lenses available as well as a huge selection of used Pentax lenses. I think that those markets that have a greater concentration of advertising revenues invested are going to make sure that the product is available to reap the benifits of the exposure. It is kind of like a rock group on tour, advertisng the cities in which they are playing and the record store over stocking for the eventual increase in demand.

02-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

70mm Limited

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think you'll really enjoy your DA 70; I got one at the end of last year and it's fast becoming one of my favorites.

Jerry
Incredible lens and BRUTALLY sharp...It kills!
Shot this with the 70mm...

Last edited by benjikan; 03-14-2007 at 02:08 AM.
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
I am excited to be getting this lens, and after seeing some shots from others with this lens, I am getting chills down my spine.
I should have it by this weekend.
02-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I tend to agree with you. It seems that certain regions are more re-active than others.
It is not just the region being reactive, but who Pentax Japan wants to support ATM.. For example here in Australia we still haven't had the DA70 in this country at all, and not because the local distributor hasn't ordered it.. I guess Pentax just don't seem to see us as worthwhile???

Last edited by joele; 02-13-2007 at 07:44 PM.
02-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not encountered any problems . . . takes a bit of work but, . are you really searching eBay and all the online stores??? Over the past couple of months I have purchased the 50mm, 10-17mm, Sigma Bigma and several others without any problems and at good prices . . . ie. Bigma was $919 US and it was delivered in a few days. . . are you really searching or just hoping?
02-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
I have not encountered any problems . . . takes a bit of work but, . are you really searching eBay and all the online stores??? Over the past couple of months I have purchased the 50mm, 10-17mm, Sigma Bigma and several others without any problems and at good prices . . . ie. Bigma was $919 US and it was delivered in a few days. . . are you really searching or just hoping?
With the exception of the 10-17 you mentioned, none of the others were available at b&h or tri-city, those are the 2 main ones I have shopped.
Alot of times, I couldn't find a lens, it would be on ebay for more than retail!
I bought the 10-17 from tri-city and i ordered the 50-200 from b&h last week.
I found the 70 I purchased today on ebay from a camera shop and purchased it from them.
I don't think I am the only one having trouble locating lenses in stock. If you know of any available, maybe we should start listing them here for others.
02-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma Bigma Available

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
With the exception of the 10-17 you mentioned, none of the others were available at b&h or tri-city, those are the 2 main ones I have shopped.
Alot of times, I couldn't find a lens, it would be on ebay for more than retail!
I bought the 10-17 from tri-city and i ordered the 50-200 from b&h last week.
I found the 70 I purchased today on ebay from a camera shop and purchased it from them.
I don't think I am the only one having trouble locating lenses in stock. If you know of any available, maybe we should start listing them here for others.
I agree, there should, perhaps, be a forum area where we can post Known availability of lenses. Every now and then some will start a string about one particular lens but a single point would be good.
Sigma4Less.com is showing the Bigma in stock for 939 . . . search on "SG50500F4PX" . . .

02-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest LBA & Shopping Tip

Just received my latest find . . . SMCP-FA 28-200mm/3.8-5.6 with macro . . . saw it on eBay, for some reason my bid did not get in on time but nobody else bid on it. I checked with the stores website and got it for $182 delivered.

It is brand new and a beauty. Fast/accurate focus and great color rendition.

Would also suggest that when looking for any equipment you try a search at Nextag.com . . . will usually show several sites with availability and price. I just did a search on the 50-200 DA and it returned about a dozen stores with the lens "in stock". I also always call the store to verify availability.
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Searching really hard

Getting pentax lenses overseas or from on-line store is risky business. Every single lens of mine comes from US or ebay stores. Literally there is no warrantee and I never get a bargain.

Da70 price on ebay is a rip off. Da 40 price is soaring high as well.

This is all about choices.

All my lenses are acquired within last 4 months or so and I have problems with several lenses.

My bigma was sent in for repair twice at my own cost (AF parts was broken only after 2 weeks of using it and it broke again after fixing)

My Da 14 has manual focus ring being suddenly sluggish.

I have to pay the investigation cost and repair for these brand new lenses.

It would definitely make certain regions feel better if these lenses are just available to us to start with. It is better to feel not neglected.

p.s. I have already spent 650 US dollars on a Fish eye 10-17 on an ebay store and the ebay seller has suddenly de-registered. Therefore I had to go and get refund through paypal (pain in the ass)

We need choices rather than only one choice
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #25

Original Poster
I have bought 2 lenses off of ebay and I only buy from sellers there who are camera dealers. I have also dealt with b&h and tristate camera's websites and have had great business relationships with both of them. I send in the warranty cards the same day I buy the lenses and so far everything has been fine.
I hate to hear when an ebay seller rips someone off, as it makes it look bad for other sellers on ebay.
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

While plenty of sigma lenses are available, I am only using pentax brand for pentax lenses. Pentax is still the preferred brand.

Most of the commercial online stores listed from US do not have great communications with overseas buyers except the big few, bhphoto, adorama or keh; for most of other smaller stores, the communication usually relies on phone interaction rather than emails (this is to be taken into account of making expensive oversea phone call and being put on hold! Not only taking into consideration of time difference and attitude of customer service, the staff are usually ignorant what they have advertised)

Australia has heaps of sigma lens here (almost like a plague) because supplier could hardly obtain pentax primes. We all sort of turn into vultures nowadays and transform our bidding attitudes on ebay like crazy.

The sad thing is that my plan to get 3 Da ltd would come after my overseas trip in March. While these 3 lenses are new great lenses, I just get tired of costantly paying high price with high postage cost plus going through a high risk purchase with no warrantee
02-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Getting pentax lenses overseas or from on-line store is risky business. Every single lens of mine comes from US or ebay stores. Literally there is no warrantee and I never get a bargain.

Da70 price on ebay is a rip off. Da 40 price is soaring high as well.

This is all about choices.

All my lenses are acquired within last 4 months or so and I have problems with several lenses.

My bigma was sent in for repair twice at my own cost (AF parts was broken only after 2 weeks of using it and it broke again after fixing)

My Da 14 has manual focus ring being suddenly sluggish.

I have to pay the investigation cost and repair for these brand new lenses.

It would definitely make certain regions feel better if these lenses are just available to us to start with. It is better to feel not neglected.

p.s. I have already spent 650 US dollars on a Fish eye 10-17 on an ebay store and the ebay seller has suddenly de-registered. Therefore I had to go and get refund through paypal (pain in the ass)

We need choices rather than only one choice
As I suggested previously, I just did a search on Nextag.com for the 10-17 . . . turned up 7 stores with the lens in stock . . .
Here is the search url . . . Pentax smc P-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED Zoom Lens: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

I have done business with 17th and Abe's without any problems . . . not familiar with the other stores. Good luck.

I have a 10-17 and love it . . . it is a blast.
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The whole idea is no availability of lenses Da ltd in countries like Australia. Lenses like Da 70 or Da 21 are only available through overseas websites. Even with Fisheye lens, it has to go through channels overseas. And we are only talking about lenses from current production.

All consumers need choices and it is kind of funny to feel being left out, getting lenses from overseas all the time even with current non-limited lens line-up.

Thanks for your time in suggesting a few stores. (I used Next Tag a few times to find some lenses: a good search site)

Oh, yeah. I want to use Fe10-17 for bizarre view (my life is too dull at present)
02-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

As I suggested previously, I just did a search on Nextag.com for the 10-17 . . . turned up 7 stores with the lens in stock . . .
Here is the search url . . . Pentax smc P-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED Zoom Lens: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

I have done business with 17th and Abe's without any problems . . . not familiar with the other stores. Good luck.

I have a 10-17 and love it . . . it is a blast.
The real problem (at least in this situation) is that neither roentarre nor myself live in AMERICA, so if we buy from stores in the US (either ebay or brick and morter stores you point out) we have no LOCAL warranty... For high end lenses thats a risk I am not willing to take..
02-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I was lucky enough to stumble across a camera store in the Brisbane CBD yesterday that actually stocked a half decent range of pentax brand glass and accessories.

They had flashes and several lenses as well as both k100d and k10d bodies in stock. The prices wernt the best but i was sure surprised.