Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Real? SMC PENTAX-FA 50mm f=1.7 with a focus limiter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

SMC Pentax FA 50mm F 1 7 PK Autofocus Mount Caps Japan Unique Sought After | eBay
QuoteQuote:
SMC PENTAX-FA 50mm f=1.7 PK autofocus mount caps JAPAN UNIQUE! SOUGHT AFTER

famous and sought after manual focus standard lens for PENTAX K-AF bayonet SLR, DSLR and other digital cameras (by adapter) in almost NEW condition. It's unique specimen of PENTAX FA 50mm 1.7 lens - it has metal focusing ring with locking knob similar to some PENTAX "MACRO" lenses. I think that it could be some prototype or pre-production sample because there is no serial number and nothing found in the internet about such construction.

07-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was shown on ebay some time ago. The consensus, if I remember right, was that this was a frankenlens that someone had added the "lock/off" ring thing to. So nothing more than an FA 50mm that may or may not even work correctly. Certainly there is no official listing for this anywhere.
07-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a difference between a focus limiter and a focus clamp/lock. The limiter would be complex to add, while a clamp would be a relatively easy modification. But there might be a danger of the lock putting pressure onto the AF system.
I would avoid that lens, you can just get a regular F or FA 50mm. There are few cases where a non-macro 50mm lens would require a focus lock
07-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This was shown on ebay some time ago. The consensus, if I remember right, was that this was a frankenlens that someone had added the "lock/off" ring thing to. So nothing more than an FA 50mm that may or may not even work correctly. Certainly there is no official listing for this anywhere.
What would be the point?
Other than fraud.

07-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens is real and has been listed on eBay before. The so-called focus limiter is sort of strange and I have my doubts that it is a factory one-off. I do know that I would have no desire to mount it one of my cameras without knowing exactly how it works.

Edit: As noted above, this appears to be a focus clamp to lock the focus in a particular position. This type of device is commonly used for time-lapse and similar cases.

Steve
07-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
What would be the point? Other than fraud.
More likely the seller has no idea what he has but knows it is unique, thus he is asking a premium 'collector' price for it. The clamp or limiter seems to just be an and on. But without having it in hand who knows? it has been offered for sale before with no takers.
07-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wouldn't it be easier to turn the AF off in the body?

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens is real and has been listed on eBay before. The so-called focus limiter is sort of strange and I have my doubts that it is a factory one-off. I do know that I would have no desire to mount it one of my cameras without knowing exactly how it works.

Edit: As noted above, this appears to be a focus clamp to lock the focus in a particular position. This type of device is commonly used for time-lapse and similar cases.

Steve
aoeuaoeu

07-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
aoeuaoeu
The lock is for manual focus. At the body, one can leave AF on and simply disengage AF on half-press for the shutter. Gaffer's tape is another common solution.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-01-2016 at 02:23 PM.
07-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
More likely the seller has no idea what he has but knows it is unique, thus he is asking a premium 'collector' price for it. The clamp or limiter seems to just be an and on. But without having it in hand who knows? it has been offered for sale before with no takers.
I noticed that the serial number has gone missing and that the lens body is matte finish rather than the more typical FA semi-gloss. It may be that the lens was used in an industrial application. Zeiss makes a series for that purpose and all feature focus locks.

Steve
07-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #10

Locked off focus is(was) commonly used in automated and industrial systems. There may be hundreds of these lenses and the only rarity is finding one for sale.
07-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Locked off focus is(was) commonly used in automated and industrial systems. There may be hundreds of these lenses and the only rarity is finding one for sale.
I agree - this may well be a lens built for industrial purposes, these lenses are often environmentally sealed as well against dust and water that may be encountered in industrial settings. I suspect there isn't any significant advantage in using this lens over the standard FA50mm f/1.7...unless you have a specific need for a focus lock feature.
12-10-2016, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I own one of these lenses and the previous owner had no explanation as to why the lock was there. He never used it. There is some damage caused by the lock, but it has no effect on the lens at all including the AF. It's still fast and accurate. The serial number is also intacted as well. I purchased this lens along with an F 35-70 for $150 so I don't have any complaints.

Picture of my dog taken with the lens

Last edited by LeChefRouge; 04-10-2017 at 08:39 PM.
12-11-2016, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #13
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeChefRouge Quote
Picture of my dog taken with the lens
I can see the problem with these lenses. It appears they have the effect of rotating the image 88 degrees clockwise.
03-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

There's no 50mm from Pentax with focus limiter.
Lenses for Pentax with focus limiter - PentaxForums.com