Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope the last photo in that series was at 600mm (900mm equivalent) and a 20% crop
It was inded at 600mm, but I never crop my images (personal rule against cropping).
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
You know, this is one of those unique lenses from Pentax that deserves an update with the new coatings as it would be a solution to the lack of long telephoto options in our system. Ah well, I can but dream and make the most of the 150-450 when it arrives.

You've done well mate and I look forward to seeing some more excellent images from you with that lens...though maybe not so close to momma bear next time eh?

Tas
I was a little uncomfortable being so close, but out of the 200 photographers standing next to me, I figured I could run faster than half of them.

If Pentax did release a new version of this lens it wouldn't interest me, as I need an aperture ring for my older film bodies.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great pick up, I lost a great buy one one, a couple who had only used it 12 times on a few cruises had one and only wanted $5k for it. I phoned 20 minutes too late, since then the price has gone through the roof. I've moved on. Good to see some one is living my dream.
I'll live the dream for you. Too bad you lost out on a lens like this.
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps if the K-1 does well, Ricoh will be tempted to start re-introducing some pro-grade lenses like the 250-600 into the line-up. As a kind of big brother to the DFA 150-450.

Speaking of using the K-1 with long lenses, Ricoh need to do something about the current lack of a modern 1.4x FF-compatible teleconverter for Pentax.
I was saving up for the K-1 and was getting close to pulling the trigger, then found a certain telephoto zoom lens I've been wanting for years. My K-1 fund is empty now.

I'd love to see a new teleconverter from Pentax. The regular FF teleconverters don't work with this lens. You need the -L teleconverters instead.

07-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for sharing your Jellystone shots and the experience with the case. I read the posts that you made around the time of the purchase and am happy that you followed through. Enjoy that beast!
07-05-2016, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Tom.

Desiccant has arrived and fits inside the foam perfectly without any wiggle-room.
07-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice touch with the desiccant, that case looks fantastic!

07-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for interest and future reference, so you know what process they use for cutting the foam? I assume from the clean edges that it's not a heat process, and I don't see any saw leader marks, so it doesn't appear to be a two-part insert. A horizontal mill would leave a circular end profile, whereas this is full depth, so I'm a little mystified.
07-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm a little mystified.
I am too. It's cut from a single piece of foam, but the first cut took the entire shape out at the maximum depth. Then I'm assuming they cut the other depths from the large piece removed. So the smaller depth cavities have removable pieces of foam on the first, deeper cut. The removable pieces are firmly in place and don't move at all.

I'm not sure how they make the cuts, because there is no lost material where the cuts were made. The case arrived with all foam pieces still in the cavities, so I had to remove and throw them away. It was quite difficult to pull the pieces out because they were lodged into the cavities so tightly.
07-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I am too. It's cut from a single piece of foam, but the first cut took the entire shape out at the maximum depth. Then I'm assuming they cut the other depths from the large piece removed. So the smaller depth cavities have removable pieces of foam on the first, deeper cut. The removable pieces are firmly in place and don't move at all.

I'm not sure how they make the cuts, because there is no lost material where the cuts were made. The case arrived with all foam pieces still in the cavities, so I had to remove and throw them away. It was quite difficult to pull the pieces out because they were lodged into the cavities so tightly.
OK, thanks. A little mystery will have to remain.

07-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water jet?
07-06-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
Water jet?
Or a laser maybe?
Custom Laser Cut Foam Inserts For Cases | Precision Cut Foam
07-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Good find, thanks. Fine control of the intensity of the laser beam required, obviously.
07-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good find, thanks. Fine control of the intensity of the laser beam required, obviously.
I did not realize that I linked to the same place as to where the OP had ordered theirs from?
07-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't even want to know the price! LOL!

Randy
10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For your information, this lens does accept a 112mm filter on the front.
Love to have a case like yours to store the lens.
10-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! And the case is a perfect fit!! That's a great lens, can't wait to see more from it.
10-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I thought I had seen those pics before, and behold another bump of an old thread that really didn't need to be.