Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have already informed, the 35mm macro is ok used without the hood.
And I was very happy to see that DA12-24 and even Rokinon 8mm, both are usable with DA1.4TC !
Unfortunatelly the DA*16-50 is no good for K-1. Too much vignetting even with the TC.

07-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
As others have already informed, the 35mm macro is ok used without the hood.
Its vignetting is stronger than DA 70ltd however, with hood, or without.
07-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks so much for posting this information. This is very valuable to all of us. I have all of the DA Limiteds (except the zoom) and these are my mainstay lenses. I am considering a K-1 in the future but I have my doubts if these lenses in crop mode are any upgrade from them on my K-3. Did you try the DA 40 and 70 limiteds at F 2.8 without their hoods? This would be the test to see if they are completely FF compatible. If they do not vignette at their maximum aperture then I would consider them FF ready and keepers. I would be willing to forgo their hoods, no problem with that.

Thanks again, I appreciate these posts from everyone who upgraded to the K-1
07-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Here is DA15mm with hood on K-1 after crop, and how it looks in LR before cropping:

Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 07-03-2016 at 09:32 AM.
07-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Here is DA15mm with hood on K-1 after crop, and how it looks in LR before cropping:
Just for clarification, is the crop you are displaying in Lightroom an exact APS-C area crop relative to the full image frame? Or is it a custom crop which you have defined for maximum preservation of usable picture area?

If the latter, by how much do they differ?
07-03-2016, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Or is it a custom crop which you have defined for maximum preservation of usable picture area?
If the latter, by how much do they differ?
It's custom crop, yes, for maximum preservation. In my opinion, shooting in crop mode with DA 15 is easy way to adjust the image in LR, and the area is almost the same, but I don't need to deal with tonal editing. I'm going to search my images, if I have two similar in crop mode and FF, I will post them to show.

Here. The first one is crop mode.
The second one is FF mode, basically from the same distance.

I love DA15ltd, but it almost hurts to see how much frame is missing one way or another.
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 07-03-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: pictures
07-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

DA 35mm macro at f9 in FF mode, hood in.

Attached Images

07-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes. There was no noticeable vignetting from either lens even wide open!
Thanks for the very good info and the excellent photo examples. I have a 70 and 40, excellent to know they will work fine on a K-1.

I also have a 21 Ltd., not sure about that lens on a FF though.
07-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here. The first one is crop mode.
The second one is FF mode
Many thanks for taking the time.

I love DA15ltd, but it almost hurts to see how much frame is missing one way or another.
I know, but at the time it was designed I think a full-frame Pentax DSLR simply wasn't on the radar in any realistic sense, and they understandably optimised the design for APS-C to give us the beautifully small package we see today. The pics in the lens review subforum do not often give a sense of scale; I suspect that next to this, the 15mm full-frame lenses of the film era are substantially larger and more awkward. The fact that this one takes a regular 49mm filter is a great help, although one must of course be careful with polarisers...

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I also have a 21 Ltd., not sure about that lens on a FF though.
I've put it on a film body and there's noticeable vignetting. Not recommended in full-frame mode for those who eschew post-processing, but not as bad as the DA15.
07-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I know, but at the time it was designed I think a full-frame Pentax DSLR simply wasn't on the radar in any realistic sense, and they understandably optimised the design for APS-C to give us the beautifully small package we see today.
I hope it will be possible for Ricoh to convert DA15 for FF. There are so many things about that lens to love it.
07-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
OK, at f/2.4 there is some minor corner darkening, but this is pretty well cleaned up by profile corrections in LR.
Here is my original test of the DA* Limited on the K-1. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320603-near-full-frame-per...ted-k-1-a.html
07-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope it will be possible for Ricoh to convert DA15 for FF. There are so many things about that lens to love it.
An UWA prime is on the Pentax Roadmap for 2017, so just be patient. It is "large aperture" though, so won't be nearly as compact as the DA15 unfortunately.

Perhaps the "wide angle single focus lens" also on the roadmap will be a more direct replacement. If it's say 22mm, that would be roughly the same FOV as the DA15 on APS-C.
07-18-2016, 09:03 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Postscript

For anyone trawling this old thread for information on the how DA Limiteds perform on FF, I have done some more controlled testing (shooting the brick front of my house). My results are basically consistent with what was stated earlier in this thread.

DA 40
With or without hood, there is not much vignetting. However, wide open (f/2.8) the corners are extremely muddy, and not really useable unless they are already a long way out of focus. This gradually improves with stopping down, is still very apparent at f/4, but good by f/8. It continues to improve beyond f/8. I recommend shooting the DA40 in FF mode, but cropping as required. Even at f/2.8, the "good" area is much bigger than APS-C.

DA 70
The DA 70 Limited is sharper in the corners than the DA 40 at all apertures, though they are noticeably darker at f/2.4. The vignetting is rectified in LR by clicking on "Enable Profile Corrections". Comparing with a "proper" FF zoom at 70mm (the D FA 28-105), the DA 70 Limited is much sharper at frame centre, but less sharp in the corners at all apertures. Results are the same with and without hood. Even on APS-C, the DA 70 is not noted for it's "across the frame sharpness"; it is essentially a portrait lens. This is certainly the case on FF as well, where though it remains very useable.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-18-2016 at 10:10 PM.