Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I knew you were going to love this lens. I love mine and won't consider getting rid of it, despite my recent FA 77 ltd purchase. Love this lens...

c[_]

P.S. Great shots Jsherman!
Thanks!

I don't think it's a replacement for the 77, but it could be considered kinda
like a DA 70ltd - with 1:1 macro capability!

That's basically how I thought I would categorize it, and it turned out to be
exactly true.

Here are a few more from today:

1)

2)

3)

4) Wide open

5) Wide open

6)

7) Wide open

8) Wide open

9)

10) wine open

11) wide open

12)



Good detail for long shots also:



Cropped



Last edited by jsherman999; 07-19-2008 at 11:05 PM.
07-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,479
Jay,
You seem to have a lot of Yellowjacket wasps! Careful with those guys!

Steve
07-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #18
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
Great shots J! The shot of the fence really shows the effectiveness of the fuzzy bokeh and your house (if that's yours) is freakin' huge!

I agree with you fully about the 70 ltd, that's why I didn't go for that lens. The 77mm's focal length is different enough, and the look of the shots are definitely more distinct. I didn't see much difference between the 70 ltd and the 70 macro (lens size aside) when looking at the images.

Keep 'em comin'!

c[_]
07-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Great shots J! The shot of the fence really shows the effectiveness of the fuzzy bokeh and your house (if that's yours) is freakin' huge!

I agree with you fully about the 70 ltd, that's why I didn't go for that lens. The 77mm's focal length is different enough, and the look of the shots are definitely more distinct. I didn't see much difference between the 70 ltd and the 70 macro (lens size aside) when looking at the images.

Keep 'em comin'!

c[_]

Heh, not my house, and not anyone's house - it was a gift to the city back in the day
and now it's a historical landmark that's also used for city park administration. But it's still purty!


.

07-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Jay,
You seem to have a lot of Yellowjacket wasps! Careful with those guys!

Steve

You're not kidding. They're much crabbier about getting their picture taken
than honeybees, I'll tell you that.

They're like the Sean Penn of bugs.


.
07-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Longueuil, QC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 91
Are you using a tripod for the macro shots ?

-TanGU
07-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
Are you using a tripod for the macro shots ?

-TanGU
No, handheld. I pretty much never use a tripod for anything these days, mainly
because my photography is usually spur 'o the moment, whenever I have some
free time.

That's also why I like the shorter macros (35, 50, 70) and didn't consider the
Sigma 180 - handheld macro at that focal length is tough, even with SR.


.
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Mike Bokeh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 597
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
They're like the Sean Penn of bugs.
.
Hee-Hee!

I liked that!

Mike

07-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #24
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Longueuil, QC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
No, handheld. I pretty much never use a tripod for anything these days, mainly
because my photography is usually spur 'o the moment, whenever I have some
free time.

That's also why I like the shorter macros (35, 50, 70) and didn't consider the
Sigma 180 - handheld macro at that focal length is tough, even with SR.

.
Thanks for you opinion... i'll consider it, i want to buy a good macro, i was looking for a 105mm, but maybe a 70 will do, it will be mostly some bugs and flowers so i don't need to be very far from it.

Thanks for sharing your picture !
07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member
khardur's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,505
those are some really nice shots, that's one good lens there. Have any issues with color cast compared to your Pentax lenses? I have (admittedly, an el cheapo) sigma 28-105 zoom from back in my film days that has a terrible blueish cast compared to my other lenses.

(thanks for the info and all the great pics, btw)
07-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
those are some really nice shots, that's one good lens there. Have any issues with color cast compared to your Pentax lenses? I have (admittedly, an el cheapo) sigma 28-105 zoom from back in my film days that has a terrible blueish cast compared to my other lenses.

(thanks for the info and all the great pics, btw)
Thanks!

I haven't noticed any major color cast issues with the lens - what you see there
are jpegs straight out of the camera. A few have a one click contrast adjustment
in picasa, but none changed significantly.

I'll pay attention to color cast & report if I notice anything.

I highly recommend this lens, BTW. Sigma != Stigma any more, at least with the
EX line.


.
07-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
You tempt the gods with your sprinkler head shot, but it turned out great, heh. I also like your bird shot in the curious way you do - you hit the focus on that one and the oof areas give interest.

This is one sharp lens from wide open given your samples. The look of the fence shot and the other non-macros seem to share some charactertistics with some of the new 50/1.4 samples I've seen. I think Sigma has definately got the MTF thing down these days.
07-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
You tempt the gods with your sprinkler head shot, but it turned out great, heh. I also like your bird shot in the curious way you do - you hit the focus on that one and the oof areas give interest.

This is one sharp lens from wide open given your samples. The look of the fence shot and the other non-macros seem to share some charactertistics with some of the new 50/1.4 samples I've seen. I think Sigma has definately got the MTF thing down these days.

It was actually rotating pretty slowly.


Here are a few more from a quick walk today:

















07-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
Love the detail in the metal from the third pick (a boat?!?).

c[_]
07-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Love the detail in the metal from the third pick (a boat?!?).

c[_]

It's an old Alumacraft canoe. I used to carry one of those on 200+ rod portages
through the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) on canoe/fishing trips
with my Dad and brothers. They weigh about 75-80 pounds, and are not fun
to try to balance while standing on one leg on a 20-degree muddy slope while
slapping mosquitos.

That's one characteristic I've noticed in some very good lenses - the ability
to render metallic objects very nicely - making them look like 'metal', not just
some random silverish surface.

Mike Cash's Super Tak 105 does that nicely also, a few others in the M, K and S-Tak threads.

.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70mm, k-mount, pentax lens, shot, sigma 70mm macro, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - VS - Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Braciola Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-15-2010 04:54 AM
Streets My first Macro lens, the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Here are my 1st few shots with it! aaronius Post Your Photos! 4 04-30-2010 07:23 PM
Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro non-macro shots al_undy Post Your Photos! 5 03-25-2009 10:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top