Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cosina 55 1.4 M42

does anyone know anything about this lens?
can't find it anywhere

Thanks

Randy

Last edited by slip; 07-03-2016 at 01:18 PM.
07-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty lens. I know nothing about it except that there is one with a slightly higher serial number on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/giifoto/5374487888/

Steveh
07-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cosinon Auto f:1.4/55mm M42 mount

according to the mflenses people it's probably a Tomioka. Check the back element, it should be completely flat.
07-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Cosinon Auto f:1.4/55mm M42 mount

according to the mflenses people it's probably a Tomioka. Check the back element, it should be completely flat.
it's not mine as I need to find out something about it before I consider it

Randy

07-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Made in 1979. Other info is here: Robert Monaghan's "Third Party Lenses Resource Megasite" can be retrieved - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum
07-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cosina is a Japan manufacture of high end lens. They use to manufacture cameras under their own name, but discontinued them n the late 80s or early 90. Their best now for their Voigtländer products. They also manufacture lens for Carl Ziess. Zeiss Batis gets Cosina warranty in Japan (so now you know who builds them). - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors. Cosina manufactures manual focus SLR lenses for Carl Zeiss with Leica (ZM),[2] Nikon (ZF), Pentax (ZK), Canon EOS (ZE), and M42 screw mounts (ZS

Last edited by fwbigd; 07-03-2016 at 07:00 PM.
07-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
it's not mine as I need to find out something about it before I consider it

Randy
It sure is pretty. If the price is right, I would definitely give it a try.

Steve

(...would not pay more than $50 USD including shipping, if it were me...)
07-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The flickr group about this lens is also screaming Tomioka at me. I have a Porst variant. But there are also Rikenon, Revuenon, Chinon's out there, and probably more as Tomioka made lenses for a lot's of companies. It is pretty soft wide open.

06-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Well Ken Wheeler the Angry Photographer got a short video and Loves this lens.

Yeah its a short "secret M42 mount lens" review video on YouTube he loves the Cosina 55mm f1.4. Cosina is the Japanese manufacturer for all Voigtlander lens and says if you can get it for under 140.00 its a steal and a fabulous lens.
06-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Definitely Tomioka.
There are different incarnations with completely different barrel style, in both M42 and PK mount.
From the way it looks it's quite old.
I love this look, with aluminum edges.
The latest version is the one with soft plastic focusing ring, with elliptical ridges that should help to grip the ring with your fingers.
The aesthetic result is quite poor, but the more recent the build, the more modern the coating.
I don't own the f/1.4 version, just the f/1.2 (in two different optical designs, Tomioka and Cosina).
The former is great, in the same league as the Pentax 50mm f/1.2, maybe even better.
The f/1.4 design should be as good, from what I read.
Mine has enough sharpness, the right amount of undercorrected spherical aberration wide open, and almost no lateral color. It comes in PK mount, and I use it wide open (or stopped down 1 click at most), therefore I can get away with the green button, using AV setting, and forgetting about anything else but exposure compensation.

The f/1.4 design should have a similar character, it weights less, and comes at less than half the price... but is half a stop slower.

Many times I have been tempted to buy the f/1.4 too, and compare the optical signature myself.
For a reason or the other it didn't materialize, and recently the prices have gone up... so it's not at the top of my "to buy" list anymore

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-11-2017 at 09:47 PM.
06-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Definitely Tomioka.
Quite possibly, though also quite possibly Cosina. After all, Cosina had been making their own glass since 1968 and had been assembling and finishing lenses since the late 1950s. The MC designation would indicate a mid-70s or later manufacture. There are detail photos of both the model in question and (probably) later Porst 55/1.4 at the Pentax User Web site:

Porst and Cosina 55mm f/1.4 (M42)

I own the Tomioka-made Auto Rikenon 55/1.4 and it is on the desktop beside me as I type. In comparison, the focus ring knurling is quite quite different (flat as opposed to indented on the Rikenon) and the aperture ring appears to be quite unique. As noted above, the rear element is fairly diagnostic. It should be 30mm across and essentially flat (very subtle crown) with minimal bezel and bare glass projecting about a millimeter(naked as it were). The edges of the rear element are often chipped as a result. The rear element of the lens at the PU site appears to fit the criteria, but the construction of the rear of the lens differs in several details, particularly in regards to the aperture ring and M/A switch, from that of my Rikenon.

FWIW, there is sort of a mythos regarding the Tomioka name as if it is indication of something wonderful. In truth, they were OEM manufacturers whose products found their way in the lines of a fair number of non-top-tier brands from the mid-1960s through the mid-1970s. Appearance and build quality rivaled the big names and optical quality was usually quite good. In the case of the few lenses actually branded with the Tomioka name, they were quite excellent.

I rate my Auto Rikenon 55/1.4 M42 fairly high except for its two main flaws. The first is that it has lower contrast than top-tier f/1.4 lenses of the time. The second is that the flat rear element may reflect a hot spot onto the film/sensor under some lighting conditions.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-18-2017 at 07:28 PM.
06-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Quite possibly, though also quite possibly Cosina.
Some people suggested that Cosina has licensed the design and made it themselves. My Porst version (Non MC has a metal focus ring with straight metal knurls). Has a name ring that looks very Cosina.

It definitely has the flat back element (which causes reflections on the sensor when stopped down).
06-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Please be aware that the f/1.2 and the f/1.4 versions are two different beasts.
If the Porst f/1.4 is a Tomioka design, it doesn't mean that the f/1.2 is also a Tomioka.
Actually it's not.
I use the word "design" intentionally.
My Revuenon 1.2/55mm is for sure a Tomioka design, but it could have been made by Cosina.
Another possibility: Cosina made the barrel and Tomioka provided the optical elements.
At that time Japanese lens makers worked together with a very high level of integration.
06-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
At that time Japanese lens makers worked together with a very high level of integration.
...and "that time" spanned several decades. I like to think of it as a many component suppliers providing essentially equivalent goods (focus/aperture rings, lens barrels, bezels, mounts, etc.) to be mixed/matched for final assembly.* The companies that made quality optical assemblies were relatively limited with some acting exclusively as in-house suppliers for their brands (Pentax, Nikon, Minolta, Konica, Mamiya/Sekor) and others (Tomioka being the most prominent for many years followed by Cosina) acting as OEM suppliers to the market in general. Over time, tooling and designs often made their way to other than the original maker. As a result, it is quite possible that Cosina acquired certain lens technologies and tooling as Tomioka's energies shifted to fulfilling goods for Yashica and its partners. Yesterday's Tomioka-made Rikenon becomes today's Cosina-made Chinon.

The matter of optical designs is similarly muddled. In the case of Japanese "fast 50s", designs were derived from the Zeiss Planar with variation to suit performance goals and the realities of manufacturing methods. Makers freely copied each other as well as the Germans with the result being fairly uniform good-excellent performance across brands. Differentiation was in the fine points of implementation and quality of manufacture. Finding those points of excellence is a challenge once one moves away from those brands with captive optical departments.

That is why my comment above suggested that the OP give the lens a try, assuming it is not priced outrageously. I generally use the Super-Tak 50/1.4 as a high reference point for f/1.4 M42 lens pricing.**

Steve

* A similar dynamic exists today for small electrical and electronic components as well as machined metal goods. There is a reason why some many photo accessories look the same.

** There are various cult classics, of course, that allow for higher prices, but I bottom feed and won't go there.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2017 at 06:47 AM.