Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other PLM lenses or updates with plm motor?

Now that the K-70 will offer us auto-focus in video will Pentax make new versions of older lenses with PLM motor ?

Because, if I understand it right, only with those lenses will you have auto-focus and full control of the aperture in video mode?

What do you think?

Igor

07-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentigor Quote
Now that the K-70 will offer us auto-focus in video will Pentax make new versions of older lenses with PLM motor ? Because, if I understand it right, only with those lenses will you have auto-focus and full control of the aperture in video mode?
Doubtful, because DC lenses also offer continuous video AF.

The electronically actuated aperture allows for smooth aperture changes, but you can change the aperture in the traditional way with any A type lens or newer. I think a few more KAF4 lenses will hit the market, mainly for consumer use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Doubtful, because DC lenses also offer continuous video AF.

The electronically actuated aperture allows for smooth aperture changes, but you can change the aperture in the traditional way with any A type lens or newer. I think a few more KAF4 lenses will hit the market, mainly for consumer use.

Hello Adam,

Pentax has few lenses with an aperture ring... I'd like to couple the k-70 with some kind of 18-50lens with aperture ring and auto-focus (DC) for my video needs, if you have any ideas...
many thanks for your input and all the work you do to keep this forum running,

Igor
07-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello Adam,

Pentax has few lenses with an aperture ring... I'd like to couple the k-70 with some kind of 18-50lens with aperture ring and auto-focus (DC) for my video needs, if you have any ideas...
many thanks for your input and all the work you do to keep this forum running,

Igor
You don't need an aperture ring- just put the camera in Av mode for video and you can change the aperture ring recording.

Sounds like the DA 18-50mm fits the bill, since it has DC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd like to couple the k-70 with some kind of 18-50lens with aperture ring and auto-focus (DC) for my video needs
I don't think there is any such lens. All the Pentax lenses with silent AF have no aperture ring. Maybe there is some third party lens that fits. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Honestly, for video, I would recommend something like Samyang cine lenses. High quality primes of various focal lengths, manual focus, click-less aperture ring, T-stops, follow focus geared focus ring texture..

Keep in mind that aperture can still be changed. Lenses without aperture ring still can change apertures, but it is done through the camera, not by hand on the lens barrel. Main reason to use an aperture ring is when you are using adapters or reversing a lens for macro work. For most other needs, you don't need a physical aperture ring on the lens.
07-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you both for your input,

with my k-x I have no control of the aperture in video, only with the aperture ring, so I thought that was the same with the k-70.
So the problem is not existing with the k-70, many thanks,

Igor
07-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
After 6 years of ownership and a re-read of the manual I discovered that there is a menu in which you can set the video in fixed-aperture on the k-x (as opposed to automatic aperture).
So you can control the aperture when filming with the k-x.

I have one excuse, when I bought the k-x I read the manual, but at that point I was not interested in video, so I didn't read that part with much attention...

I guess I'll buy the K-70 with the 18-135 DC, that should cover all my video needs and much more.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa,

Thanks for your input and opening my eyes,

Igor

07-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess I'll buy the K-70 with the 18-135 DC, that should cover all my video needs and much more. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa,
It happens, don't worry about it.
That's a good lens choice, its a very popular lens on these forums, with WR and DC, very comfortable zoom range. And the K-70 seems like it will be a great camera, as well.