Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for adding historical prices to the Pentax Lens reviews

Thank you Adam and the Forum for adding historical prices to the Pentax Lens reviews. It will certainly help me make better lens purchase decisions.

07-03-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My pleasure. This feature had been planned for a while and it's finally live. It's also available in the lens finder tool as well as the camera database.

In the future we will likely be adding more retailers, including Amazon and those outside of the US.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have the user purchase prices been removed permanently? I personally found more value in those charts,
especially for the used market.
07-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Have the user purchase prices been removed permanently? I personally found more value in those charts,
Hopefully they are gone forever. Those old charts were not very useful and didn't reflect 'real' prices for the most part. People would put up reviews and put the prices in Canadian Dollars or Euros or Pounds or Australian Dollars...and a lot of time people would just put $1 for things that were given to them or whatever....

Personally those old charts were more of a headache than any real information about current or even past prices. The first thing that would happen is new people would look at those charts for prices and it didn't reflect reality at all....then it sets a false expectation of what kind of deals they are going to get.

07-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They are only going to be available for legacy gear.

Soon the main price history chart will start showing prices corresponding to the user's region. If you guys have any non-US retailer suggestions, just let me know and I'll see what can be done! I'm thinking that stores like Henry's, SRS, and WEX might be good for the price history tool, as they tend to carry the full Pentax lineup.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you guys have any non-US retailer suggestions, just let me know and I'll see what can be done! I'm thinking that stores like Henry's, SRS, and WEX might be good for the price history tool, as they tend to carry the full Pentax lineup.
Maybe TCS as well?
07-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Hopefully they are gone forever. Those old charts were not very useful and didn't reflect 'real' prices for the most part. People would put up reviews and put the prices in Canadian Dollars or Euros or Pounds or Australian Dollars...and a lot of time people would just put $1 for things that were given to them or whatever....
Good point. I always gave an honest entry, for the use of all. Not sure why others would feel compelled to over- or understate
a price: embarrassment, braggery or paranoia? Nonetheless, it was easy enough to toss out the outliers and still get an idea
of what things were selling for.

07-05-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

Personally those old charts were more of a headache than any real information about current or even past prices. The first thing that would happen is new people would look at those charts for prices and it didn't reflect reality at all....then it sets a false expectation of what kind of deals they are going to get.
I respectfully disagree. I understand where you're coming from, but I still found the prices that users had paid for equipment very valuable in determining whether something was a "good deal" or not. As tvdtvdtvd said:

Good point. I always gave an honest entry, for the use of all. Not sure why others would feel compelled to over- or understate a price: embarrassment, braggery or paranoia? Nonetheless, it was easy enough to toss out the outliers and still get an idea of what things were selling for.
I personally wouldn't mind a bit if there was some way to have both graphs, or at least a way to select between them! Thank you @Adam for at least keeping the old charts for legacy glass. I guess that's mainly what I used it for anyway.
07-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Adam, will lens reviews eventually be available in the mobile skin?
07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Adam, will lens reviews eventually be available in the mobile skin?
Yes, it's something we'd like to roll out soon

Adam