Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
but took a second shot, same framing but with focus point on the hands ( 2k x 2k or 1/9th crop)
I really like that shot!

Regards!

There is the theoretical position and the real life position regarding FF vs APS-C and pixel density from cropping. In theory the greater the density the better the benefit of a cropped shot. I guess if you are printing the theory becomes fact, but for many, myself included, I rarely print. Most everything I shoot is from the K1 Crop Mode, is processed, downsized, and posted on the net where it is most difficult to ascertain if it is a Crop or FF shot. I see plenty of Crop shots in the K1 photo thread and they are mostly indistinguishable from FF shots.....so if you are a non-printer...this is a non-issue.

08-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I really like that shot!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert!
08-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #18
Forum Member

The shot of the hands is a beauty mate.
08-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jocelys1 Quote
The shot of the hands is a beauty mate.
Thankyou!

08-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A mildly quirky thing that I've benefitted from with the K-1 and DFA 150-450 is the ability to find a shot within a shot from time to time..... this shot is from a monkey shot.... I focussed on the eyes (450mm f9 iso 1600 hand held) but took a second shot, same framing but with focus point on the hands ( 2k x 2k or 1/9th crop)
Awesome picture!
08-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For those of us contemplating the switch to a K-1 who don't have piles of money, the cost of a K-1 plus a 150-450 is close to $5000 CAD. To make that decision I'd have to see some kind of clear demonstration of K-1 superiority. While I understand if you've made the investment, you're probably going to prefer a lot of things about the K-1, if you haven't made the investment, I doubt posts like the above are going to be enough to convince us to lay out that kind of money. For me, I need to see a lot of improvement to justify spending $5000 CAD on new gear. Although I have to admit, for many, it's chump change.
I've often thought about buying the new 70-200 + k1, but that's getting to be a huge chunk of money. And like I said in another thread, the K3 isn't actually holding me back so it's hard to justify!

I would love to get the 150-450, what a lens.
08-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The only thing I ever want to know nobody tests.
Could you hire one and test it yourself?

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2016 at 06:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
The higher useable ISO on K1 make alot of difference I find...only wish the buffer was faster & bigger!! 11 shots then wait 3 min is not so exciting
I recently ran a test on frames before the K-1 pauses, then time for the light to go out as the buffer clears. (Manual focusing to avoid AF delays, FF mode, DNG only, fastest burst rate).

In 5 tests immediately after one-another:

13 in burst until the pause
23 seconds after the pause until light goes out

8 in burst until the pause
16 seconds after the pause until light goes out

22 seconds after the pause until light goes out

Total time for all of the above, from first frame to a single frame after the last light-going-out (during which 60 frames were shot):
1 minute 59 seconds.

(I have no idea why the "8 & 16" happened!)

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. (95 MB/s, SDXC1, "3", "10")

08-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Could you hire one and test it yourself?

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2016 at 06:13 PM ----------

I recently ran a test on frames before the K-1 pauses, then time for the light to go out as the buffer clears. (Manual focusing to avoid AF delays, FF mode, DNG only, fastest burst rate).

In 5 tests immediately after one-another:

8 in burst until the pause
16 seconds after the pause until light goes out

22 seconds after the pause until light goes out

Total time for all of the above, from first frame to a single frame after the last light-going-out (during which 60 frames were shot):
1 minute 59 seconds.

(I have no idea why the "8 & 16" happened!)

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. (95 MB/s, SDXC1, "3", "10")
Norm is in the wilds of Ontario, not a lot of options for renting camera gear anywhere near him AFAIK. :P
08-14-2016, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The problem discussed here is related to a limited number of tests and owner opinions. Looks like there are not as many K1, 150-450, 70-200, ... samples out there.
We have little to no idea about the 150-450 performance on FF. And new questions are related to weird combinations of gear because Pentax did not develop a decent TC or other lenses in recent years. TC1.7 is old, the current 1.4TC is not FF ready, TC 2x is not existing, ... dedicated lenses for TCs do not exist.
I've been using the K-1 plus 150-450mm and 70-200mm lens at airshows and motorsports, and some birding, many times over the last three and a half months.
I've probably taken well over 20,000 frames with the K-1 and those lenses. I've uploaded 100s of the results to the Pentax SLR Forum at DPReview.

Some links to the threads containing those photos, (photos are typically spread over several posts), and to my user-review of the K-1 which have lots of links in it to photos:

My user review of the K-1

Photos showing some of the K-1's AF capability

Things in flight at the Duxford American Air Show

Photos of "Power and Speed". I love my K-1!

RAF Cosford Airshow, 19th June

Photos of the RIAT and Flying Legends Airshows

Photos (73 of them) from Farnborough Airshow

My initial K-1 thread covering my first month's worth of photos
08-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great resources, Barry!