Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #1

CA in digital photography

When I was using 17-28 fisheye with my film camera, I never noticed any CA. I am noticing some occasional CA in high contrast area (tree branches) with the same lens when using K200d.

Do any of you have similar experience? Here is a list of possible causes.

1. CA was always there but never paid any attention when shooting film. Never made direct comparason between film and digital (same subject and lighting). My Pentax 35mm body died few years ago.

2. Digital sensors are more sensitive/unforgiving.

3. CA is more visibly amplified because of SR? I initially left SR on at all times. I read that SR might contribute.

I am excluding full frame to APS difference. New 10-17 fisheye users are reporting some CA in their images.

07-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
1. CA was always there but never paid any attention when shooting film.
I would say this is by far the most significant reason.

With film, seeing pictures enlarged was the exception, not the rule. Now we look at our pictures at 100% very frequently. All of my lenses show CA to one extent or another. They don't bend the light any differently just because they're on a digital camera.

QuoteQuote:
2. Digital sensors are more sensitive/unforgiving.
There does seem to be some evidence that purple fringing is more prevalent with digital than film, although some lenses do seem to give rise to more of it than others.

QuoteQuote:
3. CA is more visibly amplified because of SR? I initially left SR on at all times. I read that SR might contribute.
I don't believe this for a moment. The idea that the sensor can be physically moved in such a way as to spread out the different wavelengths of light seems incredibly far-fetched.

I read that aliens abduct people, but that doesn't make it true