Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
I'm almost sure that FA* is a better all-round lens. It has a very special colour rendition. I also think that it is a rather sharp lens. However one should always have an open mind. It's interesting to me wether D FA* is really better or it is not.
Well, the problem with the comparison is that you are comparing a new lens with full warranty support to a lens that is only available used. If you have a copy of the FA * 80-200 that you are satisfied with then I wouldn't go any further.

That said, the reasons to get the DFA * lens over the FA * lens are weather sealing, faster auto focus (and silent auto focus), and quick shift. I own the DFA * 70-200 and it is quite sharp wide open throughout its range, but I have no doubt that the 80-200 is no slouch either and I wouldn't expect a little bit of difference in border sharpness to be a significant issue in most images.

I would also note that the DFA *70-200 is a really big lens and the 80-200 is smaller (although still big). If smaller size is important then that is another reason to go with the older lens.

07-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That said, the reasons to get the DFA * lens over the FA * lens are weather sealing, faster auto focus (and silent auto focus), and quick shift.
Weather-sealing is sure an advantage but as for "faster auto focus" I wouldn't be so sure. Most Pentax lenses with a screw-drive focus faster than with the SDM. And 80-200 is very well known as a very fast focusing lens (D FA*, on the other hand, is known as a lens with a moderate AF speed). I would also be great if someone compared their AF speed side by side.
As for quick-shift, there is and advantage of D FA* but only marginal because FA* also has a quick option for manual focusing.
07-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The 70-200 is no SDM. I don't have it, I can't say how fast it can focus - but my D FA 28-105 obliterates any screw drive lens I've tried. The screw drive gears simply aren't precise enough for one smooth movement.
07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw some charts where it is shown that D FA* 70-200/2.8 is much sharper than FA* 80-200/2.8. However, it seems to me that either the test was incorrect or the copy of FA* 80-200 was damaged. Can anyone who owns both FA* and D FA* tell their own opinion on this topic?
I look at images from my FA* 80-200 and don't quite understand how can a D FA* 70-200 be much sharper? Here is a sample from my K-1 + FA* 80-200 @200mm and f2.8. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/6XmE/GWPu6n2qT
When I compared the two I found the DFA* to be about 1.5 stops ahead of the FA* in terms of center sharpness and in the corners, the newer lens crushed the old one outright, with the FA* never catching up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One stop(!) ahead in sharpness!!??? What does than mean? Stops is about exposure.....
07-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I would love to see comparisons, side by side, to see the differences.
So would I, so if someone would like to send me a D-FA*70-200, I'd be happy to test it against my FA*80-200.

As for the comparison of the FA*80-200 with the Tamron and Sigma equivalents, I'd wonder if sample variation may be a factor in the PF result.
07-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather-sealing is sure an advantage but as for "faster auto focus" I wouldn't be so sure. Most Pentax lenses with a screw-drive focus faster than with the SDM. And 80-200 is very well known as a very fast focusing lens (D FA*, on the other hand, is known as a lens with a moderate AF speed). I would also be great if someone compared their AF speed side by side.
As for quick-shift, there is and advantage of D FA* but only marginal because FA* also has a quick option for manual focusing.
Kunzite is right. This isn't an old style SDM lens and focuses a lot faster and precisely than one of those lenses do.
07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #23

it would be very interesting to see a comparison between the two. in the same conditions.

07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
As for the comparison of the FA*80-200 with the Tamron and Sigma equivalents, I'd wonder if sample variation may be a factor in the PF result.
A good reason for why any comparison as suggested in this thread would end up being mostly meaning less. I suspect my Sigma is better then the sample tested...

Anyway..... we'd need to send the lenses to Norm .... and he doesn't have a K-1 (yet).
07-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A good reason for why any comparison as suggested in this thread would end up being mostly meaning less.
Which is why a number of people testing different samples, but using the same methodology, would be useful.
07-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Which is why a number of people testing different samples, but using the same methodology, would be useful.
You have far greater faith in people then me. Generally, I can't repeat what I did yesterday with any meaningful consistency.....

Wife just told me to add..... "and get it right"

Professinals* at Dpreview can't even get a K-1 to focus..... what hope is there.

*note: I showed the same level of skill spelling professional as Dpreview do in their reviews.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-05-2016 at 04:00 PM.
07-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You have far greater faith in people then me. Generally, I can't repeat what I did yesterday with any meaningful consistency.....

Wife just told me to add..... "and get it right"
She's just complying with her position description...

Anyway, if you get enough testers, the inconsistencies will even themselves out.
07-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
One stop(!) ahead in sharpness!!??? What does than mean? Stops is about exposure....
Probably in terms of narrower aperture required to achieve the same resolution as the D-FA*.
using the same methodology, would be useful.
I'm not sure reviewing the FA* 80-200 is that useful in itself, other than to grant or take away bragging rights. If I am thinking of buying a fast 70-200 zoom, I'm not that interested in how a long time discontinued lens with limited availability in the used market performs.

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 05:09 PM ----------

if you get enough testers, the inconsistencies will even themselves out.
The inconsistencies eventually make the results meaningless.
07-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

She's just complying with her position description...

Anyway, if you get enough testers, the inconsistencies will even themselves out.
All good fun.... most of the problem with these type of lenses is that they are all very good. A well executed photo will be fab with any of them.

In a way it's sort of perfect...... we have affordable (Tamron), special legacy and new to choose from.
07-05-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Probably in terms of narrower aperture required to achieve the same resolution as the D-FA*.I'm not sure reviewing the FA* 80-200 is that useful in itself, other than to grant or take away bragging rights. If I am thinking of buying a fast 70-200 zoom, I'm not that interested in how a long time discontinued lens with limited availability in the used market performs.[COLOR="Silver"]
Well, fine, it wouldn't be useful for you. There are others who may prefer to not spend the same amount of money, but would like to know how things stack up.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The inconsistencies eventually make the results meaningless.
What can I say? Yes and no. Statistical variation could take you either way, depending on magnitude and scatter.