Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M 100/4 Macro with flash

Hello,

I have borrowed a M 100/4 Macro for few days..It works fine in natural light, but when I fire the built in flash, it's metering goes all wrong-In 'X mode' it overexposes at f4 and then underexposes consistantly with smaller apertures (correct exposure at f11)...

In 'Av mode'+ builtin flash, it overexposes at all exposures (I think it gets fired wide open even if other apertures are set on the ring)..Has anybody tried this lens in Av mode with an external flash?
In 'M mode', even when the builtin flash is fired, the shutterspeed is of a natural light..but the exposure is correct..

this lens is in Mint condition and is offered to me for $200...I shoot BUGS and BUGS only! So is it worth it? I cant see the point of buying a macro lens which can't be used with a flash..

the super takumar 50/4 which I'm offered for $88 has given me very good results with the built in flash like this one

I need a more focal length than 50mm, but considering the M100/4's inability to work with the builtin flash at other exposures than f11, I don't think its worth $100 more than the Sup Tak?

If it works well with external flash, i'll buy it. If not, I wont!

07-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Hello,

I have borrowed a M 100/4 Macro for few days..It works fine in natural light, but when I fire the built in flash, it's metering goes all wrong-In 'X mode' it overexposes at f4 and then underexposes consistantly with smaller apertures (correct exposure at f11)...

In 'Av mode'+ builtin flash, it overexposes at all exposures (I think it gets fired wide open even if other apertures are set on the ring)..Has anybody tried this lens in Av mode with an external flash?
In 'M mode', even when the builtin flash is fired, the shutterspeed is of a natural light..but the exposure is correct..

this lens is in Mint condition and is offered to me for $200...I shoot BUGS and BUGS only! So is it worth it? I cant see the point of buying a macro lens which can't be used with a flash..

the super takumar 50/4 which I'm offered for $88 has given me very good results with the built in flash like this one

I need a more focal length than 50mm, but considering the M100/4's inability to work with the builtin flash at other exposures than f11, I don't think its worth $100 more than the Sup Tak?

If it works well with external flash, i'll buy it. If not, I wont!
The newer P-TTL metering is disabled with lenses that do not have the A setting on the aperture ring. The options then become using a flash that has automatic settings using its own sensor rather than the camera sensor or using the guide number system to set the aperture on that lovely 100/4 M series macro you have.
07-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The built-in flash isn't going to work with macro at least not very well. $200 is over half way to a AF sigma 105mm macro . . .
07-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe this is obvious, but I screwed it up once. It seems that when you activate the flash the shutter speed is dropped down to your max sync speed (1/180s or something). In Av mode it won't change the aperture to compensate so you get overexposure in a lot of conditions (where there is a lot of light). Even if you stop down, if it is really bright, you might have to stop down a long way...

?

07-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Canadian rockies has it right.

The built in flashes only support p-TTL mode.

YOu would need a flash with auto setting, use the flash manually, or switch to an *istD or DS and external flash that supports TTL