Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rokinon 14mm Infinity Focus Problems on K1

With a new Rok. lens and new K1 body, I cannot get infinity focus on manual. Something is off. I have several other Rok. lenses, for Sony and othe bodies, and never had this problem before.

I am thinking about returning the lens, body or both; and just forget the whole thing.

I have checked the screws on the body mount and lens, and they are tight.

I notice, however, that the Pentax lens turns the opposite direction of my E-mount versions, as shown below.

In addition, I wonder what the red A means on the aperature dial?

woudl like to get this stinker working.

BTW, I have purchased at least 5 ROK lenses, and most have a defect, and have to be exchanged to get a good one.

Rick

Attached Images

07-09-2016, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
With a new Rok. lens and new K1 body, I cannot get infinity focus on manual. Something is off. I have several other Rok. lenses, for Sony and othe bodies, and never had this problem before.

I am thinking about returning the lens, body or both; and just forget the whole thing.

I have checked the screws on the body mount and lens, and they are tight.

I notice, however, that the Pentax lens turns the opposite direction of my E-mount versions, as shown below.

In addition, I wonder what the red A means on the aperature dial?

woudl like to get this stinker working.

BTW, I have purchased at least 5 ROK lenses, and most have a defect, and have to be exchanged to get a good one.

Rick
The "A" setting is what allows the camera to control the aperture electronically. Always leave the lens set to this position when using it with a DSLR (looks like yours might be set to F22).

As for infinity, if you're unable to obtain correct focus, even in live view, just get the lens exchanged. Note, however, that it's normal for true infinity not to coincide with the infinity mark on the lens; you may have to move the focus ring slightly to the left or right of the mark depending on the ambient conditions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That sounds like possibly a manufacturing problem with your particular copy of the lens. Do you have another Pentax body on which you can test the lens?

When the aperture ring is set to the red 'A' it means you are allowing the camera body to control the aperture, when it is set to something other than 'A' you are controlling the aperture from the lens, and the LCD will read "F--". To use the aperture ring as your method of control you will need to set the last option in the custom menu (before Reset) "Using Aperture Ring" to "2. Enable", (or on some Pentax cameras it's "Allow" I think)
07-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine focuses to infinity with the K-1 but as Adam said, the marking on the lens for infinity focus is not correct.

07-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It could be that you need to adjust the infinity hard stop......this lens is NOTORIOUS for being anywhere but correct....... I have not seen one that DIDNT need to be calibrated.......I doubt you will find one that Doesn't need calibrated......just the nature of the Beast.
This is nothing unusual......Your lens is hitting the Hard Stop before infinity is reached.
07-09-2016, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #6

How do You calibrate a lens like this?
07-09-2016, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
How do You calibrate a lens like this?
I'm looking for it.......Give me a bit.

Here......
Calibrate the focus ring of the Samyang 14mm F2.8 | DSLR Astrophotography

The easy way is.....
1.......roll back textured grip on lens and remove strip of tape
2..... loosen 3 or 4 screws (DONT REMOVE)
3 ......focus lens to infinity testing with images as You go (Focus Peaking Helps)
4 .....move infinity stop on Ring (rotate Ring)
5......put on a piece of tape
6.......tighten screws
7.......unroll textured Grip

All Done

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 07-09-2016 at 03:33 PM.
07-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I figured out the "A' issue, by RADING THE MANUAL! Gosh, gee, something I should do more often.

It could be the Rok. lens and it could be the body. I went out today and got a couple of used older pentax lenses to see if they can infinity focus properly.

IS THERE ANYBODY IN SOUTHERN CA. PREFERABLY IN ORANGE COUNTY THAT HAS A K1 TO TEST THIS LENS.

---------- Post added 07-09-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I'
4 .....move infinity stop on Ring (rotate Ring)

All Done
Doies this move the actual infinity stop, or just move the scale? Sounded like it just moved the scale,
which does not help in my case.

07-10-2016, 04:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
I figured out the "A' issue, by RADING THE MANUAL! Gosh, gee, something I should do more often.

It could be the Rok. lens and it could be the body. I went out today and got a couple of used older pentax lenses to see if they can infinity focus properly.

IS THERE ANYBODY IN SOUTHERN CA. PREFERABLY IN ORANGE COUNTY THAT HAS A K1 TO TEST THIS LENS.

---------- Post added 07-09-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

Doies this move the actual infinity stop, or just move the scale? Sounded like it just moved the scale,
which does not help in my case.
Your actually doing Both.....once the screws are loose....Your adjusting the hard stop once the lens is adjusted to correct infinity......and then setting the distance scale to the correct place.