Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pancake vs. Classic Limited Primes

Don't think anyone has asked this yet, but for those well-heeled enough to own both, and as some help for us still looking to satisfy LBA, what advantages are there to each type of Limited series, if any?
I have the 43mm/f1.9 Limited and love it, but in rounding out my collection of Limted primes am seriously torn between the 21mm vs 31mm and 70mm vs 77mm Limiteds. Do I go for a "pancake stack" or "The Three Amigos"? In particular, it might be helpful if anyone responding that has a "set" of two (i.e.; 21 and 31; 40 and 43; 70 and 77) if you could post or point us to photos taken with both so we can see what you're telling us.
Thanks!
Rob W

02-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You ask a tough question here. I have the 31 and 77. Will probably add the 43 later. The Pancakes are cool. I have shot the 40 a little ( borrowed). It is so cool. My gut feel is that it doesn't look like the 3 original lenses. It doesn't have the creamy look of the 3 originals. There was a post on DPR about 6 months or more ago that compared the 40 and 43 on night shots. All shot on tripod same settings etc. The 43 was considered by most to be the best. 40 looked more like a very good lens vs that special 43 magic. If you can't pull that thread up try asking and maybe the original poster will repost it. They were great comparision shots. The only true pancake of the three is the 40. The others are no where near as small. I will probably also buy the 40 pancake for the coolness factor. The 21 is the focal length I want but no where near the speed! The 70 is interesting, but the 77 is really small anyway. Other ad of the 3 amigos is they have aperture rings and will fit the film bodies or FF digital if it ever happens. Good luck. LBA is tough.
thanks
barondla
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA pancake (40mm) as well as the 3 FA Limiteds are all superb lenses.

The other two pancakes (21 & 70mm) aren't really pancakes, and they'll only work with on DSLR bodies. The 40mm, however, supports both film and digital as it's basically an improved version of the original M pancake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #4

Hello everybody,
in the most used Pentax forum in Germany I created a poll about some combinations of old and new limiteds (only combinations, which I consider as useful for myself):
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Tauglichkeit von Limited-Kombinationen

Of course it's german, but the results of the poll is clear.

There were some combinations, which were not possible answers, but recommended sometimes in the answers of the persons:
DA21 / FA31 / FA77 (maybe additionally DA40) and
FA31 / FA77 (puristic solution).

I think this could be interesting for everybody even though it was no exactly your question.

Best regards,
Jacob

02-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I think it's really hard to compare the two series for a number of reasons. I bought the three "pancakes" simply with the goal of finding the sweet spot between maximum image quality and minimum size and weight. If bulk weren't a factor (although it's a big one with me), my prime kit would be a DA 21 (wide angle), an FA 31 ("normal" FOV) and an FA 77 (faster and a little more reach than a DA 70).

BTW, if you want a fast "normal" lens of moderate size and weight, an FA 35/2 ain't no slouch.

Jer
02-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Pancakes vs. Oldies

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Don't think anyone has asked this yet, but for those well-heeled enough to own both, and as some help for us still looking to satisfy LBA, what advantages are there to each type of Limited series, if any?
Old Limiteds: Designed for film.
Pancakes: Designed for APS-C sensors.
Pancakes just have newer technology and are smaller with various improvements. The dropped 'features' are unnecessary for digital cameras. And, they are less expensive. I find the focal lengths more appropriate and convenient for digital cameras.
02-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Limited Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacob Quote
Hello everybody,
in the most used Pentax forum in Germany I created a poll about some combinations of old and new limiteds (only combinations, which I consider as useful for myself):
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Tauglichkeit von Limited-Kombinationen

Of course it's german, but the results of the poll is clear.

There were some combinations, which were not possible answers, but recommended sometimes in the answers of the persons:
DA21 / FA31 / FA77 (maybe additionally DA40) and
FA31 / FA77 (puristic solution).

I think this could be interesting for everybody even though it was no exactly your question.

Best regards,
Jacob
As I cannot read in German, I think I fall into the first catagory except for this;

I have the 21, 40 and 70 and will be deivered the 31 in a couple of weeks.
02-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Benjikan, wait till you shoot the 31. It is something else. What a look it has.
thanks
barondla