Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 02:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma says No

Hi, I recently wanted to purchase one of two lenses. Sigma 150-600mm and/or 300-800mm. I wrote to the Sigma office in the UK, asked if there was any chance of the two lenses being made for the Pentax mount. The reply I received was one that left me amazed. Sigma Japan have no intention of making these two lenses for Pentax, because Pentax do not sell enough units to warrant the cost of producing them, They do not think that there is enough demand for their product to be purchased.
This has now left me with only one direction and that is to purchase another make of Camera. I have been a loyal Pentax owner user for over 45 years, with the FF almost available in the UK. I find myself wondering why I could buy a Nikon D720 and the 150-600mm contemporary lens for less than the cost of the New FF body, which I have been waiting what seems a lifetime only to find the Lens I would like to bolt on, is not available in Pentax. the Sport Lens would only just be a Little bit over if I went down that route.
Its a sad day when in my opinion the Best camera maker, is not supported by a major lens maker. I read in articles they are plenty of Pentax lenses available, maybe there is, I have great difficulty getting or finding them, I like nature and Military, so short lens are useless for my interests.
So my life long collection will have to take second place, I will not sell them.
I hope the New FF is a crowd puller and that Sigma changes its policy, sadly I will have moved on because I cannot wait any longer.

Regards

John

07-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by waddojohn Quote
I hope the New FF is a crowd puller and that Sigma changes its policy, sadly I will have moved on because I cannot wait any longer.

It is unfortunate that you feel the need to move away from Pentax John. It is still such early days for the K-1, that anything could happen in the next 12 months. From all that I have seen and read so far, the K-1 is definitely a crowd puller and new lenses are sure to be in the pipeline. Hopefully you will have a change of heart, but if not, I wish you well and hope you get the gear you desire. Good luck in the future for you.
07-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I find myself wondering why I could buy a Nikon D720 and the 150-600mm contemporary lens for less than the cost of the New FF body, which I have been waiting what seems a lifetime only to find the Lens I would like to bolt on, is not available in Pentax.
That's an interesting comparison. You could also say that a Pentax K1 + DFA150-450 cost less than a 645z body only. The 150-600mm contemporary lens is you get what you pay for. At the long end, the AF speed is approximately 3 times slower than a Pentax DFA150-450. It is nowhere written in Sigma's specifications. You discover it after you receive the lens. Feel free to purchase a Sigma 150-600 C.

If you want something that rocks, you would consider a Canon 7DII and a 100-400 II , because this beats any other combos in terms of sharpness and AF speed. Otherwise, you can get a sigma 50-500 to mount on you K50 , for less than half the cost of the Nikon combo.
07-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The older Sigma 50-500 or 150-500mm lenses might be viable alternatives, as would the D FA 150-450mm.

The lack of availability of Sigma lenses for Pentax is old news, sadly. Hopefully more options will become available over time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I agree its sad that you have very restricted options in the super tele region with Pentax. I had the same thoughts a few years ago. I went on with Pentax having also used Nikon equipment and I'm not regretting it! What I could propose is to get the K-1 which is a different league camera and combine it with the DFA 150-450. 450mm is not too long for FF but I'm sure (and I know) that Pentax is planning to release (super) tele primes. I also hope that at least the Tamron-Pentax cooperation will bring a 150-600 for K mount either from Tamron or from Pentax like the 2 DFAs (but that is just an estimation).

Anyway the K-1 + DFA 150-450 combo works fine for me at this moment. You could even get the K-3 or 3II for even less money and better reach for your photographic needs. Also bear in mind that when pro level tele lenses will become available from Pentax it will be in a different price category than those prosumer zooms from Sigma-Tamron...

If you are not in a hurry to get a 150-600 lens with some crop sensor camera (if it is the D7200 that you mean at your post) then you could stay with Pentax. If such a lens-system is your priority there are many options in other camera makers and not only Canonikon that you can consider.
07-13-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

DA560 is not an option for you? Or DFA 150-450?

I own Sigma 150-500 myself and actually I think about selling it, because I use it only seldom. I tend to prefer either DA560 or DA*300 with 1.4x TC.

Of course now with FF there's need for longer lens. But then it will be huge and heavy, surely nothing for handheld shooting.
I still think APS-C is much more useful in this case.
07-13-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This looks like a chicken/egg scenario as Sigma refuses to produce K mount AF lenses because Pentax cameras aren't doing well...it hasn't occurred to them they are, in part responsible for them not selling so well by restricting lens options for photographers.

07-13-2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far back as I can remember, sigma never fully supported all the camera makers with 100% of their lens line, and clearly outside canon and Nikon, I do not recall on the super tele range, anything except the 70-200/2.8, the 300/2.8 and the 500/4.5. All the rest of their offerings were pretty much limited to Nikon and cannon

Last edited by photolady95; 07-13-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: fixed typo
07-13-2016, 04:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Like you said the choise is a bit limited when it comes to supertele lenses. However, the situation may not be quite as grim as you described.
Like someone mentioned, the Sigma and Tamron 150-600' s are prosumer lenses. Whether they are good enough of course depends on the user, but they definitely do not live up to my expectations.
For the time beeing I am using primes in the long end, a Sigma 300/2,8 , a Sigma 500/4,5 occasionally combined with a 1,4 X TC. In terms of performance this setup is in a league of it's own compared to the prosumer zooms. Of course this setup does not provide the versatility of a zoom. However, if you prioritise image quality, this is a viable option.
07-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the standard answer they have been instructed from Japan to say. We don't know how actively Sigma are considering to produce those lenses in K mount or how they are evaluating Pentax FF sales. I'm sure emails like yours gives them a little feedback on the demand.

Another wildcard is if Pentax will support their new 55-300mm PLM lens on K-1 and how that will ease Sigmas work on making K mount lenses. Sigma argued that the mechanical aperture leaver was to costly to implement, but obviously that problem may go away with electronic aperture control.
07-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There are two reasons that may make Sigma change their direction some time - a) Pentax seems to be expanding their market share through the success of recent models and b) in an interview the Sigma CEO identified the physical aperture lever as a main reason that drives up the cost of adapting their lenses to Pentax, and with the new electronic coupling being introduced by Pentax that will change.

So not all hope is lost.
07-13-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Possible troll alert... user with less than 20 posts, giving up on Pentax.

I swear these hissy fits are generated on a computer somewhere in Nikon headquarters.

"The Sigma/Tamron 150-600 is the only lens for me."

Sigma doesn't even pay Pentax licensing fees. They reverse engineer and their products don't function 100% like Pentax product.
The Sigma 150-600 isn't as good as the Pentax 150-450 with a TC. Not even close, so you're in love with a product that isn't even the best solution, you're complaining about not being able to buy a cheap knock off.

So you essentially want Pentax to provide you with a body so you can use cheap glass. I'm pretty sure that's not in their business plan.

I have several Sigma lenses, and they are just not as functional as Pentax lenses.

My take is, if the lens love of your life is a Sigma, buy what ever body goes with it. Clearly none of your Pentax lenses are the "lens love of your life" so you probably shouldn't have been with Pentax in the first place. As my photography teacher used to say, find the lens you love and buy the body that goes with it. I just find it hard to believe the lens love of your life is some third party un-licensed knock off that is clearly inferior to the Pentax option in every regard, except price.

I guess we are supposed to apologize that Pentax doesn't make cheap.

So your choice says a lot about you. You're not a fan of any Pentax lens apparently, and you probably shouldn't own one. It was an ill advised choice to begin with. Good luck with your D7200.

QuoteQuote:
I have been a loyal Pentax owner user for over 45 years, with the FF almost available in the UK.
There will be lot's of buyers for your old K-moount glass. You can sell all that stuff you don't want to buy your beloved 150-600. There are lots of folks out there who will appreciate it.

Last edited by normhead; 07-13-2016 at 05:59 AM.
07-13-2016, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Hi, I recently wanted to purchase one of two lenses. Sigma 150-600mm and/or 300-800mm. I wrote to the Sigma office in the UK, asked if there was any chance of the two lenses being made for the Pentax mount. The reply I received was one that left me amazed. Sigma Japan have no intention of making these two lenses for Pentax, because Pentax do not sell enough units to warrant the cost of producing them, They do not think that there is enough demand for their product to be purchased.
They have said that repeatedly in the past. This is how every company operates and it's not about to change.

QuoteQuote:
I find myself wondering why I could buy a Nikon D720 and the 150-600mm contemporary lens for less than the cost of the New FF body,
The explanation for that would be that [cost of D7200]+[cost of 150-600] < [cost of K-1].

QuoteQuote:
Its a sad day when in my opinion the Best camera maker, is not supported by a major lens maker. I read in articles they are plenty of Pentax lenses available, maybe there is, I have great difficulty getting or finding them, I like nature and Military, so short lens are useless for my interests.
There are the already mentioned 150-450 and 560mm lenses. If you're really looking at the Sigma 300-800 any of these is within your budget.

QuoteQuote:
That's the beauty of life - nobody is forcing you to stay with Pentax.
07-13-2016, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

....jumper.... we got a jumper here!!!!!
07-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're using a crop sensor then the DFA 150-450 + DA 1.4 AW tc is the way to go, and even on the K1 it is usable, but you will need to crop. That gives a weather sealed 630mm f/8 which I've had no problems with AF on my K3 and K1.

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 06:46 AM ----------

Ohh, adn that combo is quite sharp, even wide open. I had the 150-500 and it can't touch the DFA 150-450 for sharpness on the long end, and when coupled with the 1.4 the DFA 150-450 still beats the 150-500 in sharpness at the long end, and gives more reach.
Closed Thread