Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks OK. Full frame will draw more from a lens than aps-c because a big part of the image circle is used. In the final results defects will be compressed as well as sharpness.

09-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the advantages of the K1 with this lens is that the purple fringing isn't any worse at the pixel-level than it was on my K-01, so on a full-frame image, it isn't nearly as annoying.

Of course, if I shoot in crop mode, it obviously is just as annoying, but I try not to do that... :-)

I imagine I wouldn't like this lens nearly as much on a K3...

But honestly, until something else comes along that fully covers the frame for less than $500, I can't see a really good alternative...

- Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 09-04-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added the last line...
09-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
But honestly, until something else comes along that fully covers the frame for less than $500, I can't see a really good alternative...
Buying an $1800, 36 MP, FF body with the intent of using a $150 Tamron or Sigma 70-300 mm lens as your telephoto really doesn't make much sense and will ultimately end in disappointment. They work fairly well on aps-c bodies in strong light and stopped down to the f/8-f/11 range. If you already own one of these, by all means use it. Will a new K mount FF long zoom reaching 300mm come along for under $500? Don't hold your breath. And if Tamron and Sigma do release new and improved 70-300's in that price range, don't expect to see a K mount version either.
09-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
reeftool, I think you misunderstand.

My Tamron 70-300 significantly predates the K1. I bought it for the K10, and I like it because it is a full frame lens that takes decent pictures, and as a bonus, it has an aperture ring, so it works a treat on my old film cameras if I ever play with that whimsy.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the results on the K1. Like you, I wasn't expecting much, but after spending some time with it, I feel it works far better than it should considering what I paid for it. And the high-iso capability of the K1 lets me stop down a bit where the purple fringing isn't so bad. The relatively low pixel density of the K1 compared to a K3, for example, helps here.

I'm actually rather annoyed at Pentax for not having a full frame version of the 55-300 out by now. By all reports it is superior to the Tamron except the APS-C image circle. The brand new DA version is $399. Surely for $100 they could do something about the image circle...

Other alternatives are the DFA 70-200 f2.8 and similar takes from other manufacturers, but I don't need the speed, and I don't want the weight. I want a decent travel zoom that's relatively light and WR, which those are not. Or I could spend $1300 on a 60-250 and void the warranty removing the baffle and still have a heavy lens. If I had one already, I might risk it, but not at this point. And if they upgraded that lens to cover full frame, I would consider it, but right now it doesn't, and I don't want to spend that kind of money on a half-measure, even if I was OK with the size.

I would certainly consider an improved 70-300 from Tamron or Sigma (or anyone else, really). If there were to be lenses those manufacturers supported in K-mount, I would expect those would be the ones. It's an obvious upgrade from a single lens kit with a much broader appeal than high end stuff or niche primes. My only concern there would be if the lenses were actually improved...

At the end of the day, this is about matching what I need from my kit. The Tamron is my best, albeit imperfect, match at this point in the market. I hope that changes, but I'm not in a great hurry...

-Eric

09-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm actually rather annoyed at Pentax for not having a full frame version of the 55-300 out by now.
Has anybody tried this lens on the K-1 yet for full frame compatibility? I know the old version gets pretty close (but no Cigar).
09-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
reeftool, I think you misunderstand.

My Tamron 70-300 significantly predates the K1. I bought it for the K10, and I like it because it is a full frame lens that takes decent pictures, and as a bonus, it has an aperture ring, so it works a treat on my old film cameras if I ever play with that whimsy.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the results on the K1. Like you, I wasn't expecting much, but after spending some time with it, I feel it works far better than it should considering what I paid for it. And the high-iso capability of the K1 lets me stop down a bit where the purple fringing isn't so bad. The relatively low pixel density of the K1 compared to a K3, for example, helps here.

I'm actually rather annoyed at Pentax for not having a full frame version of the 55-300 out by now. By all reports it is superior to the Tamron except the APS-C image circle. The brand new DA version is $399. Surely for $100 they could do something about the image circle...

Other alternatives are the DFA 70-200 f2.8 and similar takes from other manufacturers, but I don't need the speed, and I don't want the weight. I want a decent travel zoom that's relatively light and WR, which those are not. Or I could spend $1300 on a 60-250 and void the warranty removing the baffle and still have a heavy lens. If I had one already, I might risk it, but not at this point. And if they upgraded that lens to cover full frame, I would consider it, but right now it doesn't, and I don't want to spend that kind of money on a half-measure, even if I was OK with the size.

I would certainly consider an improved 70-300 from Tamron or Sigma (or anyone else, really). If there were to be lenses those manufacturers supported in K-mount, I would expect those would be the ones. It's an obvious upgrade from a single lens kit with a much broader appeal than high end stuff or niche primes. My only concern there would be if the lenses were actually improved...

At the end of the day, this is about matching what I need from my kit. The Tamron is my best, albeit imperfect, match at this point in the market. I hope that changes, but I'm not in a great hurry...

-Eric
Sorry but I took your post to imply that the Tamron 70-300 was a suitable FF telephoto solution to K1 owners. If you only use it outdoors on bright sunny days shooting at f/11 on a tripod, it may well be suitable. I'm a long time Sigma 70-300 user and my lens has generally been a good performer for me. I've used it since day one on my K10D. Unfortunately, Tamron and Sigma appear to have abandoned the K mount. I also have a Sigma 150-500 that is FF and I have seen a few decent shots posted from the K1 with that lens and it's Bigma sister, the 50-500.

You're right, Pentax really needs to step up and get a reasonably priced telephoto that covers the FF circle if they are serious about competing with the big dogs. That said, while in the future I may pick up a K1, I will also be holding on to an APS-C body where you have an advantage with a telephoto. I shoot a lot of sporting events, mostly motorcycle racing, where I can't get too close. I have been extremely satisfied with my K5. I generally use the big Sigma and also a K300/4 which is sharp wide open. The conditions often force me to use manual focus (catch in) and the results from that old 300 have been very good. I also have no thought of giving up two of my favorite wide lenses, the DA 10-17 and DA 15 Limited so APS-C is here to stay in my stable.

There still haven't been many examples posted but a quick Google search will bring up plenty of Nikon D810 shots with this lens, a camera with a similar 36 MP sensor.
09-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have shot my Tam70-300 a little bit on K1, though only a little bit at my sons baseball games.. As I recall it was a better experience all around for me on K1 than K3/K5/K100D....This stirs me to take it for a fresh spin because at the time (back in May, end of baseball season) I found myself preferring FA80-320 over it, as the colors were turning out better, and I also got the bit of extra reach...

10-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Sorry but I took your post to imply that the Tamron 70-300 was a suitable FF telephoto solution to K1 owners.
Actually the sensor size require far less from the lens than APSC. You may find the 150$ tamron to be more similar to a 60-250 on APSC than a 55-300 or itself on your previous body because of that. On photozone, on full frame, the sigma 70-300 beat the DA*300 on K5 by a significant margin. It has a clear weakness at 300mm border/corner but at other focal length or at 300mm near the center manage very well. And the new tamron version (not available in K-mount, I agree) has better corner at 300mm than DA*300 center on K5.

Sure if you do heavy crop the APSC might still win and you find the lack of sharpness but if your subject fill the frame, you'd benefit from 30-40% gain in MTF due to the sensor size meaning the mere 150$ lens might beat the best APSC prime in the right circonstances...

Anway what choice do we have available for buying? For zoom lenses that fully support FF in K-mount for that range there 70-300 from tamron or sigma, sigma 50-500 and Pentax DFA150-450 and the last 2 ask for quite some money. If you are not a heavy user of long lenses, theses 70-300 may be your best choice, even if you are an FF owner.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-01-2016 at 10:47 AM.