Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 04:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lemonsoda Quote
My preferred option would be a Sigma 150-600 with PK mount.
So why on the K-1? Is it better than the 800E?

07-15-2016, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

In my opinion? Yes. The K-1 would be the perfect camera for me - I like the handling, the menus, the IQ, things like in-body-SR and PSR. But I need roundabout 600mm on FF for my wildlife photography. And with the TK mounted on 150-450, the AF of K-1 didn't perform well. So I go along with K-3 II, DA*300 + TK as the "lightweight wildlife stuff" (and all the other pleasure of shooting Pentax) and the D800e + 150-600 for "FF wildlife".
07-15-2016, 05:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

In my opinion? Yes. The K-1 would be the perfect camera for me - I like the handling, the menus, the IQ, things like in-body-SR and PSR. But I need roundabout 600mm on FF for my wildlife photography. And with the TK mounted on 150-450, the AF of K-1 didn't perform well. So I go along with K-3 II, DA*300 + TK as the "lightweight wildlife stuff" (and all the other pleasure of shooting Pentax) and the D800e + 150-600 for "FF wildlife".
Thanks for the answer. I hope that Tamron will offer the 150-600 for K mount. There were rumours that they are designing a new 150-600 to compete with the Sport version of the Sigma lens. If it's true then I wouldn't be surprised if it would also come in K-mount (or as a pentax rebadged lens).
07-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I think the difference is too big... is the 5DMkIII's AA filter that strong? Can we rule out issues with the Canon?
Anyway, with all due respect to beholder3 - which I consider an experienced shooter which doesn't post nonsense - I'd wait for an independent test showing the same difference.

What hmmm?

You can find the other 10.000 posts on pentaxians.de and dslr-forum.de
Really? Why would I?

07-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I own two cameras so I just wanted to find the best lens for real far away tele subjects. The Canon was set for lightness and speed anyhow.

I just wondered if plugging a 600mm on the Canon would be a better solution than the DFA on the K-1 and if the Sigma would perform signfificantly better than the TC+ 100-400 combo (which it does not, the Sigma's sucking OS makes it even a less fun option even if it wasn't larger, heavier, slower and cheap feeling plastic fantastic - the latter compared to the very high quality build DFA and EF).

The shots shown were alread best of and included manually focussed ones so no, AF is not a topic here.

The Canon JPG engine is not competitive to Pentax, so the embedded JPGs are not the best you can get, and that explains about 10% of the difference.

I worked on the raws in LR and they came out a little better, but more detail? Not really.
Actually the K-1 DNGs are much more malleable and using LRs raw sharpening makes the difference even larger.

It does come down to +60% pixelcount induced sharpness and no AA filter.

Keep in mind the images are crops beyond 150% magnification. That is sick. For all practical purposes the details and sharpness on the Canon lens combos is good enough for everything.
If you want to max out details then Canon 22 Mpx with AA filter is just not the optimum as the shorter lens on the K-1 delivers more details than extra 200mm on the Canon.

And the Canon option with competitive pixelcount and no AA-filter 5DsR, costs a whopping +1.600 EUR or +100% more than the K-1. It does not help nearly enough that the Sigma lens is 600 EUR cheaper than the Pentax one. And I would not want to sacrifice SR or DR either.

Anyone with those combos feel free to show different results of the same subject.
07-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I own two cameras so I just wanted to find the best lens for real far away tele subjects. The Canon was set for lightness and speed anyhow.

I just wondered if plugging a 600mm on the Canon would be a better solution than the DFA on the K-1 and if the Sigma would perform signfificantly better than the TC+ 100-400 combo (which it does not, the Sigma's sucking OS makes it even a less fun option even if it wasn't larger, heavier, slower and cheap feeling plastic fantastic - the latter compared to the very high quality build DFA and EF).

The shots shown were alread best of and included manually focussed ones so no, AF is not a topic here.

The Canon JPG engine is not competitive to Pentax, so the embedded JPGs are not the best you can get, and that explains about 10% of the difference.

I worked on the raws in LR and they came out a little better, but more detail? Not really.
Actually the K-1 DNGs are much more malleable and using LRs raw sharpening makes the difference even larger.

It does come down to +60% pixelcount induced sharpness and no AA filter.

Keep in mind the images are crops beyond 150% magnification. That is sick. For all practical purposes the details and sharpness on the Canon lens combos is good enough for everything.
If you want to max out details then Canon 22 Mpx with AA filter is just not the optimum as the shorter lens on the K-1 delivers more details than extra 200mm on the Canon.

And the Canon option with competitive pixelcount and no AA-filter 5DsR, costs a whopping +1.600 EUR or +100% more than the K-1. It does not help nearly enough that the Sigma lens is 600 EUR cheaper than the Pentax one. And I would not want to sacrifice SR or DR either.

Anyone with those combos feel free to show different results of the same subject.
If you need magnification and the lens sharp enough, go for a 24MP APSC body. that cheaper even in Canon and give you more reach/details. Counting the lens is sharp enough.
07-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
... And with the TK mounted on 150-450, the AF of K-1 didn't perform well...
Then you have the wrong settings or a faulty copy of the 150-450. AF has worked better for me with the K-1 and 150-450 combo than any other Pentax body and lens combo I've tried. Granted I haven't tried the Sigma 150-500, but the 150-450 focuses exceptionally fast and well for me.

07-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Then you have the wrong settings or a faulty copy of the 150-450. AF has worked better for me with the K-1 and 150-450 combo than any other Pentax body and lens combo I've tried. Granted I haven't tried the Sigma 150-500, but the 150-450 focuses exceptionally fast and well for me.
He is using a teleconverter though, but expecting any f>4 lens to perform well with one is wishful thinking IMO.
07-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
He is using a teleconverter though, but expecting any f>4 lens to perform well with one is wishful thinking IMO.
Exactly. PDAF points like f5.6 or wider to focus. There has to be enough light spread to hit the two detectors.
07-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I have a K-1 with the DFA 150-450 an a D800e with Sigma 150-600 C at home. The K-1/150-450 is sold an waits for shipping. Must I write more?
The Sigma 150-600 is simply "sharp", even wide open and there is no way to get the same details by cropping a 450mm shot.

(Yesterday, I compared my Sigma to the Nikon 200-500 5.6 => same result.)

Ok, I don't shoot roofes at 170 meters of distance with my telezoom, but birds an other animals at 5 to 50 meters. My preferred option would be a Sigma 150-600 with PK mount.
I see red.

Just my advice... one guy come to one conclusion and posts pictures to back it up. Another guy claims he's wrong, and posts nothing.

Always take the best evidence. That would be the guy who presents his data. Anyone can write the above post (highlighted in red) whether he actually has the lenses claimed or not. He doesn't even have to own a camera to make that post.
07-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Here a screenshot of the comparison of the JPGs embedded int he RAWs:
Thanks for the comparison photos. I would caution that the embedded JPEGs may or may not represent best quality from either camera. I believe that CR2 uses 20% compression and am not sure about the K-1 DNG. Edit: I am aware that comparison with the processed RAW along with deficiencies of the Canon JPEG engine were discussed in comments above.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think the difference is too big... is the 5DMkIII's AA filter that strong? Can we rule out issues with the Canon?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-16-2016 at 04:42 PM.
07-16-2016, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Must I write more?
Apparently, yes...though your purpose is a little muddy. From what I can tell, you are saying that you sold your Pentax gear because a Nikon/Sigma combo was better for your style of shooting. Fair enough, though it seems a bit strange to join an online forum just to post an off-topic comment.

Steve

(...Dale Carnegie rolls over in grave...again...)
07-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the comparison photos. I would caution that the embedded JPEGs may or may not represent best quality from either camera. I believe that CR2 uses 20% compression and am not sure about the K-1 DNG. Edit: I am aware that comparison with the processed RAW along with deficiencies of the Canon JPEG engine were discussed in comments above.
I did add the LR processed versions in full res to the folder here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlknipser/albums/72157649680231157
See for yourself.

JPG compression is more of an issue with regrads to sky and other areas of little detail but slow color changes. Where there is small details JPG compression usually is not an issue, unless it is really, really strong, which is not the case for the embedded images.
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have received my degree from the Normhead School of Skeptical Thinking...and to be honest, I put little or no confidence in any tests I see on the internet. There must be a thousand variables on most any test like the one done here......if you do all thousand of them, I won't have time to analyze the results......

The best test is to just buy it and try it...if you like it, that's great. If not, send it back and try something else.

I always find it sort of unusual that these tests always seem to confirm the greatness of what the testing poster owns or shoots with.......did anyone ask a Canon or Sigma guy to perform the same test? Now that might be an interesting test!

Regards!
07-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

with the TK mounted on 150-450, the AF of K-1 didn't perform wel
Ugh.

Which TC was used w. K-1 and 150-450? The DA 1.4 TC isn't officially FF compatible. In K-1 crop mode it might perform OK optically, I guess, but it will still make the 150-450 a f5.6-f8 lens, so the AF may struggle.

Also put a 1.4 TC on any Tamron or Sigma 150-600 + D810, and the optical or AF results won't be great either, particularly at the longest end.