Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma follow up

I understand why the other Sigma thread was closed.

In the overall context, I just wanted to mention that the new KAF4 mount might create interest from Sigma and Tamron because the development cost of a new mount that no longer requires a lot of relatively unusual mechanical elements will be considerably lower. It's a shame that Pentax will only support the new model on a few current models (not the K-3), but understandable. It might also be the case that Tamron (and Tokina) have agreements with Ricoh not to provide the mount on the newer lens designs - given tech sharing having taken place with each brand. Presumably, Sigma is not at all encumbered and might be overlooking a relatively good opportunity, or at least perhaps they are now re-evaluating.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 07-13-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: missing word
07-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps, but since Nikon lenses use the lever, the coupling will likely remain. Sigma hasn't switched over to the the E type mount yet, and the probably won't until G type lenses are a thing of the past.

I think demand will remain the main driving force in the long term.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Now that Pentax has come out with the K-1, I think now would be the perfect time for Tokina & Tamron to make some deals with Pentax.

With Tokina it would be great, since they're starting to add more to their line up (they just released a 24-70 f2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8 not that long ago) and they have alot of options in the wide-angle lenses (11-35mm range) win both APS-C & FF formats.

With Tamron it would be great since they have had many dealings with Pentax for quite a while now. Even though they currently don't have any primes wider than 35mm, I wouldn't be surprised if they released some in the near future (24mm & 28mm) to go along with their new SP Series of lenses.

Plus, both companies has lenses that fills in some of the small gaps of what Pentax doesn't have.
07-16-2016, 12:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just wish all three third party lens manufacturers will consider making lenses for Pentax. I find it sad to see that they're not. Third party manufacturers provide options to Pentax users. The way I see it, it compliments the Pentax camera market though they are direct competitors for lenses. As a matter of fact if those lenses are WR, I would consider some of them.

07-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Now that Pentax has come out with the K-1, I think now would be the perfect time for Tokina & Tamron to make some deals with Pentax.
Tamron has made a few deals with Pentax. The 18-270 superzoom, and the recent 15-30 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 are tamron design. And apparently tamron sold quite a few 70-200 f/2.8 screw drive under its own brand to K1 owners.

Tokina? I am not sure, we still wait that 12-28 lens on APSC that has been on the roadmap for years and was released as Tokina lens years ago in other mounts.
07-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps, but since Nikon lenses use the lever, the coupling will likely remain. Sigma hasn't switched over to the the E type mount yet, and the probably won't until G type lenses are a thing of the past.

I think demand will remain the main driving force in the long term.
Agree everybody explain the lever is a very hard problem while Sigma and tamron had it for years on their least expensive lenses like the 70-300. If it cost 5 euros more to then, just sell the lens for 20 more at worst and that's done.

The real problem is that there not enough sales for sigma and tamron to release lenses for Pentax except the most common ones. And even they didn't release their latest models at all. But make Pentax 20% of market share for 2-3 years, and you'll find that the full tamron and sigma line up will be back there again. Maybe even Voigtlander, Tokina and Zeiss.
07-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The way I see it is Pentax is behind in AF. Fix the AF and you'll attract a lot of new customers whether APSC or FF.
07-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The way I see it is Pentax is behind in AF. Fix the AF and you'll attract a lot of new customers whether APSC or FF.
There no reason for anybody to switch if you are just as good as the others and far less known. You'd need something to standout. Marketing, lower prices or unique features.