Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens group replacement repair - DA* lens - thoughts?

My DA* 50-135 needs a repair. A few months ago I tripped and bumped the lens hood which broke the lens hood thread on the lens itself. Now the hood really doesn't screw in well and especially doesn't screw in well backwards for storage (in fact, it gets jammed sometimes).

Since I have a couple months of no weddings booked (wife is having a baby in the next few weeks) I sent it to the local Pentax repair centre and they've sent it away to Pentax Canada for a repair estimate as it's not something they can repair in-house. They feel it will need to have the front lens group replaced (apparently the part of the barrel that's broken is integral to the front lens group).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this repair? Is it "safe"? Should I trust that the Pentax repair people can even take the lens apart properly? (--A silly worry probably.) Will my lens ever be the same again? Will a new front lens group make a difference to my photos?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

(btw: I don't have the repair quote back yet. If the repair costs close to the price of a new lens, then I really have some thinking to do.)

Kent!

07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ksignorini Quote
My DA* 50-135 needs a repair. A few months ago I tripped and bumped the lens hood which broke the lens hood thread on the lens itself. Now the hood really doesn't screw in well and especially doesn't screw in well backwards for storage (in fact, it gets jammed sometimes).

Since I have a couple months of no weddings booked (wife is having a baby in the next few weeks) I sent it to the local Pentax repair centre and they've sent it away to Pentax Canada for a repair estimate as it's not something they can repair in-house. They feel it will need to have the front lens group replaced (apparently the part of the barrel that's broken is integral to the front lens group).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this repair? Is it "safe"? Should I trust that the Pentax repair people can even take the lens apart properly? (--A silly worry probably.) Will my lens ever be the same again? Will a new front lens group make a difference to my photos?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

(btw: I don't have the repair quote back yet. If the repair costs close to the price of a new lens, then I really have some thinking to do.)

Kent!
I've had Pentax Canada do lens repairs. They are at least as good as anyone else. I wouldn't trust anyone but them with a lens as new as the 50-135.
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

Don't know how, but the front of our 50-135 got damaged, has a bad scratch on it.

Whilst in SRS (buying another lens obviously), Chris rang up Pentax UK to get an estimate for me. The reply? 'Sorry mate, it's a write off!"

Basically because it's 'sealed', they say they will not do repairs on them!

Seeing as though the damage doesn't show up on any photos, and it is otherwise perfectly fine there isn't really a problem.

Might be worth checking your insurance cover!
07-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The Canadian Pentax Repair Center shares space with a muffler shop, and when the muffler guys aren't doing anything, they work on lenses.

Just kidding - don't worry.

07-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The Canadian Pentax Repair Center shares space with a muffler shop, and when the muffler guys aren't doing anything, they work on lenses.

Just kidding - don't worry.
oh, that's mean. that's REALLY mean. lolololol
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Kent!
If the optics are not affected and only the hood is broken , let it go. You will find you are a lot more unobtrusive and more approachable in a lot of occasion. There is a lot of ways you can avoid flare if any
That comes from a non-hood person. I put away all my hoods for both DA200mm and my Sigma 24-60mm. They are too menacing and intimidating for my purpose. But that is just me.

Do not bother with it even if the repair is $50.

Also if your lens filter thread is still intact get those flexi hood. They are just as good

Daniel
07-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'd follow Daniel's suggestion. I know we'd all like to keep things as if they were new but unfortunately S*** happens. I'd just get an aftermarket hood and use that. My DA16-45mm hood fell off while shooting in the middle of a river and I just bought a replacement rubber one that collapses (only because it's a zoom). The fixed plastic ones shoud do just fine.
07-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Whilst in SRS (buying another lens obviously), Chris rang up Pentax UK to get an estimate for me. The reply? 'Sorry mate, it's a write off!"

Basically because it's 'sealed', they say they will not do repairs on them!

!

That is patently nonsense. Replacing a front element is cheap and done within half an hour....
In fact, it so cheap that having filters for protection on your lenses will cost you more in the long run unless you are really good at denting lens elements...

07-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

!

They have to replace the front lens tubus. They don't replace the glass. This can be a quite expensive job (depends on how the lens in put together) as lots of dismantling needs to be done...
I had that done to a zoom lens once. The front lens tubus was broken after a fall accident. No glass damaged. It costed $1000
They basically had to rebuild the lens from the bottom up. Incidentally, Pentax Germany tried to fix it three times - it came back decentered and they finally said there was nothing more they could do. It was then sent to Japan and it came back as good as new.....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-20-2008 at 05:58 PM.